1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mortgage forgiven for woman, 90, who shot herself

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Ps104_33, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

AKRON, Ohio - Mortgage finance company Fannie Mae said it is forgiving the mortgage debt of a 90-year-old woman who shot herself in the chest as sheriff's deputies attempted to evict her.
    Addie Polk's plight was cited by Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, on Friday before the House voted to approve the $700 billion financial rescue package. Kucinich voted against the plan.
    Fannie Mae announced later Friday that it would dismiss its foreclosure action, forgive Polk's mortgage and allow her to return to the Akron home where she's lived since 1970.
    "Just given the circumstances, we think it's appropriate," Fannie Mae spokesman Brian Faith said, citing Kucinich's statement and news reports. "It certainly made our radar screen."

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/new...mortgageforgivenforwoman90whoshotherself.html

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am very happy for Addie Polk but I hope this doesn't start a trend.

I think someone needs to make the decision to put all foreclosures on hold until the $700 Bil has a chance to be sorted out.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Money is the name of the game. How heartless must someone be to throw a 90-year-old out of her home because she can't afford to pay for it? It took a drastic action on her part for them to realize her plight.

I have someone who owes me just under $3,000 for an RV he is buying from me. I rarely get any money from him, and it's always a small amount when he can send it. However, I will not evict him since I know what it's like to hurt financially. He does what he can, and that's good enough. If I could, I would forgive him that debt and even return the slightly more than $5,000 he has paid me thus far. He's on disability and hurting financially as I am. With his poor health I'll be surprised if he lives long enough to pay the rest of it. I let him move into my RV in Michigan and pay me as he can so that I could move to Florida.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You are the epitome of a Christian Sir...

The Lord will Bless you bountifully..

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Thank you. I hope God agrees with you. :godisgood: :jesus:

6. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

What's a 90-year-old woman doing with a mortgage in the first place?

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

Since she has lived there since 1970, that is 38 years. A long time for a mortgage. (Yes, I realize mortgages are refinanced and that there are second mortgages.)

But where is this woman's family? It would be interesting to know more of the details.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I wondered about that myself. I refinanced a mortgage once and ended up owing more than I originally paid for the house.