1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Croyant, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

If you would read Martin Luther and about Martin Luther, I don't believe you would maintain that.

Since you don't mind our "sidetracks", I will post more.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You ruled out a civil discussion in your post #74!

3. OldRegular

The above is laughable given the history of continued corruption of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by the leaders of the Church of Rome.

The bolded statements above demonstrate the Church of Rome's effort to convert the Holy Trinity the Holy Quartet. Are these revelations promulgated by the Church of Rome public or private revelations or simply made up by the popes and teaching magisterium. They certainly are not based on Scripture. Rather as shown they are clearly refuted buy Scripture!

****************************************************************************************************

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

In contravention of forum rules, you have put up a mostly libelous statement without attributing the source. I clicked on the link and got nothing but an anti-Catholic diatribe in PDF format from an anonymous source. The anonymous author did attribute some of the statements therein to Bishop Alphonse de Liguori, although the good Bishop has been quoted out of context, and even if he has not been, he does not speak for the Catholic Church.

So, rather than trying to rebut so much garbage, which would require many pages and a lot of time that I don't have, I will give you the truth about the perpetual virginity of Mary. This is material I wrote myself and have posted before.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Zenas quotes:
    This is RCC propaganda and is patently false. Let's consider it.
    What does the Bible say:
    Mat 1:24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
    Mat 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
    --But he did "know her," that is had relations with her. She did not remain a virgin
    There are other more explicit translations:
    (ISV) He did not have marital relations with her until she had given birth to a son; and he named him Jesus.

Furthermore:
    Mat 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
    Mat 13:56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
    --These are the half-brothers and sisters of Jesus. This is the family of Jesus, the other offspring of Mary.

Jud 1:1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:
    --Jude identifies himself as the brother of James.
    Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
    James is identified as the brother of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    --All of this evidence proves Zenas wrong.

The reason that Christ commended Mary to John was simply that James and Jude had not yet come to the Lord. The Bible indicates that they believed after the resurrection. John was known as "the beloved apostle." Jesus knew that John would take care of her. He had both the "love" or heart, and the means to take care of her. He was a true believer, and a spiritual brother has a much stronger bond than a brother through the flesh or blood.
    Our Lord also taught the same thing.
    All of Zenas's philosophy and rationalization of scripture is wrong.

6. OldRegular

Anonymous or not it is true!

You cannot rebut what I posted and that is the truth. You said the following in the post to which I responded, though I did not respond specifically to it.

You must admit that is patently false or else confess that the following is true:
    ************************************************************************************************

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

No, I don't have to do either one because the Bishop of Rome has not corrupted the gospel. In fact he has, for 2,000 years, "contended earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints." Can you say the same for your church?

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK, let's just look at one of your 'proofs' that Mary had children. 'And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son' In the Scriptures, the word 'until is used in different ways. Sometimes it is used to designate a fixed time, however it can also be used to designate indefinite time. Here is an example from Psalms 122:2: 'Our eyes are unto the Lord our God, UNTIL He have mercy on us' So, do you think we should turn our eyes away from the Lord after He is meciful? No! Our eyes are fixed on the Lord until He shows us his mercy and, after He is merciful to us, our eyes should be fixed on Him all the more.

Listen to what St. Jerome said: 'Thus the evangelist says that the Mother of God was not known by her husband until she gave birth, that we may be given to understand that still less did he know her afterwards.” (Adversus Helvid. v)

Now, are there other examples of this in scripture? Indeed there are:

2 Samuel 6:23: And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child until the day of her death. So, DHK, Do you believe she had children after she died?

1 Timothy 4:13: Until I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. DHK, should Timothy should stop teaching after Paul arrives?

1 Corinthians 15:25: For He must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. According to your thinking that means Jesus reign will end.

#88 Walter, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The gospel that the RCC states and practices is nowhere found in the Bible, not similar to the gospel as defined in the Bible, and is a message of works and not grace which Paul said is "accursed," and those who preach it is are "accursed."

According to the Catholic Church:
    Concerning the Gospel,
    http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-te...techism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm
    It doesn't even come close.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your argument doesn't make sense.
    How do they compare with the plain sense reading?

(ISV) He did not have marital relations with her until she had given birth to a son; and he named him Jesus.
    --How much clearer can it be? Does that have to be spelled out for you?

