1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Name that Honorary Doctor!

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Paul33, May 25, 2005.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

So when you are sick do you make an appointment with MR. Smith or DR. Smith? </font>[/QUOTE]In England, it may be Mr. Smith.

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Paul, I have just mailed a letter to Dr. Bob, III asking him to intercede with Dr. Stephen Jones on your behalf. I requested that BJU award you an honorary doctorate (D.D. = daring debater). Of course, it will be next May before it can be awarded. Hope you don't mind waiting that long and I do trust that you will accept. ;)

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

But I live in the U.S.A. ;)

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Jack is Jack. However, no fundie would claim him today. His wife's family, however, has deep roots in Fundamentalism. Rexella Van Impe is Evangelist Bob Shelton's sister.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I'm posting and I ain't boasting. I consider myself a Fundamentalist. Do you think I'm a phony?

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I repeat, I am an IFB and I have posted several times on this thread.

I do not esteem phony professors NOR do I hope to become one.

I do not consider myself proud OR arrogant.

How about stopping with the stereotyping? :rolleyes:

7. shannonL

shannonL New Member

You can always spot people who have just come into money or made it rich quick. They throw their money around. They buy silly things. They don't know how to handle it.
    I've met guys who have Dr. before their name who are alot like that. They usually have it posted on the door to their office or have it on a name plate on their desk. They also get offended if you don't notice the fact that they are a Dr.

There are people who have "old money" they're used to having it. Comfortable with it . Don't flaunt their money everywhere. They don't live lavishly but comfortably. They earned their money over time it might have cost some of them alot of blood sweat and tears.
    I know guys who have PH.ds who are like that.

8. OCC

OCC Guest

Dr. Who?

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Shannon,

Correct.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Paul,

Methinks your paintbrush is far too broad. I have been an IFB since I was saved in 1974. I am opposed to the entire honorary doctarate scheme. Your shotgun attack on fundementalists is uncalled for.

Many men in the IFB movement feel the same way I do.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hey guys, lighten up! This quote of mine was from weeks ago, May 29 to be exact, when no one seemed willing to respond to the thread.

Since then, we have had a moderate amount of response.

C4K, since you feel the way you do, and many others in the IFB apparently do to, why does the practice continue?

My experience is with NBBC and BJU, and I for one am sickened by the hypocrisy and apparent need to be like the world in this regard.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I simply don't know why it carries on. I will not claim that the IFB movement is perfect. It's diversity means that one can be an IFB and not agree with all the practices of every segment of it.

I think (hope?) that as we mature we will lay aside some of these practices that can indeed be embarrasing.

I do not think it is hypocrisy or an attempt to be like the world. It is simply a practice which has gotten out of hand.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Maybe so.

But why do they then walk around calling themselves Dr. so and so?

It doesn't seem humble and it appears to play to their vanity/insecurity?

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You are probably correct, that does happen. But to say that fundementalists are proud and arrogant because of whst some men do is too broad a swath to cut.

I know many men who have refused honorary doctorates or refuse to use the title.

15. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul: "I for one am sickened by the hypocrisy and apparent need to be like the world in this regard."

"It doesn't seem humble and it appears to play to their vanity/insecurity?"

I reread the entire thread last night and picked out a long list of quotes like this and noticed that most of them were from you Paul.

If this bugs you so much start contacting the people you are bothered by and stop tongue lashing them in public. Go to a brother is the course of action, not go to the public.

You recently said: "Hey guys, lighten up! This quote of mine was from weeks ago, May 29 to be exact, when no one seemed willing to respond to the thread."

Because it was awhile back does not change the verbage that you used.

I'd guess many agree with you but aren't posting because of the tone of the tread. Action would be much better than retoric. In my humble opinion of course. :rolleyes:

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

You are right Ex.

Have you ever tried to contact them or discuss concerns wtih them?

I have. Guess what, they throw you out of their little movement!

OK, I think I've made my point that these are insecure little guys who present themselves as "doctor" to boost their authority and self-image.

I'll let it go, EX!

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Oh, Paul! You gotta keep a sense of humor about the whole thing. I love to toy with the degree mill guys and conceited honoraries. It’s great fun and hilarity.

For example, I keep calling them “Dr. ______” at every conceivable opportunity. I say, “Oh, Dr. this” and “Dr. that.” I do it with awe filled reverence and such sincerity in my voice. After a while, they are looking at me out of the corners of their eyes trying to decide if I am for real. Each time they see an affable, foolish grin on my face confirming that I am smitten by their status. Eventually, other folks began getting onto the game and play along. The fake Dr. is the last to know.

Many times I guide the conversation into some little known esoteric knowledge. Feigning ignorance, I ask their opinion saying, “Of course, Dr. __________, I’m sure that you know more about this than I do.” Meanwhile, I lead the unsuspecting wader into deeper and deeper wade. Then, I give a big push and say, “Swim!” They can’t, of course, since they are over their head and weighed down by ignorance. (ROFL) It’s huge fun watching Dr. ______ floundering, sputtering and flailing about.

Sometimes, another tact is indicated. For example, I know an ego with an earned doctorate who immensely enjoys introducing himself as Dr. _______. He has a very common sounding name—let’s call him Buster. When we’re rubbing elbows with dignitaries, he introduces himself: “Hallo, I am Dr. ______.” I thrust my face forward and stick out my hand saying, “Yeah man, I’m old Buster’s friend. Me and Buster are great pals.” Honestly, I think he avoids me when we are in polite company.

I remember a story told by Ron Godwin. Dr. Godwin (Ph.D. in higher education design from Florida State—1st Dean @ PCC) and Dr. Arlin Horton (President of PCC—honorary from BJU, I think) were riding together in a little Ford Maverick owned by the school. When they came to a traffic light with a long line of backed up traffic, Dr. Godwin, who was driving, took a shortcut across a vacant lot and avoided the light. As they bounced over the ruts and bumps, Dr. Horton looked at Dr. Godwin and said, “Ron, do you think this is an appropriate thing for the college President and Dean to be doing?” Some people set great store by pomp and circumstance, I suppose.

The point is that I don’t begrudge anyone using their well-deserved title if they do it tastefully and without pride. BTW, I do think Arlin Horton to be deserving of an honorary doctorate. He wears it with honor and distinction, although a little stuffily.

18. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You are right Ex."

Nope, checked with the wife and she said I can't be right - in fact she is out to get you for giving me false hope!

"Have you ever tried to contact them or discuss concerns wtih them? I have. Guess what, they throw you out of their little movement!"

Sorry, didn't know you were that close to the issue, yep been had by some dictatorial dudes myself and you are right on - they aren't nice and on top of that they seldom listen.

One creamed five of us in the same church over about three years, then the movement he was in made him a district man. There is another thread.

Always love it that God keeps the accounts and I don't have too, I'd be way too busy if I did.

19. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Ex,

You did give me a helpful reminder to let it go.

Paid, as always, is entertaining!

So I will laugh and point out foibles, but ultimately it has to be in fun or it will just hurt me!

I guarantee it, they aren't reading my comments and they wouldn't care if they did.

20. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

That's it I've seen so many doctors on here I wanna be one too. I just saw an add on th Baptist board so I guess it's legitimate. No classes,no dissertations, just articles or books and yo uget a PhD.So I will be a ddddrrrrrr and have a piled hire and deeper. Just call me doc, oops that's what we called our medics when I was in the army.