1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Football League, XFL, Starts Today. Anybody Watching?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by InTheLight, Feb 8, 2020.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The XFL starts their inaugural season today. Looks like ABC is televising a game at 2:00 EST and FOX has one at 5:00 EST. Two games on TV tomorrow.

There are some interesting rules. Probably the most intriguing to me is that double forward passes will be allowed. Here is a highlight list of the rules that differ from the NFL:

1. Double forward passes are allowed. The first forward pass must be completed behind the line of scrimmage. The second forward pass must cross the line of scrimmage.

2. Extra points. No extra-point kicks. After TDs teams can try for a single point by running one play from the 2-yard line, try for two points from the 5-yard line or three points from the 10 yard like. Guess what? This means an 18 point lead is theoretically a 2 possession game! Also less chances for overtime games.

3. Receivers only need 1 foot inbounds.

4. Clock. Play clock will be 25 seconds. Game clock will run continuously up to the 2 minute warning. (Incompletions and plays going out of bounds will stop the clock.)

5. Overtime. Each team will have five tries to score from the opponent’s 5-yard line. Each successful try is worth two points. Overtime ends when one team has an insurmountable points lead.

6. Kick returns are back! The kickoff team cannot move until the kick returner catches the ball. (That can't be right, can it?) Punts are discouraged as the punting team can't cross the line of scrimmage until the punter kicks the ball.

Obviously, the rules are intended to speed up the game and provide for more scoring and more exciting finishes. I'm going to take a look.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems any competition to the NFL is going to need some gimmicks to spur interest. It may get football fans to tune in once or twice. The question is whether fans will continue to watch after the novelty is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the constant interruption in play, TV commercials, replay review interruptions, slow paced games, automatic extra points, constant punting, etc. etc. of the NFL I can do without, thank you.

There will be a dedicated official in the XFL to spot the ball on the field so no more of the quaint practice of having three guys run the sticks and chain out onto the field to spot the ball.

Also, players will be allowed to have headsets inside their helmets to speed up play calling. This should be a fast and exciting brand of football.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Spring Training starts next week and Baseball trumps football in every way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a die-hard baseball fan, I agree. But you know we are in the minority, right?

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still, fall-winter has competing sports: football (college and pro), basketball (college and pro), and hockey and they all do well. Maybe the XFL cuts out a small but profitable niche for itself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Narrow is the way.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watched most of the first game and pretty much enjoyed it as it seemed to move much faster than I'm used to.
    'Course I really don't follow pros much, but this one was more interesting than normal - to me anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched both games today. Enjoyed it. Glad to see coach Jones again. He is one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couple of other things -
    There is a 9th "team" Players on this team will be back up for injured players.
    So if LA need another QB and NY needs a Linemen - they will be called up from Team 9 and play for those 2 different team.

Game tickets could be as inexpensive at $20!

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No baseball don't trump football in blocking and tackling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched that All-Star Game. I was 9 years old. I do not think Rose should have bowled Fosse over in a game that did not count in the standings but that is how Rose played - all out all the time. It is a mockery of the Hall of Fame to deny Pete Rose admission. Yes. He bet on baseball. He did deserve some type of discipline from Major League Baseball. He could have been banned from working in Major League Baseball. He could have been suspended from Hall of Fame eligibility for a few years. But to exclude the all-time leader in games played, plate appearances, at-bats, and hits from Hall of Fame eligibility diminishes Cooperstown. I guess the only solace Pete Rose has is the knowledge that he is above the Hall of Fame. His accomplishments on the field are beyond the right to be judged by anyone except God.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you must not have seen the Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baseball Trumps football in BORING.

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the problem with him betting? He always bet on his team. I dont see a problem with betting on your own team. Betting against would be a major problem.

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem was that it was against the rules... But they should have looked at the spirit of the rule which was to keep games from being fixed like the 1919 World Series. Rose wasn't fixing games.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you bet on your own team on Tuesday and Wednesday, you pull out all the stops to win. Maybe you pull the starting pitcher in the 5th inning because you want to bat a pinch hitter instead of batting the pitcher. So you use the bullpen more frequently. Maybe you have your closer pitch in both games, maybe more than one inning per game.

You've exhausted your bullpen on Tuesday and Wednesday and your closer is unavailable on Thursday, but no big deal, you're not betting on Thursday's game.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coaches do the same thing all the time without betting.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched parts of both games. I thought they were entertaining. I loved the increased pace of play. I loved the fact that the refs didn't take over the games with penalty calls. I think I saw one pass interference call the entire time I watched and I know if this was the NFL there would have been two (or more) called on plays I saw.

I love they let guys hit each other. QB's can be sacked, not coddled. I saw a play in the endzone where a d-back had a bone crushing hit on a receiver, including incidental helmet to helmet contact, jarring the ball loose and saving a touchdown that would have been a penalty for sure in the NFL.

I love the transparent replay calls where the audience gets to see and hear the replay official work and listen as they speak with the officials.

Love the reduced amount of commercial breaks. This is due to the increased pace of play and the fact that each team gets 2 timeouts rather than 3 as in the NFL.

Love the 2 minute "catch-up" rule. In the final 2 minutes of each half the clock stops after each play. No more kneeling down to wind down the game. No more hurry up to the line and spike the ball to stop the clock.

Kickoffs are really interesting. The kicking team lines up on the opponents 35 yard line. The kicker kicks off from his own 30 yard line. Nobody except the kicker and the kick receiver may move until the kick receiver catches the ball. Once the receiver catches the ball, the coverage team springs into action. This rule preserves the excitement of the kickoff play and reduces chances of injury since the coverage team is not flying downfield at full speed.

Love that touchbacks on punts and kickoffs get the ball spotted at the 35 yard line. Also punts or kicks that go out of bounds. This discourages kicking into the endzone in general and discourages punting unless your team is really pinned down deep in your own territory.

The level of play was generally pretty good. Like watching a couple of top ten rated NCAA teams go at it. However, I did notice the individual speed of the players was less than NFL players. Not a big concern since most players were evenly matched. I did see a couple of embarrassingly bad pass attempts by the QB's.

• Agree Agree x 1