1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Needlessly Loose Translation Choices

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that they translation same English word all of the time?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the one speaking language not to people, nevertheless is speaking to God, for no one is hearing, and even to the Spirit he is speaking secrets. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.

I just have to chuckle, as aren't the two different English words highlighted in 'Van's Tran' actually the same word in Greek?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More nitpicking, more effort to ridicule, but no effort to add to the discussion. I simply copied the CSB for verse three, it was not translated (or actually edited) by me. In verse three, men could be changed to people, so the nit pick is simply obfuscation. Did he say speaking in tongues was not a modern day heresy? Nope.

Salty wondered why we do not have edifying discussions. See the problem?

Too much bunker mentality?

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More assertions of the empty sack, with no examples to demonstrate the need for loose translation. As shown before an idiom can be translated literally and footnoted with the apparent idiomatic meaning. Every word of God's word is inspired, every phrase is inspired, and to play fast and loose with God's word to twist scripture to fit man-made doctrine is indeed bad, bad, bad!

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am not a mind reader. When you translate several Greek words, with differing shades of meaning, into the same English word or phrase, you are translating loosely. Ditto for translating a word outside of its historical range of meanings, such as surprise.
    The fictional claim is repeated and repeated but the claim refers to an empty sack with no examples.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are times where there can be a legit difference though, as there is more than one way to translate something over, correct?

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What?

Doesn't CSB start off ICor 14:3 with "person," rather than "one":

• Like Like x 1
  8. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not. The CSB reads "On the other hand, the person who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouragement, and consolation". That is not what you posted for verse 3.

You posted
    "But the one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation."
    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He must have his own edition of that translation!

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me an example if you are not just repeating an assertion without a basis in reality.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 7:28 one of those really hard passages to translate!

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I incorrectly thought I had copied the CSB, but now that I have looked it up in a colossal waste of time, It turns out I did not even quote the NASB accurately. But all this clamoring is simply finding fault to avoid the topic. The subject is verse 2. I provided an edit of that verse that clarifies its meaning.

I am trying to engage in discussion of an important topic, protection of the Word of God from loose, inaccurate, and ambiguous translations contained in modern translations (and in older ones as well.)

13. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for clarifying. I think everyone on this thread would support an accurate translation. Even those who are more strongly supporting a more functional transaltion do so because they think it best conveys what God is saying to the reader.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, the NASB managed to translate it, the LEB managed to translate it, and the NKJV managed to translate it. So what exactly is "really hard" to translate?

So we have affliction in the flesh presenting an obscure meaning. So instead, the translators could insert ""difficult circumstances" and footnote the literal "affliction in the flesh" phrase. Nothing really hard about that! :)

15. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While not disagreeing with the above translations. The LEB would be very close to how I would translate it. But Yeshua may be refering to the word παρθένον(παρθένος). "In Greek literature outside the NT, parthenos generally refers to a young woman of marriageable age with or without a focus on virginity."-Mounce Word Study.

While I agree with how the transaltions rendered the word, careful judgment had to be exercised based on context (v.34).

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't think before you post. You don't verify. You repeat false things much of the time.

Do what I said and see for yourself --read the Preface of the KJV by Miles Smith.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The empty sack has been turned inside out. Modern translations contain needlessly loose translation choices. And the effort to justify the malfeasance has been exposed as an assertion without evidence.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One has to wonder why you thought that falsehood? Did you read it somewhere? Pick a word, any word. Let's take "perish" in John 3:13.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, for was the intent on ones own daughter, on someone you are to marry, or what?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean that the Csb is not a valid translation, and not the word of God then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.