1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured New Birth Contrasts and Consequences

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's great that you're meeting in that way and I make no criticism, but a church will have officers, Biblical discipline and observation of the ordinances. Your home group may grow into a church, but unless it has those features, it is not yet one.

A church is the people described in Acts 2:41-47. They have gladly received the word of God, been baptized, and now they meet together under a leadership, learning more of the faith, joining together in the Lord’s supper and in prayer, looking to each other’s needs, having joy in their hearts and praising God together.

A church is the people described in 1 Cor 1:2-8. They have been set apart in Christ, called in holiness, have received undeserved favour and peace from God; their knowledge of God and their witness to Him comes from the Holy Spirit, who has given them corporately all the gifts they need to function as a church, as they eagerly await the return of their Lord who will preserve them in Him until that day.

The Lord Jesus is continuing to build His Church even at this present time (Eph 2:21-22 ); she is His bride; He has purchased her with His own blood and she is a chaste virgin. As it is written, ‘In that day there shall no longer be a Canaanite in the house of the Lord of Hosts’ (Zech 14:21 ). It is the duty of the leadership of each individual church to seek to make the assembly in its charge as pure as possible (2 Cor 11:2 ).

The Church is composed of those who have come out of the world to join it. They are no longer what they were (Eph 5:8 ). Peter speaks of them as ‘sojourners and pilgrims’ (1 Peter 2:11 ). Paul told the church at Philippi, ‘Our citizenship is in heaven’ (Phil 3:20 ), and to the Colossians he said, ‘[God] has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love’ (Col 1:13 ). The church at Thessalonika had, ‘Turned to God from idols to serve the true and living God’ (1 Thes 1:9 ). They came out of the world and into the church. Now some will say immediately, “Ah, yes. But this refers to the invisible church. In the visible church there are many who are in the world and in the church at one and the same time.” Perhaps, but this is simply not the language of Scripture. When Paul writes to the church at Colossae, he is addressing, ‘The saints and faithful brethren in Christ’ (1:2 ). He knows nothing of a ‘visible’ or ‘invisible’ church, but only an assembly of true believers. If there were false brethren in the Colossian church, Paul’s letter is not addressed to them. It is true that there are exhortations to the believers to examine themselves (2 Cor 13:5 ), and warnings against falling away (Heb 6:4-8; 10:26-38 ), but the writer to the Hebrews remains confident that the recipients of his letter will remain constant (Heb 6:9; 10:39 ).

Although there may be disagreement between individual assemblies over secondary issues like church government or administration of the Lord’s Supper, there is unity over the basics: the authority and sufficiency of Scripture, the deity and humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ, His atoning death and resurrection, justification by faith alone and so forth. An assembly that does not hold to these fundamental truths is no church at all, but a synagogue of Satan. These are the very ‘things of the Spirit of God’ of which Paul speaks. It is not a matter of dead orthodoxy, but the unity of those who have been born again. The unity of an individual assembly is not preserved by glossing over contentious issues, but by appointing a church leadership which will ensure the preaching of the ‘whole counsel of God’ (Acts 20:27 ) and lead the church to grow into unity around the word of God (Eph 4:7-16 ).

Another distinguishing feature of a true church is love. The Lord Jesus told the apostles, “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35 ). We are to love all Mankind, even our enemies, but our first duty is to our fellow Christians (Gal 6:10 ). The first church made sure that there was no one within its ranks who was in need (Acts 4:32-37; 1 John 3:16-18 ). The members of a church are frequently a diverse bunch of people! They will often be from different social and economic groups, be of differing intellects, have individual personalities and have come from varying church backgrounds. Some may have very little in common with others, save a love of the Lord Jesus Christ. But that which draws them together is greater than that which separates them. ‘If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?’

[Taken from my blog post https://marprelate.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/what-is-a-church/ ]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.....there is none with these characteristics.....now what?

but I digress, at least not within an hours drive of the community. But the assembly that I am referring to has those characteristics,albeit small they love one another, are completely committed to Christ, to becoming disciples, to making disciples,studying scripture, being baptized etc.

#22 Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you really saying there are no good churches within an hour's drive in New Jersey?

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good.

Well, except for that "going to church" thing. :)

Okay.

Good.

Good.

By whom? What church is doing the baptizing?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you need to take steps to becoming a church. Contact a church grouping that you trust (FIRE? ARBCA?) and ask them for help in planting a church and for an existing church to oversee your transition from Bible study group to church.. It really is disgraceful that there is no Bible-believing church in a well-populated area like New Jersey.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are......so do we need a graduate od a seminary do you think? If so then Im in trouble because the guy who baptized me wasnt. :oops:
    Besides, arent you supposed to find one reasonably close to where you live so you could be there more. What does it profit me to have to drive great distances when there is great need for a church plant here where there is nothing. And before you ask the question note that I have spoken to any and all the churches that are noteworthy & they refuse to plant in my community.

