1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Bible preference

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Duzt, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Duzt

Duzt New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still wondering whether or not I would buy a more convenient KJV Bible or keep my old one of the same version.

My reasons to keep the old one is due to the fact it was my first Bible I had personally, and its own sentimental value.

My reason to buy a new one is because I am quite vain about the little things. My old Bible had a tear from a failed attempt to paste thumb index on Leviticus. It left a bad tear after removing the index, which I repaired with a paper of same texture and color as that of its page.

I had been to all bookstores near my place and cannot make up my mind whether I would buy or keep my current, long time, somewhat torn Bible.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have both old & new Bibles. I've never thrown one out, although I've given a few away.

I have a Cambridge-Edition KJV, my fave copy of that version. However, I use mostly the NASV & NKJV.

By all means, hold onto your old bible even if you get a new one! The BEST Bible is the one you READ!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Nelson KJV Study Bible that I got in 1994. It's ragged, marked up, highlighted, and held together with duct tape! But, I've had many other Bibles, have gotten new Bibles for Christmas, birthdays, etc., and I still always go back to that old beat-up Bible. I'm so familiar with it (as in I can find things quickly) that it feels awkward using other Bibles. I currently have a NKJV, a HCSB, an NIV, an NASB, and probably some other translations (I'd have to go look at them all, I have about 10)., but I rarely use any of them. I say, keep the old Bible, but that's just me. May be a family thing, seems my mom, dad, aunts, uncles, etc. bought ONE Bible, and kept it their entire lives. You do what YOU want however, it's your decision.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the first leather bible that bought for myself, is a Ryrie Nas in Moroccan grade, have never seen a Ryrie in that grade before or since!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on!!!

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you already have the KJV and well familiar with the rhythm of the reading, then perhaps supplement it with an easy to read NASB.

However, a good place to try versions out is here.

It lists a number of versions so you can quickly scan the text render styles.

7. Duzt

Duzt New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for an update for you all, brethren, I bought in total 4 KJV Bibles as replacement:

#1) hardbound, thumb-indexed, non-gilded edge, and sponsored by United Bible Society (the first one I bought after 5 yrs since my first Bible). I removed the last pages that details about "Words That Have Changed Meaning"
    #2) The same Bible edition, similar from my first one that I replaced, but with flex cover and zipper, gilded edge, and with no thumb index (Used this to win souls from a last church event)
    #3) same as 1) but gilded edge and with flex cover, and have not removed the last pages of the same section
    #4) same as 2) but no zipper (the latest one I bought)

I am using the 4) for the sake of consistency with the previous Bible I used, and is what my church uses, too.

I kind of considered using the #3 simply because it's what I'm physically looking for from a Bible, but the errors I saw fro. here in spelling, letter cases and punctuations were setting me off, especially during a sermon I attended previously wherein some 2 verses shown by my pastor were different from the one I read on my Bible #3, albeit same context and message.