1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Vision of a Church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise Him, Praise Him, Praise Him,

There is only One worthy of praise, honor and glory. All of our righteousness is as filthy rags--without the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ. Consequently, His righteosness makes Him the only One worthy of praise. If we do anything "good", it is Jesus acting through us. We have no merit of ourselves and should not look for nor accept the praise of men.

A child of God is looking for the praise of God: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." Anything else is to glory in the flesh.

We do the servants of God a dis-service by praising them--also by calling them "Reverend". Do we stand "in awe" of men? There is only One who is to be "feared" the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, the I AM THAT I AM.

Signed: Please don't call me reverend.

Selah,

Bro. James

2. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lest we jump headlong into following a false prophet, we need to review the information found on the following website: purposedrivenlies.org.

Selah

Bro. James

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No worry about anyone calling you "Reverend", James. That's reserved for ordained ministers in Western society today.

And brother, to call someone like Dr. Warren a "false prophet" will only bring down yourself in the eyes of everyone . . including our Lord Who rebuked that evil spirit.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I went to www.purposedrivenlies.org and found it one of the most ridiculous and poorly done attacks I have ever seen. Condemning Warren by the works of Schuller and Wilkinson is amazing!

Would not recommend anyone wasting time at that site. There is enough poor about the PD programs that one need not invent attacks.

5. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peace,

Need more references? Check out these websites:

1. [email protected], see "Critical Issues Commentary, Issue 80.

2. christianunplugged.com, see: "The Gospel: A method or a Message?"; The Unplugged File Reports; and "The Red Flag Page".

Thought for the day: "A man convinced against his will is-- in the end-- unconvinced still." Anon.

Selah,

Bro. James

[ September 27, 2004, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Bro. James ]

6. HappyG

HappyG New Member

No Bro James...don't need any more references.

I will only say that you have your guns pointing in the wrong direction. You are throwing hand grenades at the wrong people. Rick Warren is not the enemy.

And if you think that he is, you are missing something along the way.

By the way, what is the website for your church?

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. You want to bash Rick, etc, please start your own thread. I'd like this one back on topic of how YOU envision the purpose/ministry of a church and how it would differ from:
    Worship - Love the Lord your God
    Ministry - Love your neighbor
    Evangelism - Preach the Gospel
    Fellowship - Baptizing into the local church
    Discipleship - Teaching them all things

Thanks.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only have one observation relevant to this thread.

In my experience, a church is best organized for ministry not administration.

For example: If some one sees a need and wants to meet it, do they need to go through commitees to get it done. Or with the some discussion with the Pastor and other interested (if any) parties, are they allowed to just get the job done.

Or if a committee doen't see a need, it isn't a need.

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me Sir, DR. Bob-- I am not the one who introduced the PDL bunny. Quote from your second post on this thread: "Rick Warren was on the Today Show this morning, as he is celebrating "x" million copies of Purpose Driven...

We chased that rabbit through the Pentagon and West Point, while some bemoaned the fact that Rick Warren was a millionaire and they were not. Then we continued to heap praises on Mr. Warren for his marketing prowess and humility.(This seems a bit oxymoronic--the terms(marketing prowess and humility) seem to contradict.)I am reminded of what Jesus said to the moneychangers in the Temple as He scattered their wares:" Ye make My Father's house a den of thieves."

I have one more observation to make for whatever it is worth to those who are still interested in critical thinking in a Berean way: I have examined the book in question. A question that kept coming up in my spirit was: "Where is the Blood?" I could never find it.

The crux of the Gospel: depraved man is saved only by the Grace of God through faith in the shed blood of Jesus The Christ; I found not this Gospel anywhere in this book. The salvation alluded to in this book depends on man to do something good from his depraved nature--a feat of which he is totally incapable. Only God can seek and find a lost sinner. A lost sinner cannot seek God. There is no meeting God half-way. That is the Gospel that the Apostle Paul preached; and he said any other is ANATHEMA.(Run that one through the analytical concordance.) The above book costs about $20.00, hardback; it has sold over 11 million copies. The book about Jesus Christ that God wrote--the Bible-- can be obtained--- free for the asking. Many more than 11M have been printed and distributed.

If you think there is any use to continue this under another subject, I will do so. I have this gut feeling that there are not many Berean Christians out there. I know they are not a majority--but they are usually not silent. I will preach The Word until they cut out my tongue and deny me the www, or the rapture.

Bereans--where are you?

Selah,
    Bro. James

[ September 27, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Bro. James ]

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go for it James. Please start a topic like "Is Purpose Driven of God?" or such. Then take a doctrine and we will examine it.

That will keep this thread free to just see how people react to the Great Commandment and Great Commission that are the basis of MY five-fold vision of a local church.

Thanks.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as a visiting Admin, Dr. Bob has my permission to police this thread. If he decides its going off topic, Dr. Bob may deal with the situation as he sees fit.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the courtesy, Squire. James has shown good character and judgment and already started a new thread - just what we desired - and it is getting attention.

13. rufus

rufus New Member

When Warren's Book Purpose Driven Church hit the market, I commented to somebody that I had been preaching those things for years.

14. superdave

superdave New Member

The Biblical truth behind those 5 focuses is really what a local church should be all about. If you evaluate your ministries on how they contribute to those areas, you can probably eliminate many of the ministries that are using time and resources, and failing to have any purpose toward either making and maturing disciples, or helping your members develop redemptive relationships.

As far as commitees go...its the same as meetings at work

"None of Us is as Dumb as all of us"