Tom It breaks my heart to see so many False Profits & False Churches that lead the flock adrift. Over the years, I have asked any noteworthy churches outside the boundries to consider church plants but they steadfastly refuse any assistance. Ive even went to that Reformed Baptist group in Carlile PA for help & spoken to the guy who was in charge.....seems its too expensive but he wanted to prop up a dead church (I refused not because of arrogance because I sat with them for 6 months & they really truly are dead---plus there not situated in my community).

But I believe that the Lord has been working to place a real church in the community.....either I work to build one or he provides one. I just spoke to my younger brother (who served as a youth pastor in Scranton PA after graduating from Baptist Bible) & I again suggested that we both serve in a local "dead church" & help to revive them. Of course we would not be the Pastor & he (the current Pastor) has just not been willing to implement Discipleship programs.....he also tongue & cheeks active Great Commission initiatives. This guys biggest reach outs are Ice Cream Socials & Friday Night Movie Get Together's.

But currently, because Ive been forsed to operate out of our own homes, meeting in a home forces the size of the gathering to be small, which means that the members can actually get to really personally know everyone in the gathering, and by the Holy Spirit, these members can truly become family. But as we all know, family is difficult, but if we really are going to exhibit this Christ-like love that is empowered by the Holy Spirit, we can't shy away from people who are different from us. No, not only do we invite these different types of people into our gatherings and into our homes, we're inviting them into the body of Christ—a genuine family—with all of the ups and downs that go along with that.

In this same line of thought, meeting in homes also means we meet within our own neighborhood. This means that when we do outreach, we're reaching out to the folks in our very own neighborhoods. Thus we are really working hard to bring Christ back to our own home community......and I gotta tell you, "The Spirit" has not been there for some time.

I have other thoughts on it which I wont go into right now, but the Lord has been moving in me with great fury & I can only obey his will in this.....of course Id like help...:Geek :Wink

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I did brother.....the answer was NO. apparently its not the popular thing to do today in the good ole USA. BTW, the population of New Jersey is dwindling. The biggest growth industry is the MOVING INDUSTRY!

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The degrees on the wall are irrelevant regarding scriptural baptism, which is 4 fold: #1 A proper candidate, #2 a proper mode, #3 a proper meaning, and #4 a proper administrator.

#1 A person already born again and making a public profession of his new faith.

#2 Full immersion.

#3 Picturing the persons participation in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ with the understanding there is no salvific merit in baptism.

#4 A local New Testament church, which is, by definition an #1 organized, #2 assembly, of #3 baptized, #4 believers.

#1 Organized, ordered according to the scriptures with pastors and deacons: Philippians 1:1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons.

#2 An assembly of God's people for the purpose of keeping the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.

#3 baptized membership upon credible testimony of faith in Christ as Savior.

#4 believers, a regenerate assembly.

Then plant one. :)

Why are you looking for someone else to plant your church? Find a good bible believing church and approach them with your burden and ask them to ordain you as a church planter and send you back to your community to plant a church.

Why ask them to do it? You do it. Just find a church that is willing to be your sponsor. They don't have to pay you, you can be a tent maker, all they have to do is send you with local church authority. Then, when you are properly organized as a local church you can become independent of your sending authority and even become a sending authority to plant other churches in the community.

And I have nothing at all against small home churches. In fact, in my opinion, they are probably the majority of world wide Christianity. It is only here in the US and other prosperous first world nations, that churches have their own property, buildings, parking lots, etc. World wide must churches meet in homes, corners of warehouses, and even in public venues. Remember, the early church in Jerusalem met on Solomon's Porch adjacent to the Temple. :)

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this to say some unregenerate folks seek God and could trust fully in Christ without being enabled by irresistible grace? Matthew 23:13

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's my point.....they don't want to sponsor.. Look at it from their prospective......it will cost them in both time & money & they have been there in the past & it didn't work for them (in the direction of NYC, not NW New Jersey)....so its a" been there & done that" mentality. Also, just who am I to them....just a voice crying out in the wilderness:Laugh. They would 1st want to bring me into their fold (which would be a major commitment to me in both time, distance & money). Then what happens to the people I have assembly with? Would they disband.....they have already decided that they want a close assembly & they like being in their own neighborhoods where they can disciple neighbors (who really need Christ). See, this aint easy.....unless the Mother Ship Church that you suggest gets off their arses & actually goes out....which they have already decided NOT to do.

