1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music of the Bible

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The CCM debate revisited in another thread reminded me of this fascinating work.

As many know, the Masoretic Texts of the Old Testament are punctuated with 'accent marks,' the meaning of which is uncertain. However, a late French musicologist, who was also Jewish, approached them as musical notation, and developed a translation key, which, when applied consistently throughout the entire text reveals a 'beautiful liturgical music.'

I think she was on to something, though otherwise-invested OT scholars unhindered by any kind of real musical expertise reject her hypotheses and experiments.

She, and many who admire her work, believe the 'original melodies' of the Old Testament, especially the Psalms, are preserved. I don't think there is any evidence of that, but I do think it likely that the Masoretes preserved the Temple tradition of the First Century. Anyway...

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is wonderful.
    Thank you.