1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Bible Reveals God's Heart Towards Poverty, Injustice

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I can see where this Bible can be a good thing in pointing out that the church does need to be more involved in the lives of the "least of these"...but the whole "Justice" thing scares me after seeing how the liberal mindset has hijacked that term to support their behaviors.
    I remember when Dr. Mohler was continuing to make necessary changes at Southern during my first year there...those who sought to oust him, fight the system and do anything other than abide by seminary guidelines did so under the theme of "justice"; one example why this worries me.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church is plenty involved. The liberal left is just trying to justify there push for more government run programs.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

The economic situation has changed in the last 2000 years. For openers, 2000 years ago citizens were not taxed for govt welfare programs.

Second, in the the USofA there is no economic reason why anyone born in the last 60 years should be poor.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. They were just robbed blind and torched.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try having to pay for cancer treatments without insurance. The guy was disabled for years and could not afford insurance because of all his pre-exising conditions.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Exactly why should "insurance" pay for a pre-existing condition? Should a person be able to buy fire insurance while his house is on fire?

Are the taxpayers obligated to prolong life of all people as long as it is technically possible? If not, what is the public's obligation?

If the govt is obligated to pay all medical costs then is the govt not obligated to limit dangerous activities?

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was responding to your statement that there is no reason for anyone to be poor in the USA. There are legitimate reasons why people are poor in America. You will note that Jesus said you will always have the poor with you - he did not say you will always have the poor with you except in the USA where everyone can get rich if they want to. Since you interjected a whole lot of things into the discussion I did not say, I wll answer.

The guy I mentioned was burned as a child and was no longer being treated for the pre-existing conditions. The insurance companies simply used it as an excuse to not give him insurance or make the premiums so high he never could afford it. He was not engaged in "dangerous activities." You sound like it would have been if he had simply died instead of living and becoming dependant on other people. Hitler called the elderly, the sick, and the disabled "useless eaters." He claimed that since they could not produce that they were a burden to society and promoted getting rid of them. We defeated Hitler in 1945 and yet many of his ideas live on in various forms today.

The Church in America praises self-sufficiency and falsely claim that God helps those that help themselves. That is nowhere found in the Bible. Man can do nothing on his own - even the breath he breathes is a gift from God. I am glad that the government has stepped in and created a safety net for those that need it. The fact that some abuse the system does not mean that we should get rid of it - it just means we need to be more diligent in making sure those that benefit are truly needy. I don't think we need more programs or bigger government to make things better. We just need to root out those that are not truly needy - i.e. get the frauds off of the rolls.

#8 TC, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008