1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My Daughter is attending

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by crazycat, Aug 6, 2013.

1. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

There is nothing wrong with promoting modesty & godliness, however I've seen the issues with this brand of fundamentalism (& I consider myself a fundamentalist).

The focus is on external behaviors rather than a genuine change of the heart that then manifests life change. I remember a pastor's wife constantly deriding a girl (who wasn't rebellious or immodest) in our church & always told her she would do better to be like "Sue".... "Sue was a perfect IFB girl," she'd say.... "Look at her that's who you should strive to be like." All the time this pastor's wife, with no discernment, focused on only what she could & her perfect "Sue" that she exhorted other girls to be like had multiple sexual partners!! And the girl thought it was hysterical that church leadership could be that clueless!

That is the state of that brand of fundamentalism, & quite frankly, it disgusts me! It ruins people's lives because IT ISN'T ROOTED IN THE BIBLE!! They take more pride in their "standards" with no regard for the heart or actually PREACHING. Instead, what you get is shallow evangelism, quasi-preaching, & pastors who are cult leader/abusers! The words "depart from me I never knew you" will be heard by scores of its leaders as they try helplessly to throw up their "works"!

The Jack Hyles & Jack Schaaps of this world be [condemned]!!

#21 mjohnson7, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of your swearing and whether or not I support Hyles and Schaap, to be fair, the president of Fairhaven (Dr. Roger Voegtlin) is one who opposed Jack Hyles and stood up against him back in the day.