1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Name of Laura Ingalls Wilder Scrubbed From Award for Children's Literature

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Jerome, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Progressive librarian-censors all worked up, announce they're pulling Little House author's name from award:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-removed-prestigious-award-over-dated-n886491

"The author of the 'Little House on the Prairie' series, Laura Ingalls Wilder, had her name removed from a prestigious children's book award because of 'dated cultural attitudes' contained in her books, the association that issues the award said Monday."

"In a joint statement, the American Library Association and the Association for Library Service to Children said the name of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award was changed to the Children's Literature Legacy Award during a weekend conference in New Orleans."

"'Her works reflect dated cultural attitudes toward Indigenous people and people of color that contradict modern acceptance, celebration, and understanding of diverse communities,' the statement said."

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It odd how the charge against the author has changed.
    I read this article last month and the line that presented a problems was something like, "There were no people there, only Indians".

I read each one of her books to my three girls as they were growing up and still have them in my collection... my oldest granddaughter thinks they are boring :Cautious.

I can't say I've ever heard of the "American Library Association" and the "Association for Library Service to Children" but I guess they've got their moment in the spotlight.

Now we can let them return to obscurity.

Rob