1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

need opinions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by buckster75, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why? Don't get me wrong, I'm in complete favor of church bible studies, but there's b no means anything wrong with a groups of folks getting together on their own and having a bible study or fellowship. Mrs Johnv and I have been part of an in-home couples bible study and fellowship, not run by a church.

I don't see any scriptural mandate for a bible study being only under a pastor from the church, nor do I see any scriptural mandate for bible studies needing to be sanctioned by the local church.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Johnv,

Im not saying that ALL Bible studies in your home ought to be sanctioned by a local church. But since buckster is talking about these Bible studies as becoming the replacements for specific church services, I believe in this case they should be held under the (at least) acknowledgement of their own church. He's right, otherwise it would be very close to just starting up a new church.
    Now, if it were to be decided that a new church ought to be started, than do it. Ask the original church to act as a "mother church" and help him begin a new work in another area of their city. When it is not the case of people leaving out of bitterness, than a new church beginning out of an old one in the same town is a wonderful thing.

But we're talking about Bible studies here.......
    and only when they are happening in place of a regular church service.

Oh, and I also did not mean to imply that I think the studies would have to be done BY a pastor of the church. If its a church-sponsored Bible study, than I think it ought to be conducted by someone who would meet the requirements that that church has for its SUnday School teachers.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Bapmom, you do address a valid point. I don't think small home fellowships or bible studies should replace a weekly fellowship in the church setting. There's great value to coming together once a week for fellowship and worship. But that's just my $.02, and not a scriptural mandate for all.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, a voice of reason. True, Hope of Glory. Deacons do tend to overstep.

But, a hoyse church meeting is a great idea. Not that it is new. It's more New Testament than meeting in the Cathedral of Praise, or a log cabin called a Primitive Baptist Church building.

Rotating it among possibly the Elders' houses every meeting day could help cut back on expenses for whoever's house the meeting is held, not to mention offerings for that purpose.

Great opportunity to invite neighbors and relatives in, too.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, a voice of reason. True, Hope of Glory. Deacons do tend to overstep.

But, a hoyse church meeting is a great idea. Not that it is new. It's more New Testament than meeting in the Cathedral of Praise, or a log cabin called a Primitive Baptist Church building.

Rotating it among possibly the Elders' houses every meeting day could help cut back on expenses for whoever's house the meeting is held, not to mention offerings for that purpose.

Great opportunity to invite neighbors and relatives in, too.

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

It sounds to me like the congregation has to step up your giving. Then you will be able to afford to heat the building and continue on with your ministry.

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly;
    and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
    Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
    And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every
    good work:" 2 Cor. 9:6-8

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

While I agree that in many cases people could give more, I also know that in many cases, cutting expenses is wise stewardship. Without knowing the specifics I would not want to judge.