1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Naming names

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Internet Theologian, Feb 29, 2016.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good point. No leaders have been "called out" on the Baptist Board simply because they are not on the Baptist Board.

If someone wants to "call out" a religious (I hesitate to say "Christian") leader they will have to write to that leader, not a post on the Baptist Board.

And there is a biblical system for doing so.

1. To to him alone.

2. Go with 2 or 3 others.

3. Tell it to the church.

Before I would read the rants posted on the Baptist Board relating to #3 I would want to see the evidence (copies of letters or video or audio recordings of face to face or telephonic meetings) that #1 and #2 have been complied with first.

But then, I always have been a stickler for that sort of thing. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure I understand this part of your post. Could you explain?

I agree with the rest of the post, though, just to mention.

God bless.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has Joel Osteen posted on the Baptist Board? Benny Hinn? Zane Hodges? Charles Finney? Rob Bell? Brian McClaren? Herbert Armstrong? Kenneth Copeland? Lewis Sperry Chafer? Joseph Prince?

If so could you point me to their posts? :)

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can’t “call out” someone who is not here to call out. All you can do here is talk (gossip) about them. I believe that their doctrines are up for debate, but they are not here to defend themselves (or to repent if convicted of error). Since the BB isn't under anyone's authority insofar as discipleship or church discipline, we cannot say that "naming names" on the BB is biblical (it is, in fact, unbiblical .... perhaps depending on the context).

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

I'm not one to believe that because a person is not there when being 'called out' that it is 'gossip'. Gossip is so overused and accusatory. It's also being misused here in this thread.

Hymenaeus, was not there when called out. Nor Philetus; 1 Timothy 1:20, 2 Timothy 2:17. Nor Alexander the coppersmith, 2 Timothy 4:14. Nor the list mentioned in 2 Timothy 4 of those who deserted Paul. Certainly Paul wasn't gossiping, and of a certainty none he mentioned were there to defend themselves. Let's be 2 Timothy 2:15 people and lose the common presuppositional erroneous views held by many.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You brethren promise not to beat me up to bad here but I have a question... What is the difference between Apostacy, Heresy and Unsound Doctrine?... Brother Glen

7. Internet Theologian

That's too deep for me brother! The Wizard will know! :)

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, now I get it. lol

Thanks.

Not sure I would agree with seeing naming the names of those whose doctrine is heresy as being unbiblical, Paul on at least a few occasions named names when they weren't present.

But, I will reiterate that I think that if we are going to "name names," we should back that up so that at least someone who might think we ourselves are in error have the chance to defend them or their doctrine.

So I will inquire before I start a thread which I think is a great debate: Lordship Salvation. Either of you see a problem in discussing this debate? Names are named, primarily John MacArthur, as well as a number of historical men well known, and some well loved.

I was surprised when Jerome posted an article about a guy that knew Ryrie, who actually sided with MacArthur on the issue.

God bless.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You misunderstood, brother. Certainly we warn those under our charge (which is our responsibility and something for which we will be held accountable). We expelled the false teacher from our assemblily.

I'm sure we agree there, just as confidently I am that we both recognize we are not called to judge the world. But if this isn't a misunderstanding and you are suggesting that we "name names" outside of this biblical mandate then I suggest perhaps a few passages may be of interest 1 Cor 5:13; Rom. 14:4; Phil. 1:18. When we expel false teachers it is from the assembly, expelled to the outside (the world). I hope this helps clarify.

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apostasy is basically a "stepping away from," which in a Biblical context (particularly a New Testament context) gives a picture of a stepping away from Christ. We see this in 2 Thessalonians 2, which I think gives not only the clearest and easiest illustration, but makes it clear who it is that becomes apostate.

Heresy would be generally described as false doctrine, though I would say, and this is just an opinion, mind you, that in view is a "choosing" which I think we can, if we pay attention, see in the approach of Bible Students more often than not. In other words, I view heresy as describing something that has been chosen, rather than received. All knowledge of God which is valid is provided to men by God, and the understanding as well. Heresy, on the other hand, carries a connotation which could be defined as self indoctrinated knowledge. Perhaps it is easiest just to define it as false doctrine, lol.

We could look to what Paul states in relation to the "heretick:"

Titus 3:9-10

King James Version (KJV)

9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

This would, I think broaden our definition.

And unsound doctrine?

That's an interesting point.

This is just my own opinion, but I might argue a difference between heresy and unsound doctrine. For example, the popular view that Sunday is the "Christian Sabbath" could be argued as unsound doctrine, because we do not have Scripture that commands this as we do in regards to the Sabbath/s of the Law. Could we then say, "That is a false doctrine or practice," personally, I don't think so, because we do see disciples meeting on the first day of the Week, so there is nothing sinful in it. But when it's taught as a command for Christians, then I take issue with it.

God bless.

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or is there no difference and they are all three the same?... Brother Glen

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wanted to clarify my confusion, because my point was in regards to a denial of being related to the forum itself.

I thought you might be speaking about the "leaders" (staff) and saying "We aren't leaders."

