1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My voting habits have changed...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jack Matthews, Sep 8, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rationalization for your support of un-biblical principles is a neat trick if you can pull it off.

I already told you you don't have to keep explaining to me. I understand. I truly do. So why do you continue to do so? :confused:

But I am curious about one thing. Would you vote for an athiest?

That's a single issue.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a single-issue voter. I have a hard time voting for Republicans because they often talk the talk but fail to walk the walk on abortion. Plus, I think their pro-life ethic is by and large only one-dimensional--pro-life till he's out of the womb, then he's on his own!

But...

This doesn't mean I'm running to the Democratic party. I cannot support that party because they actively support abortion and other things I cannot support.

Therefore, there may be times when I do not vote for either candidate.

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The liberals are leading the nation downhill fast, austensibly under the auspicies of "George Bush is terrible" and are duped into this endeavor by evil forces that must see the U.S. crushed before they can effectively (in their minds) kill Israel. The Bible plainly points this out, but we Christians are also duped by the same forces and are laying down because of it. Just like we've layed down over the abortion issue and gay rights, and socialized everything.

4. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

If an atheist candidate supported the pro-life position, was against gay marriage, felt that religious freedom included the right to put monuments to the Ten Commandments in public buildings and fought for the rights of every American to practice whatever religion they chose without restriction, would you vote for them?

5. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

In case you haven't noticed recently, the liberals aren't leading this nation right now. The conservatives are. The fact that is is going downhill fast is due to their, not liberal, leadership.

The Bible plainly points out absolutely nothing of what you have said here. It's your opinion, and nothing more than that.

#45 Jack Matthews, Sep 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2006
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not knowingly vote for an athiest under any circumstance.

Would you?

7. Pete

Pete New Member

Bro. Curtis, I look at it the other way mate, voting for someone (or even having them as last preference) I know I'm going to strongly disagree with on just about every move they make would just make me a hypocrite, not having ever given them any support though I can call them what I like :smilewinkgrin:

Ten years ago (just looked it up on web, doesn't feel that long ago) a bloke by name of Albert Langer promoted the idea of "optional preferential voting". I'ld pretty much disagree with him on just about everything, but an optional preference vote was a great idea. However as is usually the case with great ideas the major parties killed it off, jailing him, then changing the law so a "Langer vote" wouldn't count. (Wish I would have found out they made "Langer votes" informal before I put a "1" next to candidate I wanted and a hundred and something "2"s next to candidates I didn't in that State election that year......)

So yeah my 2ยข worth is most of the politicians are evil and/or corrupt, and the ones that aren't are almost as bad anyway because they are taking part in that evilified/corrupted system. But as we say Down Under "She'll be right mate! No worries!!" :laugh:

Oh, and a pretty good "Good on ya" there, but you need to learn to run it together "Goodonya" ;)

8. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

It would probably depend a whole lot on who the other candidate, or candidates were. In politics, there are worse scenarios than voting for an atheist.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing...

for a Christian.

It is evident to me that you place your earthly citizenship ahead of your heavenly one.

I believe you need to work on your priorities.:praying:

10. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Perhaps I will, if you will work on your self-righteousness.:praying:

11. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Aw, c'mon Carpro, just strike him down with a lightning bolt, that'll take care of that little problem. Oh and I am sure Mr. Matthews apreciates those kind and nutty admonishings.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gladly.

But consider this when you consider voting for an athiest:

2 Samuel 23:3
    The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.

Proverbs 29:2
    When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

Psalm 125:3
    For the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon the lot of the righteous; lest the righteous put forth their hands unto iniquity.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never found anything very nutty about not advancing the cause of the Godless.

14. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

You weren't advancing the cause of nothing but your own self righteousness. Your actions bear a close resemblence to the SNL Church Lady. To judge a person over such a petty thing about the way the decide to vote or not to vote is not very Godly nor Christ like. Mr. Matthew struggles with same moral delima on voting that we all do that is why debating an issue can help refine a persons decision making but you chose to cast judgement on him instead of encouragement.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have changed the subject.

The subject is voting for athiests. I believe a Christian should not even consider voting for an athiest. That would be , in my opinion , advancing the cause of the Godless and voluntarily placing myself under their authority.

That I will not do.

I am appalled that any Christian would.

How about you? Would you knowingly vote for an athiest?

16. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I'm not aware of any atheists that have run for public office recently, at least, not in any elections in which I have voted. But you can be wicked without being an atheist.

Of course, none of these passages that you have quoted out of context have anything to do with electing your own leaders. They were admonitions to the rulers of Israel, who were not chosen by the people but by God.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True enough, but I believe the Biblical principle is clear.

18. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Hillclimber:

As a LIBERAL, I must call you on this one:
    Please point to anyone who is LIBERAL (or anyone for that matter) who claims that we "must see the U.S. crushed" or has offered that we must "kill Israel." Please show me ANYONE who has claimed what you allege, or even implied this.

After all, it was YOU who has claimed this. I eagerly await your reply.

BiR

19. Baptist in Richmond

Why, thank you very much for that. I trust that you and yours are being showered with God's Blessings.

I am not sure what you mean by this. When I was strongly Republican, I was not a liberal, and most of what I thought sounded very much like the opinions and viewpoints of my good friend fromtheright. Once I had my epiphany and changed my views, I found that many on the Republican side of the aisle were sounding more and more extreme, more so than I was prior to my change in perspective.

Remember that discussion where you could go to a web page and see where you were politically? I was shocked that on many issues I was in agreement with the Green Party (very shocked). Alas, I am not ready to join the Green Party though.... :laugh:

Well, I wouldn't say that it was "throwing it away," but you make a pretty good point. There is NO WAY that the Democrats will take Congress in the upcoming election. If anyone thinks that the GOP won't do anything and everything to win the election, that they won't do whatever it takes to keep their control, then that person does not truly understand the resolve of the GOP. As we all know, the Republican Party OWNS the self-described Religious Right, so they can use them to do whatever it takes to win. I think many in the Democratic Party are in for a rude awakening this November. Once we are past the election, it would not surprise me if we end up in Iran, or even Syria.

When I lived in Tennessee, I did not particularly like Al Gore. After the 2000 election, I began to develop a respect for him, though I did not necessarily agree with him on a great many issues.

Thanks for posting to me - I very much enjoy reading your posts and learning what you think on these issues.

Regards to you,
    BiR (actually in Richmond all week - not on a business trip)

20. Baptist in Richmond

Sounds to me like someone doesn't really understand the concept of liberty.....

By the way, I have asked you on a number of occasions about your signature line that accompanies every post you make. Though I have asked you on more than one occasion, you are avoiding the question. I ask you again:

You have that statement in quotes, yet it is not attributed to anyone. Are you claiming it as yours?

Undoubtedly, you will avoid answering that....

BiR