How about this one:
    (CEV) But they did not sleep together before her baby was born. Then Joseph named him Jesus.

(GW) He did not have marital relations with her before she gave birth to a son. Joseph named the child Jesus.

Clear enough?

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

DHK, I notice you did not address a single point that I made except for Matthew 1:25, and in that you had to look for an obscure paraphrase (that you have never used here before) which does not accurately translate this sentence. If it does, all the real translations got it wrong and I doubt that.

Tell me, where does the Bible say Mary had other children?

Tell me, where do any writers or commentators before about 1600 say Mary had any other children? Do you really think people like Luther and Calvin were ignorant bumpkins?

As for your speculation about why Jesus left his mother to the care of John, you really haven't thought it through. If you had, your would realize that you just stripped our Lord of all divine wisdom. The Son of God would know full well that six weeks hence James and Jude would be in the upper room with Mary and the disciples praying and awaiting the coming of the Holy Spirit. So their unbelief can't be the reason He gave His mother to John. Unless, that is, you have a low view of Jesus Christ.

Now let's take it from a worldly perspective. Let's assume Mary did have other children. After Jesus died, the eldest of those other children, probably James, would have simply taken charge of their mother. They were nonbelievers so they wouldn't have paid much attention to what their brother said. John, as an outsider, cousin maybe but no more, would have had no say in the matter.

No, DHK, I have not put forth anything untrue here. I have simply pointed out certain facts, most of them from scripture, that compel the conclusion that Mary remained a virgin all her life.

12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I will agree that the Catholic understanding of the gospel is not what your understanding is.
    But maybe what you have been led to believe all these years is wrong. Frankly, I would go with the church that actually wrote the New Testament, the OHCAC. They are in a better position to understand what they wrote and then taught to others than someone who came along 1500 years later.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

No, that's not clear at all. When you read the ISV, it supplies the past perfect tense, which makes it pretty clear that there were conjugal relations after the birth of Christ. However, I don't think that is in the original. If it were a lot of good Protestant leaning translations (KJV and NASB for example) would be using it.

As for the CEV and the GW, there is absolutely nothing conclusive there. For instance, consider this sentence. "I did not study a foreign language before going to college." It is clear that before college I did not study a foreign language. It is not clear at all that I took any foreign languages in college. It's not even absolutely clear that I ever went to college.

And with that, I am going to step aside for the time being. This is really fun but I am still a member of the working class and must attend business.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

All the translations had it right. Your comprehension of them is wrong. In my last post I posted a couple of others to support the ISV

(GW) He did not have marital relations with her before she gave birth to a son. Joseph named the child Jesus.
    (CEV) But they did not sleep together before her baby was born. Then Joseph named him Jesus.
    --This is not a case of "Zenas alone is right and everyone else is wrong."
    All the translations point to what these three translations are saying, not to what you are trying to twist them to say.
    I did: Mat.13:55,56, etc. It is a matter of belief or unbelief. Your choice.
    I don't have Luther's commentaries. Calvin didn't rule it out.

On Gal.19:
    Galatians 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
    Calvin, in identifying who James is, says this:
    He may hold to another opinion as to James is, but he doesn't rule out that James is the son of Mary. (Calvin's commentary on Galatians)
    That is a terrible accusation for you to make. The biblical record is correct. Jesus did leave the care of Mary to John. This is indisputable.
    Have no idea what you are talking about. Six weeks is a long time. It takes three days for Jesus to die, be buried and rise again. Shortly after his resurrection his brothers trusted Him. They did so because of the resurrection. That is what convinced them.
    Would Jesus have entrusted Mary to Saul of Tarsus? to Ananias, the High Priest, to Caiaphas? Such were the brothers of Jesus--enemies of the cross of Christ--part and parcel of the crowd wanting to put him to death--they too jealous and envious of the works that He did. No, they could not be trusted. Haven't you read the scriptures?

Look at the story here:
    Joh 7:1 After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.
    Joh 7:3 His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.
    --These were his actual brothers, sons of Mary.

Joh 7:5 For neither did his brethren believe in him.
    Joh 7:6 Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.
    --They did not believe. Their time had already come. They associated themselves with the world, with those that were about to crucify Christ.

Joh 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
    --It was not yet time for Christ to die; their time to do evil was there.

Joh 7:10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.
    Joh 7:11 Then the Jews sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he?

