1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most educated Baptist in history?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by jonathan.borland, Dec 4, 2008.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Is that the same Shurden who was at Carson Newman College in the 80s-90s?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Back to a thread I thought was long since dead.

There is a good deal of difference between 'erudite' and 'educated' in line with the question asked, and the thread title. I suppose 'erudite' which means "learned", is somewhat more subjective and is mostly dependent on the viewpoint of the reader, as there is not anywhere a formal standard for such, to my knowledge. Certainly several of those we have mentioned in this thread thus far, were extremely erudite, and often in contrast to many who were far more "educated", at least IMO.

I have another candidate for "the most educated Baptist" category, as well, namely the late church historian, theologian, pastor and evangelist, Dr. J. (James) Edwin Orr, who was a Baptist. Dr. Orr acquired 5 - count 'em, 5 doctorates, all of which were earned, in his academic career. His "education" resume would include the following, in order - J. Edwin Orr, M.A. (Northwestern University); Th.D. (Northern Baptist Theological Seminary, Chicago); D.Phil. (Oxford University); D.D. (University of South Africa); Th.D. (Serampore University); Ed.D. (University of California, Los Angeles).

Uh, folks, none of these institutions are exactly 'Diploma Mills' from what I've been able to ascertain, so I'll suggest Dr. Orr as the most educated Baptist in history. :thumbs:

Ed

3. yshwa4life

yshwa4life New Member

i for one found it very interesting to learn of all the persecution Baptists have endured from the "Reformers". Even to this day, many are labled Arminian heretics that preach a man centered salvation.

(including my Pastor)

As a patriotic American and Christian conservative with a profound understanding of the concept of being saved by grace through faith (trust me) and how that relates to our liberty here in the states, i've always considered myself in the Reformed camp. i even went so far (in my ignorance..sorry) as to align myself with dogmatic 5 point theology..not really having a clue what that meant.

i also realize that the President of the Baptist Theological Seminary in Texas is a dogmatic 5 pointer and quite honestly i really don't disagree with the scriptures they use to uphold their theology. i just disagree with their view of freewill. to them that's like punching God in the teeth.

i see no problem believing that God works within His created framework. It takes nothing away from His sovereignty imo. To me it makes Him even more amazing!

-yshwa4life:tonofbricks:

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I can only speak about the ones I've personally known, and I've known some VERY highly educated Baptist pastors. One talked way over my head with words I had never heard before and didn't understand, and I lost interest and left that church. I was there before he was, and he was a new pastor there.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I didn't think that Patterson was a five pointer. Rather, I thought it was the man at Southern.