1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MUST One Hold To A Physical Resurrection Of Jesus To Be saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the very body of Jesus that was placed in the tomb is what was resurrected yet I ask of what was it composed? I believe it would have to be of some incorruptible material, if material can be used, and it appeared as flesh and bone yet I notice that Jesus did not say flesh and blood. Also of interest to me along these lines is the resurrection described in Ezekiel 37 does not mention blood.

This is also interesting.

But some [man] will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

It is two questions not the same question asked two ways.

Similar to this statement. He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ,(1) that his soul was not left in hell,(2) neither his flesh did see corruption.

Or this. Men [and] brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. And. For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God,(1) fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and (2) saw corruption:

It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. Even with Christ? Howbeit that [was] not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. After what?

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

1 Cor. 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Now, let's take a look at four key words in verse 29:

Greek word for "flesh": sarx G4561

Thayer's definition
    1) flesh (the soft substance of the living body, which covers the bones and is permeated with blood) of both man and beasts

2) the body

a) the body of a man

b) used of natural or physical origin, generation or relationship

1) born of natural generation

Greek word for "glory": kauchaomai G2744

Thayer's
    1) to glory (whether with reason or without)

2) to glory on account of a thing

3) to glory in a thing

Greek word for "his": autos G846

Thayer's
    1) himself, herself, themselves, itself

2) he, she, it

3) the same

Greek word for "presence": enōpion G1799

Thayer's
    1) in the presence of, before

a) of occupied place: in that place which is before, or over against, opposite, any one and towards which another turns his eyes

Now, after Jesus arose, the Disciples saw Him, and He even ate with them. I believe that this was the physical body He had while here on earth. When He ascended back to the Father, I believe that He then took the Spiritual body that He had prior to coming here to die for us. Jesus even told Thomas to come and place his fingers in the nail prints in His hands, and to thrust his hand in His side, but Thomas said, "My Lord, and my God!!", so Thomas then truly knew it was Jesus. I do believe that Jesus is in heaven now with His Spiritual body He had before He came here to die.

Now, I think that this passage here will seal the deal, Bill:

1 Cor. 15:41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Phill. 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

So I do believe that when we rise at the coming of Jesus in the cloud, we shall be given a spiritual body, likened unto His most glorious body!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

You are here repeating an ancient heresy -- that Jesus was not fully human. This stems from the Greek metaphysical dualism where "spirit" was good and "flesh" evil (or not good). Jesus was not materially different from any other human, and had He stayed dead in the tomb, He would have rotted the same as any other human being.

In Jewish culture, the 3rd day after burial was the time when the spirit departed the body for good, as the body was, after that point, decomposed so much as to make it uninhabitable by the spirit. This teaching clearly plays into the resurrection narrative as well as the Lazarus narrative.

Christ's raised body -- along with every other "raised" body (that means we, who are believers) -- will be raised "spiritual" or "glorified" per the scriptures. But that does not mean that they were laid into the ground "spiritual" or "glorified." It is the work of God to re-birth the body into its final glorified state that is happening here, not some purely mechanistic formula that we might apply to Christ to make His resurrection palatable to those inclined to dis-believe.

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not mean to imply that the body of Jesus that was buried was anything unlike ours for I believe it was just like ours and would have rotted away in time and the only reason it did not was the amount of time it was dead. I believe Acts 13:34 says that pasted. And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, [now] no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

My point was that in his resurrected body it was a glorified spirit body (what ever body means) I also believe he is presently on the right hand of God the Father in the same body (Again what ever that means) as he appeared post resurrection on the earth. He has the glory he had before the incarnation yet as the last Adam, if that makes sense? He came as the first man Adam died was raised as the last Adam a quickening Spirit in whose image we shall be conformed.