1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Higgy, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Higgy

Higgy New Member

Hey everyone,

Stumbled across this website today, decided to join. I have always grown up in the Baptist church and consider myself a partial Baptist, as some of my views are unorthodox. I believe in supernatural miracles and the gifts of the Holy Spirt such as supernatural healing and tongues. I realize these are controversial topics among Baptisits, but I love a good discussion. The belief that really matters though is I believe Jesus died on the cross as the perfect sacrifice necessary for my and everyone else's sins and rose again on the third day giving everyone who believes in him eternal life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome, and have fun.

3. Sandrat923

Sandrat923 New Member

Welcome. I came from a charismatic background (AOG, United Pentecostal, even COGIC), but have come to embrace Baptist doctrine which is Biblical. We have a God who can do as He pleases as far as enabling His children to do His will. But do individuals have these gifts today to do what THEY will?

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be wrong but it seems to me that there are two types of those who practise these "gifts",

1st is those who say they choose to decide when to use them.
    2nd is those who use them under a constraint.

The first i belive is a work of the flesh, the second, the work of an outside power,

5. Grace Renée

Grace Renée New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As far I have understood you, you came now finally to the only right correct doctrine? Doe's this mean "biblical" according to your understanding?

the bible itself warns us, that our knwowledge is incomplete! there is not one 100% right doctrine - believing this is rooted in pride for Paul sais: our understanding is only in part.
    1. Korinther 13:12-13 Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
    And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.

Secondly the bible knows 2 kinds of Christians: the spiritled and the fleshled (immature) ones. Both kind of Christians are operating in the gifts of the Spirit. The gifts are from God but their use might be corrupted according to the fleshly mindset of the Christian. there is a tendency according to a onesided doctrine of grace that Christians do not grow into maturity and instead of becoming more christcentered which means spiritual they walk in a fleshly immature state using/misusing spiritual gifts(serving themself instead of serving selflessly others). The correction does not start in condemning the gifts and stopping them, but to teach the Christians the right use of the gifts: we see how Paul handled the situation at Corinth: he encouraged the very fleshly oriented Christians the correct use of the gifts, but he encouraged them to grow in love to one another and motivated them to do things out of agape love and not out of fleshly selfseeking desire and he did not stop them to use the gifts. He focused on maturity: a christ-centered life spirit filled in serving one another in selfles love.

6. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the board.