Nothing you have said compels a belief in the virgin Mary; nothing.

15. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The truth bears repeating!

16. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The truth bears repeating

17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Biblicists said: '
    On one hand their DOCTRINE demands it is essential for remission of sins but on the other hand their PRACTICE has not historically agreed with their DOCTRINE and even now they only OFFER it but don't demand their PRACTICE matches their DOCTRINE! Is it, or is it not essential for remission of sins????????'

So, you are thinking that Christ Divinity can be divided? The entire substance of the body, blood, soul and divinity is present at Mass under both species - bread or wine. You cannot receive only the body or only the blood. It is not possible to receive only one. When you receive one, you receive the other.
    Even the Early Fathers accepted the reality of Christ TOTAL and Complete Presence being available in either and in BOTH Species.

One of the early Church practices which I witness each mass I attend, is still commemorated today in the "fracture" and this was to send a "consecrated host' to a neighboring Church each week as a sign of unity.

Many Martyrs were caught "smuggling "holy bread to the sick or family members. So right from the beginning this fact was understood.

BTW, it is not just Catholics that understand that full communion is made if a person prefers to receive only the host or the cup. Anglicans and Lutherans who also believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist also allow this option. I have witnessed it in both denominations. I visited a Missouri Lutheran Church recently and observed some people received only the host. The overheard the pastor say as he communed those who wished to receive from the chalice say: 'The True Blood of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ keep you unto everlasting life'.

#97 Walter, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  18. OldRegular

The so-called Bishop of Rome has actually destroyed the Gospel of Jesus Christ and substituted for it the false, and sometimes pagan, teaching of the himself and/or the teaching magisterium!

These people toss out Salvation by the Grace of God alone and substitute for it a religion of ritual, works, and fear based solely on the teaching of sinful men!

**********************************************************************************************

Here is one example of how the Bishop of Rome treated dissidents:

**********************************************************************************

And now we are horrified by the butchery of Radical Islam!

***************************************************************************************

19. OldRegular

More on the Mass from the Canons of Trent

From Chapter IX, SESSION THE TWENTY-SECOND,

ON THE SACRIFICE OF THE MASS.

CANON I.--If any one saith, that in the mass a true and proper sacriflce is not offered to God; or, that to be offered is nothing else but that Christ is given us to eat; let him be anathema.

CANON II.--If any one saith, that by those words, Do this for the commemoration of me (Luke xxii. 19), Christ did not institute the apostles priests; or, did not ordain that they, and other priests should offer His own body and blood; let him be anathema.

CANON III.--If any one saith, that the sacrifice of the mass is only a sacrifice of praise and of thanksgiving; or, that it is a [Page 159] bare commemoration of the sacrifice consummated on the cross, but not a propitiatory sacrifice; or, that it profits him only who receives; and that it ought not to be offered for the living and the dead for sins, pains, satisfactions, and other necessities; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.--If any one saith, that, by the sacrifice of the mass, a blasphemy is cast upon the most holy sacrifice of Christ consummated on the cross; or, that it is thereby derogated from; let him be anathema.

CANON V.--If any one saith, that it is an imposture to celebrate masses in honour of the saints, and for obtaining their intercession with God, as the Church intends; let him be anathema.

CANON VI.--If any one saith, that the canon of the mass contains errors, and is therefore to be abrogated; let him be anathema.

CANON VII.--If any one saith, that the ceremonies, vestments, and outward signs, which the Catholic Church makes use of in the celebration of masses, are incentives to impiety, rather than offices of piety; let him be anathema.

CANON VIII.--If any one saith, that masses, wherein the priest alone communicates sacramentally, are unlawful, and are, therefore, to be abrogated; let him be anathema.

CANON IX.--If any one saith, that the rite of the Roman Church, according to which a part of the canon and the words of consecration are pronounced in a low tone, is to be condemned; or, that the mass ought to be celebrated in the vulgar tongue only; or, that water ought not to be mixed with the wine that is to be offered in the chalice, for that it is contrary to the institution of Christ; let him be anathema.
    http://history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/ct22.html[/quote]

Notice what Canon II says:
    Sounds to me that if anyone says the Mass is an un-bloody sacrifice they are to be accursed!

**************************************************************************************************

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The bishop of rome is 2000 years old? That's older than Methuselah!