1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Name that Honorary Doctor!

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Paul33, May 25, 2005.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This discussion is starting to sound like that old 'Three Stooges' routine where the Stooges pose as doctors and when they meet the real doctors they go around the circle head bobbing, shaking hands and saying 'Doctor', 'Doctor', 'Doctor'....

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EVERY University gives out honorary doctorates.

Not just Baptists....

I can remember when I attended Univ of Arizona - Barry Goldwater got an honorary doctorate there.

And why does a school get better when it is "accredited" ? And accreditation means nothing
    in the broad scheme of things.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true, very true. [​IMG]

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

But when Barry Goldwater gets quoted in the SOTL, if that were to happen, the editors would conveniently forget to put Dr. in front of his name. Just like they forgot with Keller, Franklin, and Bryan.

Why is that?

7. Hal Parker

Hal Parker New Member

True. Every University gives out honorary doctorates. But, how many REAL doctorates do those universities give out. The University where I teach at now, gives out an honorary doctorate every now and then. The IFB Bible college I taught at gave out two Fake (Honorary) doctorates each year. The same IFB Bible college gives out NO REAL doctorates. The IFB Bible college I taught at has given out more Fake (Honorary) doctorates since 1970 than my university has given out since the 1920's!

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Now really! I do not disagree that abuse and overuse of the honorary doctorate exists but you can go too far in denouncing the practice. It has its proper place. Read my posts and you will find that I have criticized the same without throwing out the baby with the dirty bath water.

In the above case, I see no sinister motivation that can be rationally ascribed to this instance. I seriously doubt if it was deliberate or intentional. It is an assumption you have made while riding your hobbyhorse. There are a number of reasonable alternatives. For the aforementioned persons, name recognition alone is enough. IMHO, it is superfluous to refer to Albert Einstein as Dr. Einstein although he had an earned doctorate from the University of Zurich. The name Einstein is synonymous with brilliance, intellect, and genius. A doctorate adds nothing to it. So, why bother? Do you refer to Bill Clinton as Dr. Bill Clinton?

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For the record, that was Major General Dr. Barry Goldwater., Retd. USAF. ;) [​IMG] The late Senator remained in the Air Force Reserve, after his active duty, and had achieved the rank of two-star Major General by the time he ran for President in 1964, including being flight qualified to fly some of the fighter jets, then in service, and did, in fact, fly them. He, not President Eisenhower, is the last General to receive his party's nomination for President of the US. He retired in 1967, from the military.
    Ed [​IMG]

[ February 10, 2006, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: EdSutton ]

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Paul 33, and others-
    FTR, Dr. Tom Malone has both a Th.D. and a Ph.D. (plus two, and perhaps three other earned degrees); Dr. Joyce Parker has five earned degrees including the D.S.M.; and Dr. Monroe Parker had a Ph.D. These, at least the last time I checked, were not given as Honorary degrees. Nor do I find any record that the late G. Campbell Morgan was ever awarded one. No matter how much the SOTL, or any other paper, might like to award any of these Doctorates, I don't think that can be done. If you wish to excoriate someone who self-awards one, absent Academics, feel free to do so. But let's not paint with so broad a brush that any and all doctorates are suspect, absence evidence.
    Ed

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Ed, I made no attempt to find out if doctorates were earned or honorary. But in reading the SOTL it is clear that God is honored by how diligent these men and women have become in acquiring their degrees. God is fortunate to have such a highly educated work force in the IBF movement. By contrast, the EFCA ministers ought to be ashamed of themselves. Hardly a doctor among them.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It concerns me that a mentality exists that an honorary doctorate is not valid, fake, etc, if it's not course-study earned. I fear that such an assumtion speaks more to our covetousness than it does our objectivity.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Now really! I do not disagree that abuse and overuse of the honorary doctorate exists but you can go too far in denouncing the practice. It has its proper place. Read my posts and you will find that I have criticized the same without throwing out the baby with the dirty bath water.

In the above case, I see no sinister motivation that can be rationally ascribed to this instance. I seriously doubt if it was deliberate or intentional. It is an assumption you have made while riding your hobbyhorse. There are a number of reasonable alternatives. For the aforementioned persons, name recognition alone is enough. IMHO, it is superfluous to refer to Albert Einstein as Dr. Einstein although he had an earned doctorate from the University of Zurich. The name Einstein is synonymous with brilliance, intellect, and genius. A doctorate adds nothing to it. So, why bother? Do you refer to Bill Clinton as Dr. Bill Clinton?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes Paid, why bother.

Men like Clinton and Einstein are known for greatness.

But the men and women in the SOTL are virtual unknowns. Oh, now I get it. Add "Dr." in front of their names and they become important.

Got it. Paid. Why bother? If your already important you don't need the Dr. in front of your name. But if you are a nobody, then by all means, award the doctorate and make sure to use it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

O please everybody. An honorary doctorate would mean something if it were awarded sparingly. But hand them out like ribbons to every contestant in the competition and they become virtually worthless. Even my children know that.

Honorary doctorates from independent Baptist schools are a joke for that reason alone. People who have accomplished nothing receive them. That's the problem with the practice. I think Hal Parker already pointed that out.

Think a little.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Granted, Paul33, there are some schools that do this, and that needs to be dealt with. But that fact does not mean that every honorary doctorate is invalid, nor does it mean that every school that hands them out is as you describe. Hopefully, your kids know that as well.

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Right.

Now John, do you honestly believe that the representation in the SOTL is valid and honoring to Christ?

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Come to think of it, I'm surprised NBBC or other independent Baptist colleges haven't awarded one to Jesus Christ yet.

Certainly Jesus Christ is more qualified to receive one than the many unknowns who have.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread is on its fourteenth page and going in circles, I am closing it.