All is clear now, that is, since we understand you don't consider yourselves to be leaders, but wizards...

;)

God bless.

#72 Darrell C, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Internet Theologian

No, sorry. I didn't misunderstand a thing when you attempted to define gossip. It isn't gossip, as you suggested, when calling out a person not there to defend himself. Show me where in the Scriptures I provided that you remain correct that it is in fact gossip to do so. You cannot without calling Paul a gossip himself.

You've not used one Scripture, instead you've gone ad lib. Show where I was errant in using Scripture to prove, against your view, that calling out others not present is not gossip as you contend.

I understood clearly what you stated. You've misspoken and are set to prove you are still correct in your view in spite of the Biblical evidence that shows otherwise. I've given ample biblical evidence for this.

#73 Internet Theologian, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that you mention the Sabbath... Have a friend of mine SDA who will only worship on Saturday as I have always worshipped on Sunday. Doesn't matter to me if he choses to worship on Saturday but to say there is certain day to worship the Lord are the scriptures implicit on that?... Since the Lords day is everyday the mandate is to worship God not chose or set a side a particular day to worship... Not to single out SDA's also heard there are SDB's... Brother Glen

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, this post indicates a severe misunderstanding of what I am stating. If this is due to a lack of clarity on my part, then you have my apologies as I sincerely thought I was direct and clear. Perhaps I can clear things up a bit.

We are to warn those under our authority of false teachers and false doctrines. I agree with you here. This is what Paul was doing. If you will read the Scripture that you have posted, you will find that Hymenaeus and Alexander had failed to hold the faith and had slipped into error (Paul says that they have made a shipwreck of their faith). Paul handed them over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.

My suggestion is that we follow Paul’s command. It is not gossip to warn your congregation or those under your charge of false teachings or false teachers. This is not what I am saying is gossip. I am really not sure how else to say it, brother. If you misunderstand that, then we’ll simply “agree to disagree”.

You complain that I do not offer one Scripture when in fact that is exactly what I offer - there is but one Scripture and I have offered you three passages of that Scripture. I apologize, however, if my abbreviations confused the situation (I mean Cor. to mean "Corinthians"; Rom. to mean "Romans"; and Phil. to mean "Philippians").

The reason that "naming names" outside of the biblical context of church disipline or discipleship is that it serves no godly purpose. You are not guarding the faith of those under your charge, or your church, and you are not disciplining or expelling those false teachers. You are just talking about them.

Looking at the passages you have provided, they all deal with discipleship and discipline within the scope of one's charge. Do you have any passages of Scripture to support a position that we are to go out into the world and condemn false teachers, naming them by name?

16. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it not clear that the OP agenda is to lump those contemporary folks who are of the charismatic - name it claim it, faith healing, healthy-wealthy, extra Biblical inspired word from God for others, - with one who was a prolific writer, scholar, theologian, well respected by theological peers of his day, and now long dead?

If that isn't obvious to those of the BB, then it should have been. That the moderators and administrators would rather discuss other issues rather than seeing the OP for what it is, and "calling out" the author, is puzzling.

Sure, now I will be called as defender of Lewis Sperry Chafer, but frankly I don't need to defend him.

I did not defend Darby, but ask for those who had documentations that he was a heretic or spent time teaching heresy to help me find such statements. I did so because I had not read from his work(s) and wanted documentation to show clearly and plainly to others. Not a single person on the BB made any public or private communication presenting such documentation. I didn't finish reading, and frankly have given up reading from Darby, merely because I am too old and he is not an easy read. And, I have found others have already done the work and found nothing chargeable.

I do not now defend Louis Sperry Chaffer, but again ask for those who have documents that he was in any manner associated with those in which the OP listed with him, to please share such documentation. Not that YOU disagree with what he said, but that he was a charismatic and could well associate with that group listed in the OP, and that what he taught was not Scriptural. That the Scriptures be found to true and every man a liar.

Frankly, it is beyond me why some of the BB think that they can "call out" someone when they have shown absolutely no Biblical proof of error that the person was not Scriptural. The only proof is what the writer of the OP would deem as error because it doesn't conform to the view of prophecy or that grace is not free but must in some manner be earned (if it isn't one, it must be the other). Or, perhaps, there is some yet undisclosed information that the writer of the OP will share. But it should have been done at the opening remarks.

PROOF of apostasy and other error must accompany calling one out with the actual Scriptures violated. It is called documentation.

All the others on the list are well known as abiding in or have exhibited erroneous teaching. Not a single one on that list is a triple doctorate scholar, prolific writer, author of systematic theological studies, and highly regarded commonly among biblical scholars of many different backgrounds both in his day and continues to be a resource.

So, what is the agenda, IT?

You don't like "free grace" teaching, yet you would claim that grace is without merit and therefore free. Is that the error you want to attack?

You don't like dispensation teaching, yet it can be said that your own scheme is actually no better, just different. One is not lesser or more noble. There is Scriptures available to align with the noted schemes: Pre-wrath, Dispensation, Pre-Mil, Post-Mil, A-mil. Is there some error you wish to attack?

