1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Study Suggests Wearing Masks Could be Way to Herd Immunity

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you are right. Its well over 99% with the bogus numbers removed.

2. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are counting the people who had covid when they died in a car wreck or of cancer, or of heart disease.

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are still counting deaths that were not from COVID. They were with COVID. You are also assuming you know who really has had it. My doctor told me that he gas seen many asymptomatic people who antibody test said they did not develop antibodies. Either Covid yest was wrong or....

4. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, but you can't see the Tree for the Forest ... an infection fatality rate of 0.63% to 0.65% is LESS THAN 1%, so the recovery rate must be greater than 99% (which is what Revmitchell claimed).

5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I 100% agree. I have never suggested anything different. I think .63% is high. I think its about .33%.

6. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If true, then, by all means, our at-risk citizens should wear masks. Those with no mortality risk (much lower than the flu and other infectious diseases), should be free to ditch them.

7. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The numbers do not support a claim of "much lower than the flu". A bad Flu season might have 10 death per 100,000 infections and the latest data on COVID places it at 65 deaths per 100,000 infections. Even if HALF of those people ultimately died of Covid and something else, 30/100,000 places the death rate far above even a bad flu season and very far above the 1 death per 100,000 infections of a typical flu season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Ditching" the mask by low-risk citizens (or all citizens) would lead to people with more serious infections than asymptomatic. Rather than blithely going about their business wearing a mask and being infected but not knowing it, getting infected while not wearing a mask leads to a more serious, overt infection with symptoms. This means isolation and self-quarantine for 14 days. The shutdown would continue for these people. Whereas, simply wearing a mask could keep these people asymptomatic, and productive.

This study seems to show that universal mask wearing would get us back to full productive lives sooner than not wearing masks.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, but so what? They don't show symptoms and don't get hospitalized and they increase herd immunity. And without a lockdown, all the other problems go away.

Now keep in mind, media is pushing this because they think Trump's going to get a boost from the vaccine. So they're saying masks are the new vaccine and don't trust the vaccine.

If what you're saying is true (and my hunch is it isn't, but if it is) then the solution is right in front of you. Mask up those who are vulnerable so they don't get a lethal dose of the virus. Those not vulnerable, or who have already developed the antibodies are free to resume business and free to worship in churches with minimal risk.

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

And if you take the at-risk folks out and protect them specifically, it's astronomically low. The flu is more dangerous to kids.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see...

Wear a mask, get COVID, don't show any symptoms, continue as normal.
    Don't wear a mask, get COVID, get symptoms, self-quarantine for 14 days.

I wonder which strategy prolongs the economic pain?

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who runs and gets Covid tested every time they get a sniffle? Democrats!

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

You're confused about your own theory, but I'm looking at the claims of the article. I do understand the argument the article made. They believe it'll have a vaccine-effect without the vaccine. If they're right, masking the entire population is no longer necessary. If they want to achieve herd immunity, just mask those at risk. Let those not a risk get exposed naturally.

I feel the same way about the vaccine, BTW. Those vulnerable are the main priority. We don't need to vaccinate healthy children and adults, now that we know specifically who the risk groups are.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are seriously going to politicize an individuals choice to go to the doctor and get tested for Covid?

Also am wondering how you would know that Democrats get tested when they get the sniffles...

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I watched the Democrats around here line up at the Covid testing site. Most The Republicans laughed at them. It was running entertainment for several weeks sitting in hardware store and laughing at dems line up to get tested. We all sitting around chewing the fat with no masks and Dems only come out from under their rock to get tested. White Dems that is. Black Dems were life as normal just like us.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not my theory, it's the scientists theory.

No you don't.

No, they don't. They say it could act as a "poor man's vaccine" while we await a real vaccine.

Sure, and if they get COVID without wearing a mask, they could get a full-blown infection, show symptoms and be quarantined for 14 days. If they get COVID while wearing a mask, they might not get a full-blown infection, just a mild one, not show symptoms and continue on with their life without the need to quarantine.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Republicans laughing at science.

How odd.

18. Calminian

Site Supporter

I'm addressing the scientists theory. Yours is confused.

Many democrats including Harris, are saying they don't trust the vaccine.

And yes, the scientists is essentially saying it's a poor man's vaccine.

Which is why I think it should be for those at-risk of getting the full-blown infection. We know who these people are. The sickness is very mild for the rest. Kids are not developing full blown symptoms.

I really don't know why you're fighting this. It should be good news to you.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Laughing at stupid people who think they understand science.
    The Louvre has miles of Science books that have been proven false. In their day, you were considered an idiot if you disagreed with them.

#39 Reynolds, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Covid not being catastrophic does not fit his narrative he has so consistently held and cant cant bear to abandon and admit error.