1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured N. T. Wright on women bishops

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by thomas15, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did make comments on the OP already. But the thread has quickly deteriorated.

2. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    then
    So your basic contention with Wright is that he is anti-dispensational??? Big deal. If you ask me, he is only bring to light what many others have been saying for a while. He just happens to be far more eloquent than many in the past. You should read his Surprised by Hope to find out a bit more what he means in that statement you quoted. "Eschatology" in the ears of dispies is rapture and tribulation. "Eschatology" with him and me started back w/ Jesus who established God's reign and has brought in the first fruits of new creation (the age of life; always unfortunately translated eternal life) w/ his resurrection. He does a good job dismantling the rapture interpretation of 1 thess 4-5. And he writes it in a very laymen level. We are the eschatological people of God.

And he has to keep defending his view on the 2nd coming b/c he is adamant when interpreting places like the "son of man coming on the clouds" as a reference to Jesus' vindication/ascension and NOT his return (especially since it is a quote from Dan. 7 which clearly says the son of man going to God not to earth). But people have their traditions even in interpretation and just reach to conclusions that he must not believe in a second coming.

And having 1 book in your hand does not grasp Wright's theological method at all. Get through even one of his books in the Origins series and I'll be impressed. That series is his mangum opus of scholarship. So when you speak of Wright with terms like "hype" then I am confident that you have not read much (I'll grant you may have read a tid bit). You could say that he has championed "the quest" being the evangelicals go to quester. But I never hear you guys commend him for that.

For me, he has made the Bible more cohesive and brought continuity to it better than any dispensational writer I've ever read, and I've read my share of 'em. I am reading Dempster's Dominion and Dynasty right now and it talks about viewing the text w/ a wide angle lense rather than the zoom lense. Wright is a master at explaining (especially w/ history) the over arching story of Scripture. He even does a good job of demonstrating how Paul's writings fit into that story (what he might call the Israel story).

As a side note and question, what all of Wright have you read??? If you are having trouble understanding his message, then it may help if we know what experience you have with the man and his writings.

#42 Greektim, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  3. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

This also goes to help what Wright meant in his quotes about the church getting a lot of stuff incorrect.

4. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bring to this forum a simple random sampling of his writings that show that contray to what you and others say (over and over again) that far from being a high level thinker and elegant writer, wright simply restates what you and others in the reformed camp want to hear. Couple that with the company he keeps and here you have it. Also, you comment, you respond, but not on what I have posted. You imply just read more of wright and like a Gin Martini, the taste will grow on you.

For the price of one of Wrights 200 page paperbacks, one could buy a 4 volume 1000+ page The Fundamentals in hard cover. This, written 100 years ago lays out the Biblical case for much of what Wright tries to deny to his fawning audiance. For example, the blessed hope and imminent return of our Lord. 100 years from now, will N.T. Wright be available in hard cover and more important, will anyone even care?

#44 thomas15, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And, if you order in the next 15 minutes, I will double the four volume book set. And, with each order, you get a free book that documents British royalty going to church. Act now and we will send you a picture of Mr. Wright kissing Prince Charles royal ring. Call 1-800-ANGLICAN now. Thats 1-800-ANGLICAN.

6. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    why is it so hard for people to answer what books of Wright they have read?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have not read a one. My reading is pretty much the Bible. I do read books explaining the differences in doctrine of the various denominations. The reason I would not bother to read his writings is their basic doctrine being so flawed, from infant baptism, to once being part of the Catholic Church, and still follow much of their lituregy. They believe in a hieracrcy, not a local autonomous church. They use creeds and the "Book of Common Prayer." Why are those needed if one has the Bible?

8. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I never said it was needed. I appreciate your answer and agree with a lot of it. I just find it frustrating that two people in this thread have been asked a rather simple question and they dodge it. It just seems like pretty simple logic in that if you want to really criticize someones writing and have strong opinions on them then you should actually read the works and not just gather information from secondary sources.

9. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you and others are saying is if one reads everything Wright has written you will come to appreciate his genius. I've read enough to know basically where he stands and I've quoted him and no one is actually dealing with those quotes. Others are saying that if not for wright, the Bible would make no sense. This is either very sad, an admission that all they read is wright or an admission that they haven't read anyone that takes wright on.

A better question to ask young Tad is why is it so hard for Baptist on the Baptist Board to respond to the information already posted? Why do those of the reformed camp use the typical fall back non-responses (typically calling into service the term fundamentalist as if that is a 4 letter word) to straightforward questions? Why do they throw their support to Anglican Bishops and scholars with liberal tendencies and ridicule those who take the Bible seriously?

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since your last post misrepresenting my position and post was completely deleted you should be careful not to continue this behavior.

11. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No that is not what I have said at all.

I, nor anyone else I have read here, have said this.

People have responded to you, they just have not given you the answers you seemingly want. Personally, I do not "support" Anglican Bishops. Once again, I will say that my opinion on this has been if you or anyone else is going to take such a hard stance against someone they should at least read their writings for themselves in order to understand it. And I for the life of me cannot understand why you guys will not just say "I have read _____" or "I have not read any of his works."

12. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have delt with that in this thread but you haven't kept up on your reading! Thomas15 never on this forum states an opinion on someones theology without having read and having at least a sample of that individuals work on his shelves. This feeling you might have thinking you have hit a nerve will come back to haunt you if as I suspect you get around to challenging dispensationalists, who, contrary to popular opinion, are not as unread as you might think.

13. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the warning old thomas.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

On that we agree. Even when we do not, I find you refreshingly completely clear and honest about your positions.

15. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen, I don't want to argue over the man or his theology any more. I like him, you don't. I know his views and his flaws. I don't think you know them as well as I do, but who cares. Let's move on to gospel issues rather than this peripheral one.

16. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you saturn. I must say you always give good thoughts around here and I always find myself either agreeing with you or forced to reconsider something. I appreciate that.

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Actually S/N I have a very good commentary on the Book of Reveletion by an Anglican named Philip Edgecumbe Hughes. Takes the Biblical amillennial position and reads much like a devotional. Also have his commentary on Hebrews but have used it very little, no longer teach! Following is a quote from his commentary on Revelation which endeared him to me. Actually here are two I used when teaching Revelation:

Philip Edgcumbe Hughes in his commentary on the Book of Revelation writes specifcally, though eloquently, of the apocalyptic language used in Revelation as follows [Introduction, page 7ff].

Hughes also writes [page 57] very eloquently and convincingly on the Security of the Believer, as follows:

18. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Anglican Philip Edgecumbe Hughes ("....a serious, devout, and pious Anglican Prayer Book man" (1)) did hob-knob with the Presbyterians at Westminster Theological Seminary so in the mind of a least some on the BB this not only makes him a great person to get answers to one's theology questions but it also adds creditability to N.T. Wright.

(1) http://reformationanglicanism.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/wikipedia-rev-dr-philip-edcumbe-hughes.html

19. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    A rare moment in history when thomas15 is at a loss for words.

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is one of the reasons I gave up on this thread. I think there is a lack of honesty here. It is not that anyone is lying, but plenty are passing judgment on a man's writings but won't admit to the extent of what they have read (lack of honesty). Even worse, I've heard the "Well I read his book, *&^^%$$, and that was enough." Some of my favorite discussions have been w/ people who have given Wright a fair treatment and decent reading and disagreed. There is a genuine discussion of the issues b/c the issues are known and known to be known. That is not the case here. I feel like you don't know much of his view (but I'm willing to admit I'm wrong here if you'd prove it) and I certainly don't know that you know Wright (b/c you won't tell us what you've read of him).

But I'm not going to beat this horse any more. It is closer to politics to force the issue. Carry on brethren. :)