1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by ccrobinson, Mar 21, 2006.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, got it.

The reference to taking an Aussie (Tegan) to the airport. Got it.

How an old woman could conceive of and
    build a rocket--didn't get that. How same rocket did not torch the people milling around the launchpad--didn't get that.

One of the best this season. Thought the old lady did a fabulous acting job and was blown away when I found out she was Diana Rigg.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I have to admit; I didn't catch the two references.

I don't recall it actually being explained, but I assumed she had advanced knowledge because of her "shared knowledge" with "Mr. Sweet"....

Latest episode ("Nightmare in Silver"?) - meh. Their first encounter with the resurrected Cyberman, and they realize it moves faster than they can see -- and they subsequently go out by themselves, to be picked off one-by-one???

That was the only part I disliked.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I had the same thoughts. Why show them having the ability of super speed and then have them clanking around the rest of the episode?

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Presumably Mr Sweet told her

And her blind daughter was played by Dame Diana's daughter IRL.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah.....I didn't get the sense that the slug parasite was a brainiac. And even if it were so, it begs the question as to how he would know how to do it.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Name of the Doctor -- talk about an ending that left me confused....

10. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, except for the last five minutes or so. I was left sitting on my couch thinking, "What the wha????" :confused:

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto.

I'm thinking the John Hurt doctor is an evil incarnation of the Doctor we don't know about. He would be the one that destroyed Gallifrey in the Time War. Since he was a destroyer and not a savior of planets/people he doesn't get to use the name "Doctor". Matt Smith's character had a line alluding to this, "he was me but he wasn't a Doctor" (or something similar, can't remember exact quote.)

This would mean Smith is Doctor #12, not #11. However, I always figured McGann's doctor carried out the Time War, but I guess it's never been explicitly stated as such. Another possibility is that the John Hurt character is an aged McGann, though that seems unlikely.

I loved, loved the opening sequence on Gallifrey.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buzz on the Net seems to be that Hurt is the 8th doctor, for the reasons you identified.

But the emphasis on the 50th anniversary show seems to be around Tennant and Smith vs. Hurt....

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they think Hurt is an older McGann? I'd have a tough time buying into that since it would be way out of character for McGann's portrayal of the Doctor. (He made a lot of audios and was in tons of books during the TV show's hiatus.)

Maybe Hurt's doctor is number 8.5?

Meh. I hope not.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The Doctor: "The name I chose is the Doctor. The name you choose, it's like a promise that you make. He's the one who broke the promise."

Unknown Doctor: "What I did, I did without choice."

Doctor: "I know."

UD: "In the name of peace and sanity."

Doctor: "But not in the name of the Doctor."

I have to agree that the John Hurt Doctor has to be the incarnation that ended the Time War. What this does, though, is screwup the history of NuWho, because, while I don't think the Doctor himself has ever said he was the 9th, 10th or 11th Doctor, that's what we've been told outside the show.

I guess that if 11 says the John Hurt Doctor isn't really the Doctor because of what he did to end the Time War, then then saying that 11 is still 11 is true, "from a certain point of view."

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The opening scene with dear old Billy was something special. I'm not sure though how it (as continued later in the episode) squares with the TARDIS' assertion in The Doctor's Wife that she stole the Doctor rather than the other way round.

Is John Hurt's incarnation the Valeyard, perchance?

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That was excellent.

The TARDIS stole him away once he went into it, but he had to make the choice in the first place. Perhaps the TARDIS, if it doesn't like a particular Time Lord, won't work for them so easily, if at all. We've seen an example of the TARDIS simply not wanting to go where the Doctor wants her to and maybe that applies in this case.

I've thought about that, too. I'm inclined to say it isn't, but I don't have a good reason for saying so. It very well could be.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well...now that I've read up on the Valeyard (didn't like the 6th doctor, so didn't watch)...John Hurt being the Valeyard makes more sense to me.

There's a lot of talk about John Hurt wearing clothing reminiscent of McGann and Eccleston; but that big fuzzy coat reminds me of an earlier version of the Doctor ... so it's not a stretch for me to think "amalgamation of Doctors somewhere between the 12th and 13th" ....

I guess we'll see this November.

18. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Tardis is much bigger on the inside. But the outside feeling gives you and tricks you that it is much more smaller.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You may not know this, but the real police boxes were designed to hold just 1 person. They were designed so that a criminal could be locked into it while the average citizen could call the cops from the phone on the outside. At least, this is what I've read over the years. It's why everybody thinks the Doctor is crazy when he talks about both of them going into the police box.

Trivia question. What does the Doctor call the phenomenon of the TARDIS being bigger on the inside? Who does he explain this to and what's the episode where it took place?

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Dimensional transcendence. I can't remember the exact episode but it was involving Leela and he used two boxes to illustrate it. I think either Robots of Death or Horror of Fang Rock.