1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New deans at Southern Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by go2church, Jan 29, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose if you'd want to take a shot at the SBC and that's the best one you come up with then the SBC's pretty safe. </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps you do know that Southern Seminary about ten years ago hired some non-SBC people at the seminary. The SBC also brought some people on their boards to advise them who are not SBC at all and still are not.

When I was a student at SWBTS the average professor had pastoalr experience of 10 years. The average professor years ago was an active pastor. Those who were students then will tell you it was much better and different having professors who were pastors. But now they won't allow the professors to pastor as the regular pastor of a church. They can only be an interim. Of course some are an interim for several years.

2. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

I don't believe that I ever addressed whether or not the school was classic SBC, simply whether or not those hires were acceptable.

If we want to discuss the weaknesses of Southern (and it's not the lack of pastoral training of it's faculty) then I would happily discuss how Southern has become closet Presbyterian. That is, to my mind, a legitimate problem.

As a giver to the co-operative program I like to support Baptist institutions. If I wanted to join a Presbyterian church I'd go to one of their churches.

Still, that wasn't what I was addressing in my initial posts in this thread.

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Just as most evangelicals would agree on the basics. The nuances is where the primary differences lie (and a nuance can be enormous in terms of theological construct and emphasis).

4. All about Grace

Totally my opinion here: Ware is neither Southern Baptist enough nor user-friendly enough.

5. zuchva

zuchva New Member

So Ware is Southern Baptist enough to be the Associate Dean? I had him for Theology and he seemed plenty user-friendly to me.
    I am assuming you are speaking outside of the SBTS world that he is not user-friendly?

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

SBCbyGRACE,

I read your post dated January 30. I too, questioned the idea about being 5 point Calvinists. Westminister Seminary has done enough damage to God's Word with their stilted view of God's universal love for all sinners. [I John 2:1-2] Thank God He is opened to all people lest we severely damage the perfected justice of Almighty God. Thanks for clearing up someone else's mis-information.

Berrian, Th.D.

7. All about Grace

Outside of his world, he is not user-friendly. Ask him to write a book or give a lecture on a particular subject and he is awesome. Ask him to rub palms with the SBC bureaucracy and he is outside his element. I am not criticizing the bureaucracy by the way. I am simply saying Ware does not have enough of a SBC history to be heavily involved therein.

At one time he was my ThM supervisor and I was sitting in his office one day when someone asked him if he was going to chapel to hear Jerry Vines preach, to which Ware replied, "Jerry Vines -- Is that someone I should be familiar with? Who is Jerry Vines?"

Like I said, not SBC user-friendly.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or perhaps it was a polite way of not wanting to hear Jerry Vines speak?!! I didn't know who Vines was until I spent some time in Florida either. The the whole Islam thing kinda put him on the map.