So, IT, YOU are "called out."

Did you not place within the OP an agenda of miss-characterization and misrepresentation by listing a group of well - known still living charismatics and insert one long dead that would be absolutely repulsed by such an association?

In doing so, are you not bringing disrepute to one that does not deserve that association?

Is that not deceitful, and playing the part of one who gossips?

Besides, IT, didn't you know that "name calling" is not an admired trait of the BB rules?

All I am asking for is the documentation to go along with the association, or if not the association, at least the documentation of error taken from first hand evidence.

#76 agedman, Mar 3, 2016
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it was a good topic, but maybe you are right that this has been put forward with an agenda. In the end the decision is not ours to make. We have been told to judge doctrine and to expel the wicked from the assembly. But to remove this from context by applying to the practice of publically (by publically, I mean outside of the assembly....judging those outside) calling out false teachers is a false teaching in itself. We do not judge those outside, but those inside.

If those people mentioned are indeed false teachers then it is up to their churches to exercise discipline. We do not judge the servants of Another but can rejoice that people have been reached (sometimes it is astounding how they have been reached) with the gospel message.

If they are false teachers and belong to false churches then they are outside the faith. They are the world.

If we talk about such leaders, apart from warning those to for whom we are accountable, and apart from exercising church discipline in hopes of bringing them to repentance and removing that sin from our assemblies, then we have exceeded all biblical mandate. Not only that, but we are in violation of biblical teaching.

(Some verses to consider: 1 Corinthians 5:12-13; Romans 14:4; Philippians 1:18; 1 Thessalonians 5:21; 1 John 4:1; John 3:18; Proverbs 20:19; Psalm 34:13; Proverbs 11:13; Psalm 141:3; Titus 3:2; James 1:26; 1 Timothy 5:13; Leviticus 19:16; Romans 1:19-30; Philippians 4:8; 1 John 4:1; 1 Peter 5:8; 1 Timothy 1:20; 2 Timothy 2:16-17 and Romans 16:17).

18. Internet Theologian

I won't respond to the clearly ad hominem responses accusing of an agenda, nor to those who also render agreement to such a possibility other than what I offer herein; It's unchristian behavior to merely slander a person with an assumed 'agenda' as if that in and of itself is evil and wicked and always negative. This is only meant to smear a persons character based on a 'hunch'. False teachings are being attacked, and the proponents thereof. It's biblical to do so. I will gladly then accept being accused of an agenda because the stance is biblical, and I stand with the likes of Paul, Jude, Peter, Christ and all other men of God in the Scriptures.

I will make all attempts to not practice this merely negative accusation of having an 'agenda' (accepting in cases where the doing so is not biblical) and be very careful from hereon not to do so myself.

Apparently at least one other is attempting to give this some traction though.

The OP is about if it is biblical to name names. No need to attack me, ridicule, accuse. The thread was going along well until this drama came up from at least 2 individuals.

As far as FGT and what it teaches, make another thread to address it specifically. The willful pretense of ignorance that no proof of their false teachings have ever been offered is bogus and frankly untrue. In the past the official stance was offered from GES via video with the official beliefs. If you want to attack me personally, accuse, all of that, send me a conversation in private where you can slander, show disdain and accuse behind the scenes.

#78 Internet Theologian, Mar 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that we can’t simply assume intent to another’s comments (and appreciate that you haven’t with mine as well). That is why I have affirmed that this was/is a good topic (I believe my interaction with the OP bears this out). At the same time, not knowing the intent of the OP but assuming it to be a genuine interest, there is always the possibility that it is about those of whom agedman speaks (I don’t know if there was a history there, but for my part I didn't see this as the topic of the thread).

I took (and take) the topic of this thread to be “naming names,” that is pointing out false teachers as being such, and what would constitute a biblical context for such action (that is why I offered to agedman passages dealing with this topic). If that is not the topic, then perhaps it should be restated for clarity.

On another thread I was falsely accused of pushing an agenda (by you, in fact). So I appreciate that sometimes our words are misunderstood as people infer what was not implied. It is entirely possible that agedman inferred that you were "calling out" those persons as "false teachers" in error. Personally, I didn't see that as the intent of the OP either. As agedman has asked, at the end of his post, for clarification and has clearly opened the door for rebuttal, I don't know that his comments should be considered a personal attack.

20. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like where you went, but! Those darn, monster size, three and two letter words.

In my heart I do not believe you meant to elevate Paul, in any manor, to the level of out Giod, but with him being saidf toi be infallible, there he is.

This is niot for you, youy know it but for the Seeker that might read and the Spiritually Young. The Father in Heaven, Jesus the Son of God and the Holy spirit of God are infallible and there are none, absolutely none, like our Triune God.

In 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 we find; To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.—NIV

Except for the truth found in Gal. 1:11-12, Paul, lije every oine of the rest of us is a sinner saved through and by the limitless grace of our God.

May God bless the reading and the teaching of His Word.