1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most dominant teams or athlete in history

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Dec 30, 2007.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

With all possibility of the Pats possibly completing a perfect season, I was thinking of which teams or athletes have been the most dominant in history, including recent history.

Who would you nominate?

Personally I think of Tiger Woods, and the Jordan era Bulls. Of course we can´t rule out the Miami Dolphins with Marino at the helm.

And though some would call me biased- The Detroit Redwings. They have the longest playoff appearance streak of any sport in history and it looks as if they will be contending for the cup this year as well.

How about some others?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Agreed on both accounts: hating to admit it, and that they should be considered.

Here it would have to be Boca Juniors, though as of late they have greatly disappointed me.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The 1927 NY Yankees; the Yankees overall, especially in the 20-30s era and the 50-60s era; the Bill Russell led Boston Celtics, with 11 titles in 13 years, including 8 consecutive ones; the UCLA Bruins under Johnny Wooden with 10 National Championships in 12 years including 7 consecutive ones; the 'Jordan- era Bulls'; Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Richard Petty, Otto Graham with 7 championships, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, and Tom Brady as championship quarterbacks, in football.

Oh uh' and how many titles was that that Dan Marino won again? :confused:

I seem to forget, somehow. :rolleyes:

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  5. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Yankees, Celtics, MJ, Wilt the Stilt, and Muhamad Ali.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Dallas Cowboys of the 1990's winning three Super Bowls in four seasons.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree with both of these.

The Patriots have to be up there. The 90's Cowboys. The Steelers of the 70s. The Yankees of long ago. The Celtics that won all those championships. UCLA under John Wooden. And as much as I hate to admit it the Dead Wings have been dominate in Hockey.

I am not a big fan of Tennis, but wouldn't Sampras and whats the guys name now that is so dominate need to be listed as well?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry, I missed the Cowboys, thinking they had already been mentioned. A few more have been mentioned or not, such as Chamberlain and George Mikan; Sampras, Federer, let's not forget Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova, and Rod Laver, in tennis, and since Ali was mentioned in Boxing, Larry Holmes, Jack Dempsey, and Rocky Marciano, would be other top heavyweights boxers, along with lesser weights, Ray Leonard and Theofilo Stevenson, among others, and perhaps a handful of the more overlooked who plied their trades in Olympic Sports - Mark Spitz, with 7 gold medals in swimming at one Olympic Games (11 total), and Al Oerter, four time consecutive gold medal winner in the discus, runner Carl Lewis, and cyclists Michael Induran and Lance Armstrong, to name a few more.

There really have been some outstanding athletes and teams, in many sports - and far too many to list, here.

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to remind me again of how many football titles Dan Marino won. For some reason, that one just keeps "slipping my mind", and I seem to need a little 'refresher' help with it.

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can't remember which year, but the Bulls team that won 70 games. They were as dominant as any team I have seen, with the single most dominant player of any sport in history.

10. PastorSBC1303

I agree web, they was 72-10.

It was the 95-96 season

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Are you saying that Marino was a dominant QB or that the Dolphins were dominant when he was the QB? Because I can agree that he was a dominant QB, but the Dolphins were not dominant during that time. During his time at QB, the Dolphins were always missing at least one piece of the championship puzzle, whether it was a running game, defense, or both.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well I was thinking of their perfect season. The a championship in any sport is the ultimate goal. I think there have been many teams who were dominant for years but never were able to achieve that ultimate prize. I look more at the consistency of playoff appearances, winning seasons, etc.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, and New England Patriots don't appear to have a greatest of running games either, but last time I checked the standings, all three were at or near "the top o' the heap", this year.

I'll check again.

Yep!

Three division Champions, and three first round byes in the playoffs!

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Um' - do you remember the perfect season?

Outta' curiosity, about how old were you then?

Ed

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The UCLA Bruins with John Wooden - from 63-75 they were 335-22 winning 10 national championships including 8 in a row...

the Red Auerbach Celtics with Bill Russell

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, 7 in a row, from 1967-1973. They were in the Final Four for 10 straight years, from 1967-1976, including 1976 under Gene Bartow, after John Wooden retired in 1975.

And John Wooden had a one year contract with a one year option as coach, and 'Red' Auerbach never even had a contract. Not bad, no?

Ed

#16 EdSutton, Dec 31, 2007
  17. PastorSBC1303

Marino was not their QB during their perfect season. Bob Griese was.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Quite agree!

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Except for Wembledon, Sampras wasn't really that dominant, IMO. But Federer is truly dominant and has been the second best claycourt player for the last 3yrs, which cannot be said of Sampras.

But Sampras won 14 slams; Federer is two behind at a much faster pace.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Are you real sure it was not Dan Marino? He was already 11 years old, (BTW, exactly ten days older than my bride), :love2: at the time. :rolleyes:

But you had to go and tell 'em, didn't ya'! :BangHead:

Ed

#20 EdSutton, Dec 31, 2007