1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mushroom drug and mystical experiences

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JFox1, Jul 12, 2006.

1. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Scientists have done experiments with people using the drug made from a certain mushroom, psilocybin. Many of the people said that it was one of the most meaningful experiences they ever had.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13804613/print/1/displaymade/1098/

I know that many cultures and religions use drugs to get mystical experiences (the ancient Greek Bacchic mysteries used alcohol and certain American Indian tribes used peyote, for example), but I don't believe religious experiences should be forced, which is what you're doing when you use drugs to get a religious experience. If God wants to give you a religious experience, you'll get one. You won't need a drug. :Fish:

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This article was in the Washington Post yesterday. It was disturbing to me because the implication was that these experiences can be beneficial.

You said that you don't think religious experiences should be forced -- and I totally agree! But I don't even think the "experiences" from these hallucinogens are from God - they are totally deceptive. They are either from the person's own depraved mind or from Satan, or a combination of the two.

The use of drugs in the occult has been so entrenched in many cultures around the world since eons ago - that is why the word for the use of drugs in the Bible is translated as sorcery in passages where God condemns occult practices.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't know that I should post this or not, for fear that somebody may misunderstand and this I'm promoting this behavior, but when I lived in Key West, I smoked a lot of pot.

One night, a friend of mine brought me some peyote and we sprinkled some over some pot and smoked it.

After five or six times, I decided I wasn't really into it (I was never into any other drug than pot). Folks, I've got to tell you, I had the wildest hallucinations on that stuff.

A couple of times, I spoke to my father. It was really nice. We sat on the porch and opened up to one another and talked like we had never talked before. It was really nice...except for one small detail. At this point, my dad had been dead for about three years.

Looking back, I can only say STAY AWAY from that stuff.

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Neurology 2002;59:1337-1343
    Dose-related neurocognitive effects of marijuana use

K.I. Bolla, PhD, K. Brown, MPH, D. Eldreth, BA, K. Tate, BA and J.L. Cadet, MD [SIZE=-1]From the Department of Neurology (Dr. Bolla and D. Eldreth), Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Hopkins Bayview Research Campus; and Molecular Neuropsychiatry Section (K. Brown, K. Tate, and Dr. Cadet), NIH/NIDA-IRP, Baltimore, MD. [/SIZE]

Methods: A battery of neurocognitive tests was given to 28-day abstinent heavy marijuana abusers.
    Results: As joints smoked per week increased, performance decreased on tests measuring memory, executive functioning, psychomotor speed, and manual dexterity. When dividing the group into light, middle, and heavy user groups, the heavy group performed significantly below the light group on 5 of 35 measures and the size of the effect ranged from 3.00 to 4.20 SD units. Duration of use had little effect on neurocognitive performance. Conclusions: Very heavy use of marijuana is associated with persistent decrements in neurocognitive performance even after 28 days of abstinence. It is unclear if these decrements will resolve with continued abstinence or become progressively worse with continued heavy marijuana use.

There is no "recreational" use of the drug. It causes persistent mental deficits.

5. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kewl!!! Now nobody can say I'm square because I like Mushroom Soup.:laugh:

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The most meaningful events in my life were the births of my children. Each one was a definite altered mental state for me. It was God coming into my life with a gift of a human being for whom I was responsible.

Talk about your life-changing moments.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Far out man, look at all the pretty colors. :laugh:

8. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Related Link :D

and before anyone screams.... I'm a guitar player. it's the first thing I thought of! :laugh:

-WTD

9. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I did a lot of mushrooms and LSD before I was saved. I was addicted to tripping by the time I was seventeen. Quite a buzz.

Drugs are bad. Christ is better. Stay away from things like that.

10. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I've worked in a parole office for 22 years, and I've seen what drugs can do to people. I will never be convinced that halllucinogins are beneficial, not matter what that study with mushrooms said.