1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mourning the loss of a beloved friend

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 26, 2008.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This morning after successfully cleaning a 16 X 20 livingroom carpet and a good half of a 16 X 16 nasty beige diningroom carpet, my beloved, much used Hoover Steam Vac began to have health problems.

First it was a leak that almost went unnoticed, until I saw a black spot on the carpet that hadn't been there before. Attempts at resuscitation, by adding more duct tape to what was already holding it together, failed but enabled the heroic Steam Vac to finish cleaning the nasty beige dining room carpet.

At the end however, its trusty motor was making a very high pitched whining noise as well as a very low pitched grinding sound. At this point I decided to put it out of its misery and not go on to the one last carpet that needs cleaning. As I pulled the Steam Vac off the diningroom carpet one last time, my decision proved to be correct as the Vac left a trail of black, greasy water behind it.

The Vac was a faithful cleaner throughout its 8 year life. It cleaned the many carpets in this house over and over as I used to clean them every 3 months and went to an every 6 month schedule only in the last two years when my arthritis forced the issue. Not only was it faithful to clean my carpets, but many times it was lent out to clean the carpets of others. The Vac never complained.

So good bye good friend and thank you for all your hard work. Barring a sudden miracle at the hands of T (seeing as how I didn't let the smoke out of the motor), you will be out on the rubbish heap next week. I'd keep you for an example to all the carpet cleaners that will assuredly come after you, but you would only add clutter to the house I was trying to get clean for the holidays. I'll have to rely on my memories of all the times we spent working together to get me through until I can afford to replace you.

RIP

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It's so hard to lose a friend at the holidays too . . .

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aww. Just bury the old goat and get a new, younger Oreck model.:laugh: They're much better looking, anyway. . .hehe

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I'm sorry for your loss, menageriekeeper.

What kind are you gonna get now? :)

5. menageriekeeper

I don't know. I really loved my old one and don't exactly have the budget for a new one. I'll have to do some research and some sewing too!

Thankfully, I won't need to clean the main carpets again until about Easter so I have a while. I'll borrow my MIL to do the one bedroom carpet (mine of course) that still needs cleaning.

T did say that he MIGHT be able to fix it if the motor noise I heard was from the drive belt getting wet...if there is a drive belt...but I have to wait until he gets time. :rolleyes: By that time, I'll have enough to buy a new one!

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Bwahahaha. I thought a person died.

I hated it when I had to RIP a vacuum cleaner that I had gotten at an estate sale for 25 dollars. It was sad.

It was a Hoover, but I have an Oreck now, and it really sucks well.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We got an Oreck once and I hated the thing! It didn't vacuum worth a ding dong! AND it cost enough it should have vacuumed via remote. Went back to a Kenmore and was much happier for much less ;)

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I like Kenmores well... and hoovers. Orecks are just light. FOr now.

9. menageriekeeper

Dyson vaccuums are where its at! Of all the vacs I've gone through it is still the best I've had and so far I haven't been able to kill it. I've had mine about 5 years or so now, maybe longer as I tend to forget how long I've had stuff and just the other day realized that my "new" dishwasher is nine years old and my "new" washer is 6 years old. :eek:

On a more positive note, after doing about a minutes worth of shopping the other day I found that a new steam vac isn't going to cost as much as I feared, but the new model isn't nearly as heavy as my old one. I'll have to find out if Hoover makes a heavier model, though a lighter version might be better for the old arthritis.

#9 menageriekeeper, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008
  10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have an oreck, and it's very hard to push, Robert does most of the vacuuming.

11. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry for your loss, menageriekeeper. I just hate when that happens. :(

But I love my Oreck. It's very light weight and sucks up pet hair mighty fine. :D