1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nee or Lee?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Lacy Evans, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I have often been told that many of Witness Lee's works have mistakenly been attributed to Watchman Nee. I was wondering if this was really true. Most people say it to discredit Nee in some way or another.

Does anyone have any real documentation that proves that some of Nee's books were really written by Lee and if so which books?

Thanks, Lacy

2. billwald

billwald New Member

do a google search.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

This is the 1st I've ever heard of this. I have several of Watchman Nees books and they are awesome. One in particular...The Normal Christian Life.

Mike

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

gee thanks

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Watchman Nee had some strange teachings and Witness Lee, his disciple, started a cult, the Local Church. Some of Nee's teachings are very convoluted. There was an extensive thread on Nee here on the BB several months ago in the Baptist discussion forum (either General Baptist discussions or Baptist Theology, I think), so do a search and you'll get some info. I've never done a search on the BB so I don't know how to do it but I hear others talk about doing it, so I guess it can be done.

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Marcia,

Someone told me that there are some of Nees books that are problematic. I wish I could remember the names of them. The ones I have...especially the one I refered to in my previous post...are very very rich. Very good "food" indeed!

God bless,

Mike

7. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Marcia,

I participated in that thread. (Or a similar one.) That is where my question came from. Folks would warn me about Nee, (I have about 30-40 of his books.) by saying something like, "You had better watch out! Some of the books attributed to Nee were really written by Lee."

I am just wondering if anybody knows for sure (and can help me with documentation) both whether it is true and (If so) which books are penned by Lee.

I did a Google search before I started this thread. As you could imagine, it is an odd and cumbersome thing to weed through. There is a bunch of info out there on Nee. I was hoping somebody just knew.

lacy

8. terriloo

terriloo New Member

Lacy,

Your post intrigued me, so I did a very brief Google search myself. I had never heard of Nee OR Lee, so I had a lot to learn!

I understand you "googled" just as I did, but perhaps I found a couple of tidbits you hadn't already found that might point you in the direction of an answer. Here are a couple of posts I found on "Factnet" that allude to the fact that Nee books could actually be Lee books:

==========================================
    http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/5662.html?1106683613
    seekingtruth (seekingtruth)

That may be so, I really don't know anything much about Nee. It's Lee and his band of cult followers that I worry about. I do know that Nee was mad at Lee for writing books under Nee's name, but trying to pass them off as Lee's own work. I think that was part of the reason Nee gave him the boot.
    ============================================

http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/3454.html?1107939680
    ralphwells (ralphwells) Posted Wed 1-26-2005; 9:58 am

As Boss said, you can get a lot of insights into the effects of the Watchman Nee books by going to our thread on TBS/GGWO.

As was said, Lee started his work after Nee was imprisoned, in fact, the way he began was to abscound with a lot of the folks that Nee helped to escape to Taiwan. Nee eventually died at the hands of the Communist Chinese. Later the books began to be published, however, although they were published as "Written by Watchman Nee" were actually transcribed from notes by a number of students, but mainly Lee. How accurately did they transalted? Very poorly I would say. My $0.02 from an ex TBS/GGWOer. Be blessed, Ralph
    ===========================================

There's obviously nothing conclusive in either of these posts--and certainly nothing authoritative--but it DOES indicate that there is some concern in many circles about the authenticity of Nee publications.

The thing I found very interesting--since I previously knew nothing about EITHER man-- is that apparently Mr. NEE is ALSO of "some concern" in certain Christian circles. Here's a site or two you might want to check out, if you haven't already:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/n01.html

http://withchrist.org/MJS/neelee.htm

I don't know if any of this will help you at all, but thought I'd offer!

terriloo [​IMG]

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Lacy and I are also of some concern, in certain circles. Nevertheless, I would recommend The Normal Christian Life to anyone who has ever read the book of Romans.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Mike and Lacy,

I don't know much about the authorship issue, but at best, from what I've read, it seems that Nee is a mixed bag. The the works ascribed to Nee are very problematic due to his mysticism, subjectivism, and dependence on internal leading over God's word.

As one of the links posted by Terriloo on apologetics index says:
    I know I read one Nee sermon where he calls God "the Father of our spirits." That is a strange and unbiblical statement, but typical of his rather mysterious way of seeing things. I try to stay away from him as I do not want those strange ideas in my head.

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

terriloo

Thanks and God bless you for helping me out. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the sites yet but I will. I appreciate your time, and didn't want to wait to thank you.

Lacy

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

James Newman,

That is the one that has blessed me more than any other. I've heard it referred to as a "Christian Classic" in evangelical circles. The Watchman Nee books I have gotten and been so blessed by were purchased at Christian bookstores...rather than a Nee web-site somewhere...so maybe they filter out the ones that are problematic.

God bless,

Mike

13. billwald

billwald New Member

We can make allowances for anyone who spent time in a Chinese prison. If I remember correctly, he wasn't well treated by "Christians" after he got out.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Boy, I would never count on a Christian bookstore to "filter" out bad books! I've found New Age authors and worse in Christian bookstores and in online Christian bookstores.

As for being in prison, yes we can give some allowance personally to someone who suffered that, but we should never give allowance for bad theology.

15. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Marcia,

Ha ha! [​IMG] I know what you mean. After I posted that I thought about some of the stuff I've seen in christian bookstores and I realised I posted sort of quickly without really thinking about it.

Mike [​IMG]

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think he died in prison. The man suffered for the Lord and I'm sure he will be rewarded, as promised. I pray that I can be found so faithful. As for his theology, I don't know anyone who has it all right, but I know a lot of people who think they do ;)

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

James Newman,

Ever notice how usually the ones who are the most problematic are the ones who claim to "have it all right"?

Cults like the JW's, Mormons, and Christian Science.

And "christian" groups overflowing with false teaching like the Catholic Church and EOC.

They(the Catholics) like to sort of brag that they...with their claim of unity...have got the "God protected from error" hierarchy to give them pure doctrine...in contrast to our supposed "20,000" denominations with supposedly "different doctrines"...and yet we, with no claim of any inerrant "Teaching Majesterium", are nowhere near as far off in foundational areas as they are.

Interesting.

Who should we trust...the Holy Spirit or the dictates of mere men?

God bless,

Mike

18. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

From what I gather, Lee had "edited" some of Nee's books. One guy said that the ones with the white covers are ok.

Man, it is a mess when folks start abridging and "editing" other folks writings. I encourage you not to throw out the baby (Nee) with the Witness Lee bathwater. But I guess it is a good idea to check your sources. His works are written for the common man and drip with wisdom. He reminds me alot of Spurgeon in taht way.

Lacy

Lacy

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Lacy,

Mine all have white covers. :D

Good advice, and I've noticed the same thing with Nee's writings.

God bless,

Mike