1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NASB or HCSB?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Friend of God, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each year I read thru the Bible in a new version, and this year I can't decide between whether to use the NASB or the HCSB.

I like the literal accuracy of the NASB, however; I enjoy the accuracy and readability of the HCSB also.

Your thoughts and opinions would be most helpful and welcome.

Thank you,
    Rob

2. OcalaGator

OcalaGator New Member

I have read both of them about a half dozen times. Although the NASB has been my "go to" Bible for several years, I find that the HCSB is fast becoming the Bible that I reach for, first. I love he extensive foot notes.

I am looking forward to the update, due out sometime this year. That will by my Autumn "read through" Bible.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Read through the HCSB last year- would strongly suggest it over the NASB.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read through the HCSB 2 years ago, and loved it. It has become my favorite translation. The NASB is a little choppy (like the ESV I am currently going through), and in some places you have to read a passage a few time to understand what it means, unlike the HCSB.

5. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

NASB All the way. :thumbsup:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's just between those two translations then the HCSB (I guess these days we're supposed to call it the CSB) would certainly be the better choice.However, Today's New International Version is superior to both.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree. I had an HCSB and was using it for Bible study but did not like it as much as the NASB. I found some passages not to be reading as accurately or as detailed as the NASB. Sorry, but I can't recall what the passages were.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't do so well in proving anything that damaging for the NIV in Judges 3.Somehow I think your "proof" against the CSB will also be lacking Marcia.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I wouls auggest the HCSB for reading, the NASB for study.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest the NIrV for those of Keith's reading abilities!(Ha!)

11. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

Hi: I don't post here much but I thought this topic interesting.
    For what is worth I started tryinng to read though a differnt translation each year after reading the NIV in '99, 2000, an '01. In '02 I read the NSABu didn't like to red it as musch as the NIV but liked the more grown-up words like "flesh" and "Propetiation". In '03 I read the KJV and the NKJV in '04. in '05 I read the HCSB and loved it it had Grown-up words and read it well. In '06 I decided to read the Spanish RV version. (since I'm a Spanish teacher) But it is not my native language and i didn;t finish it untill Sept/ Cotober of '07. Last year I read the HCSB again. This year I'm reading the ESV, i'ts onl Jan 21. and i already miss my HCSB!

12. EaglewingIS4031

For what it is worth I started tryinng to read though a differnt translation each year after reading the NIV in '99, 2000, an '01. In '02 I read the NSABu didn't like to red it as musch as the NIV but liked the more grown-up words like "flesh" and "Propetiation". In '03 I read the KJV and the NKJV in '04. in '05 I read the HCSB and loved it it had Grown-up words and read it well. In '06 I decided to read the Spanish RV version. (since I'm a Spanish teacher) But it is not my native language and i didn;t finish it untill Sept/ Cotober of '07. Last year I read the HCSB again. This year I'm reading the ESV, I'ts only Jan 21. and I already miss my HCSB!

13. EaglewingIS4031

For what it is worth I started tryinng to read though a differnt translation each year after reading the NIV in '99, 2000, an '01. In '02 I read the NSABu didn't like to red it as musch as the NIV but liked the more grown-up words like "flesh" and "Propetiation". In '03 I read the KJV and the NKJV in '04. in '05 I read the HCSB and loved it it had Grown-up words and read it well. In '06 I decided to read the Spanish RV version. (since I'm a Spanish teacher) But it is not my native language and i didn;t finish it untill Sept/ Cotober of '07. Last year I read the HCSB again. This year I'm reading the ESV, I'ts only Jan 21. and I already miss my HCSB!

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wasn't out to damage the NIV! I only showed an interesting passage in the NASB compared to the NIV and how the NIV left something out or didn't have it for some reason. I thought it did show something. Every detail in the Bible imo is important. God puts details in for a reason.

And as I said on that thread, I am not against the NIV; I just like the NASB better. Numerous people here post about how they think one version is better than another or why they like one better.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Besides, I didn't say I had "proof" against the CSB.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia, you had indicated that the NIV rendering in Judges 3 was enough for you to conclusively determine that the NIV was not up to snuff.I countered with several versions which treated those version in a similar fashion as did the NIV.You came up with a few too.Your evidence was not very substantial.

#16 Rippon, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said that there were several passages in the CSB which were not as accurate or detailed as the NASB.First of all, your idea of what constitutes accuracy may not be accurate.:laugh: And what does "detailed" denote with respect to a Bible version?

Did you happen to rediscover those mystery passages?

18. EaglewingIS4031

sorry!

The above post I made a few days ago was done at work in a hurry! I had a FEW mistakes in the first draft. I don't know why it posted 3 times. Sorry!

1,000 apologies from EW.
    Anyway read the HCSB!

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I would endorse the NASB. I use it a lot and that is now my main hard copy bible, though I probably use my ESV on my phone even more.

I do not have a copy of the CSB so I will simply not say one way or the other.

20. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks everybody for sharing your views and opinions. They mean a lot and are very helpful.

Rob