1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Era SBC President: a Mix of Reformed Baptist, Charismaticism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehbowen

ehbowen Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this board have a popcorn smiley? Guess not. But I'd love to see you make that argument to God in person.

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He's just repeating God's argument from Hebrews 1 and Revelation.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 2 AM Pacific.

4. ehbowen

ehbowen Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you're talking with a kid who wouldn't hesitate to say, "But the emperor isn't wearing any clothes!" if the situation warranted it. I believe that it does. And that both Hebrews 1 and Revelation are going to be superseded. Not forgotten, not overturned, any more than the Old Testament was by the New Testament. But in light of what will eventually be revealed about God's nature and character, remembered in much the same way as you now remember your eight year-old daughter saying she was never going to get married because boys were so yucky.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Well let me ask you this then. What signs and miracles are you witnessing? And how do they compare to those recorded at Pentecost?

6. ehbowen

ehbowen Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would need - - and demand - - signs and miracles if my purpose was to convince you as a representative acting in the name of God. But I don't need them for God to convince me. I'm not trying to make any converts...but I do want to say what I think.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

So, it sounds to me like you're a closet cessationist. You just need to come out of the closet.

The truth is virtually all continuationists are really closet cessationists. They all admit that what they're doing today is far from what god was doing at Pentecost. That's why I'm a cessationist. Pentecost was in your face first rate signs and wonders. Resurrections from the dead, arms stretched out and made whole, real tongues in real languages communicating the gospel to unbelievers. And they were for all to see. They were for signs. They authenticated the authority of the early Apostles and their Churches they were planting. And that's what they'll be in the last days when Christ returns.

Today they are either top secret or just some embarrassing excuse for a miracle. I'm not against miracles. I believe miracles happen today. But I never see them in the form of a gifted individual who's being authenticated by God. And it sounds like you don't either.

8. ehbowen

ehbowen Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I don't believe the sign gifts have ceased. I just think that they're not necessary right now, when what God is doing in my life is showing me his heart. Yes, maybe I should just keep my big mouth shut...but I like to speak up and say what I think. Even if, at least for the moment, I can't prove it. Someday, perhaps...I'll be able to.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

Which is exactly what cessationists believe.

10. ehbowen

ehbowen Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm sure that your understanding of cessationist doctrine is superior to mine, seeing as how I hadn't seen the term in conversation until you brought it up. My understanding of the word implies that they believe that the gifts are gone for good. My own thought is that God the Holy Spirit is looking for just the right opportunity to bring them back...for good!

Edit To Add: Hence, my signature....;)

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

Gone for good as far as certain generations. But certainly could resume, and most cessationists believe they will resume in the last days. The 144 thousand for instance, will certainly be gifted with many gifts.

I'd be curious who you're getting your definitions from. Cessationists themselves or their detractors?

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.