1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NASA found E.T.!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by webdog, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_M10-167_Astrobiology.html

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Weird Science says that UFO's are demonic manifestations and that the Antichrist will be delivered by a UFO...

So, it would make sense for NASA to *think* they've found ET to prepare the way for the Antichrist?

Then again there was that Star Trek episode where there were Son Worshippers. It closed with Uhura saying that it was not SUN but SON and the Word was just now getting to them.

We've got a BIG GOD and even if he wanted to create life elsewhere.

We are still His creation on THIS Planet under His Covenants for THIS Planet.

I'd charge more... But, this was barely worth two cents! :)

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't doubt that life exists on other planets or has existed on other planets. (BTW, I accept a very old age of earth view)

The difference is I believe that no intelligent life exists outside of Earth. Big difference in conclusion.

Why is it NASA is always coming out with these declarations right about funding consideration time?

Unless they're planning on walking ET across the stage today I doubt this is as major as they suggest it is.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

NASA is about to get some big cuts and they know it. Unless they fabricate something that catches the governments eye they might be hurting. In all their searching they have not found a single suggestion that life exists any place but earth.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And the people rejoiced and were glad. Now I don't believe we'll find our equivilent in space as far as satient. However, if we did would that affect your faith?

7. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

C.S. Lewis once remarked that if there are aliens (i.e. intelligent extraterrestrial life) there is no reason to believe they aren't under the same judgment.

Anyhoo, it doesn't affect my faith. It does provoke interesting conversations about the image of God (which imho is a spiritual one anyways) and the direction of the atonement.

One point that someone has raised is that the vast majority of alien encounters exhibit remarkably similar characteristics to demonic activity. Just a thought...this isn't trying to say something like "well Satan put dinosaur bones in the ground to destroy peoples' faith."

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Exactly... NASA found a bacteria of sorts that replaces the phosphorous atom in its DNA with an atom of arsenic. Otherwise, it is arranged much like all other life on this planet, and they certainly did not find "extra-terrestrial" life, though all the headlines proclaim the discovery in those sensational terms.

Now, mind you, finding a new form of life on earth is a great discovery, but not one so earth-shattering that we all need to turn over our faith and start thinking along naturalistic/atheistic lines. Far be it. What was found is just another God-made adaptation of existing life. It has DNA, it replicates, and it is otherwise identifiable as earth-based life. They, so far, have exactly zero evidence that any life exists any other place than earth, but they keep trying.

The reason there is such a huge push to find life apart from earth, and/or life on earth that does not fit the bill of what we might call normal, is that scientists know that they have run into a dead end with the genesis of life by natural means here on earth. They simply must find a way that life was imported from somewhere else in order to continue their hypothesis that eliminates the need for a Divine Creator and First Cause.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

NASA published a short and cryptic press release on 29 November: they commented that they were arranging a news conference for 2 December “to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.”1 The obviously intended effect occurred pretty much immediately: the media and internet were set buzzing with widespread speculation as to what exactly this could mean, ranging from the prosaic to the preposterous....
    http://creation.com/nasa-et-suffered-arsenic-poisoning

10. billwald

billwald New Member

The critter obviously mutated/evolved into a new species.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Nothing has ever evolved into another species. All species can adapt to a point, but they remain in their own species since nothing can cross into another species.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill, bill, bill. From what evidence do you provide such a statement?

13. billwald

billwald New Member

By definition and common sense. It is a new KIND of life! It would be more obvious if it was a multi-celled critter because the two versions could not cross breed. Name another "adaptation" which was described as "revising the recipe for life" and "life as we didn't know it."

from http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...ke-may-reshape-hunt-for-extraterrestrial-life

Astrobiologists have been using life on Earth as a basis for hunting for potential habitats beyond the third rock from the sun. But most of the attention has focused on what researchers offhandedly refer to as "life as we know it." Until now, biological canon has held that life on Earth is mainly built around a mix of six chemical elements: hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, sulfur, nitrogen, and phosphorus.

But a small number of scientists have been pushing the idea of "life as we don't know it," says Dirk Schulze-Makuch, an astrobiologist at Washington State University in Pullman, Wash., who counts himself as one of this small band.

"There could be different building blocks used, different types of elements, or different types of energy sources," he says.

And now, along comes a terrestrial form of life that can replace phosphorus with arsenic and thrive.

Revising the 'recipe' for life

Other bacteria in effect "breathe" arsenic or use it as a food source, converting it into something less harmful. But the newly discovered bacteria incorporate it into the very fabric of their most basic biological structures.

"It's an exciting result that basically made my day," says Dr. Schulze-Makuch of the discovery, made by a team led by US Geological Survey biochemist Felisa Wolfe-Simon.

It's as though "the recipes to make the fundamental molecules of life are open for negotiation," adds James Elser, a biologist at Arizona State University who was not part of the group making the discovery.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why would satient aliens be under the same judgement. Certainly, when humans were created we weren't under the same judgement as angles (Prepared for the devil and his angels). We ended up rebelling but there is nothing to say an alien species would have.

Now demonic activity may resemble "alien encounters" which I believe come from people who are emotionally disturbed but it satient life did exist out there would it not question as you've said How is God's image defined. To what extent are we in charge of the universe? And many others besides.

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

16. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I don't know you'll have to ask Lewis.

I don't understand this point. Is it worded correctly? Honestly just trying to answer as completely as possible. Thanks! :)

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If et actually existed. Or an alien species that was self aware wouldn't question certain held beliefs. For instance: Are they made in the image of God? If not does that not place us in a higher position than they? Or if so what do we mean image of God? Salvation does it apply or not apply to them? How great is man's dominion? Just the earth, solar system, Galaxy? What exactly? Do they go to heaven or not. Does this question the existance of God? What if they don't believe in God?

18. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Ah I see, thanks. Yeah I don't know.

I'd recommend checking my first post here. I believe there is life outside of earth. Absolutely believe this. But don't for a second believe it is intelligent.

Probably a planet or two with plenty of little furry things running around. But no intelligence.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the fundamental problem with your statement: You here claim it is "new" life; but in your previous statement, you claim it evolved from an already existing life form. In other words, it is either a newly discovered form of life; or it is a previously existing form of life that has adapated to (evolved to continue existence) its surroundings. Which is it?

Also, you need to check up on the new claims (as of yesterday); there is growing concern that the NASA researchers who discovered this life followed some questionable research practices.

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

preachinjeses

I know "precious little" about "this" science, that is, the search and research into extraterrestrial life. But "any science" begins as "guess work", we call it a hypothesis. The science is in reality the testing and retesting of our hypothesis which leads to conclusions.

From a purely mathematical point of view, i.e. probability, It is reasonably likely that some forms or types of life exist within the vastness of our known universe. Our God is an awesome God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.