Truthfully, I am seriously considering taking over the other church which is 1. In the Community 2. Has a building, 3. Is Baptistic (sorta---they are a Denomination & Id perfer they were not). The only reason they still keep their doors open is because they rent the place out to Russians & Ukrainians in the afternoon & they steadfastly will not integrate with the Americans (they want to preserve their traditions). ....How do I know all this, I visited with them for 6 weeks to learn their ways & thoughts....so I know the lay of the land.:Sneaky

12. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't really see why you don't continue with what you are doing. Do you need a building? A specific name for your group? You have them both, the Body of Christ and...Christian.

If you truly feel there are no Spirit-filled Christians within an hour of you (and that is the implication when you deny God's presence in either the leadership or the fellowships you have visited), and you truly feel you are capable of leading group fellowships (and there is no reason why you could not), then...take a look at what you're already doing. lol

The Church is not restricted to a building, and in fact meeting in homes can be traced back to day one.

From what I have read perhaps all I would caution you about is the derision you direct at the efforts of others, which also, in my view, undermines the fact that God ministers even in those wretched fellowships where everyone there is wrong, lol.

My grandfather was a member of a fellowship called the "Truth (kind of a jab if you ask me, lol)," and they too met in the home. They did not believe people should have buildings, and sent their "Workers (missionaries)" two by two. If it were not for their doctrine, I would have joined them. But they deny the Deity of Christ, so could not possibly join. I remember as a very small child going, and remember people standing up to give testimony, which was similar to a "message" being preached. They are nationwide, and I am sure international, and have been around for a long time. I think their roots go back to the early days of this country when lack of understanding concerning Christ's Deity could be seen in a number of groups. I remember my niece doing a paper on Abigail Adams (wife of John Adams), and asking me to proof-read. By reading her quotes I could see she too denied the Deity of Christ.

So my personal opinion (and that's all this is) is that I think the Lord can minister in such a setting. For the time being, why not keep at it. The important thing I see for you (and this is based on past discussions) is that you are fellow-shipping with other Christians and it has a focus on the Word of God. Fellowship doesn't guarantee, nor demand, Doctrinal Flawlessness, it simply demands more than one Christian.

;)

God bless.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I am reading what both Tom & the Biblesist are saying is there needs to be a Mother-ship Sponsor.
    Personally, I wanted a MS Sponsor as well....but alas there is none (that I have found) willing. That leaves me with 2 options.....commute away from the community or continue on my other course of developing an organic church.....oh, 3rd option is to abscond with someones church which has its own set of baggage.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? What does it cost to ordain and man? What does it cost to commission him?

Why?

Why would they disband? They now have an ordained church planting pastor and have local church authority to continue the ministry.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Control

They wouldnt ....not if it plays out the way you mentioned. However it has not.....not to this point anyway. But I am an action type guy. I like to see results so if I waited for them to actually do something, the area would have been dead. What it takes & has been lacking is deliberate pursuit & attentiveness.....and that is something that is lacking with the mother ship......so why even approach them anymore?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Let me bottom line this for you. They are really not interested in planting a church outside their boundaries.....rather they are interested in having people get into their cars and drive for an hour to their building, participate in their services & contribute to their monetary initiatives. See they are not growing....quite the reverse so they want your participation .....not an initiative that doesn't bolster them. Thats the focus & too bad if you don't agree. That is the attitude Ive seen anyway. Again, the Garden State (AKA New Jersey) is not growing in population......people are leaving in droves because of high taxes, high cost of living & employers escaping to economic climates more conducive to their agendas. Consequently churches in NJ are not getting the people & not getting the funding they once had......that literally is going SOUTH. So from their prospective, an agenda of planting something can be viewed as diluting their own plantation, right! Tom, it is a very different atmosphere in New Jersey than it is in the south.

17. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Personally, I would never lead our church to sponsor anyone who is not like faith and order with us. Moreover, I would never lead our church to lay hands on anyone who is not teachable or submissive to authority. These churches that refuse to aid you in starting a church in your area composed of you, must have reasons why? I am just looking at this from a church perspective rather than from your perspective.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really have been contemplating a quote that I have read by Francis Chan that sticks with me.......

"He wants all or nothing. The thought of a person calling himself a 'Christian' without being a devoted follower of Christ is absurd.

So the question 'for me anyway is' how can I serve Him & ignore my own community who has fallen so far from Him? See God has put it on my heart to serve Him by making Disciples of people in my own neighborhood.....I CANT IGNORE that clear message. Brothers, it has eternal consequences.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the best of my ability, Ive already explained it. Truthfully, as a Christian & a Pastor, if you saw void areas (areas without Christs representation) in your coverage area, what would you do?

See Its far easier to me to allow the Momma Church to do the work. Then I could retire to Tampa & take long walks on the beach.

20. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My question is, why will not any church that has taken time to get to know you and your needs refuse to help you? I personally do not know of any church in our fellowship that would not reach out and help in some way to start a church of like faith and order UNLESS the person seeking that help was not a suitable candidate (unteachable, not like faith and order, unsubmissive to authority; self-centered, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.