1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New York City

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Nov 19, 2008.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Any suggestions for visiting New York City during the Christmas holidays -- places to stay, things to do, etc.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Personally, if I were going to NYC during the holidays, I would:

1. See a broadway show or three.
    2. See an off broadway show or three.
    3. See the David Letterman show.
    4. Go to Ellis Island.
    5. Ride the subway.

3. Enoch

Enoch New Member

1. Ground Zero - walk the perimeter visit the fire station that survived and is directly across the street (you are also very close to Wall St)
    2. Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty
    3. Empire State Building (get tickets ahead)
    4. Carriage ride through Central Park
    5. Time Square
    6. Rockefeller Center (you can also ice skate)
    7. Eat a bagel (they say it's the water that makes them so great)
    8. If you like soup visit the Soup Nazi aka the Soup Man
    http://www.originalsoupman.com/

Cabs are everywhere and the rates are low.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd try to do some of the biggies if you're only there for a day. Doing everything will be too much.

The Empire State Building is neat - although I've actually never been there though I live about 30 miles from there. LOL The tickets to the top are not cheap.

A definite is Rockefeller Center but understand that there is a HUGE mob in the area to get in so you'll be in a crowd that's hard to get through. But fortunately, it flows towards the tree and the skating rink so that will be good. We do that every year.

Go to Times Square just to go there. :)

If you have time to see a show, go to the discount ticket booth in Times Square. You can usually get a ticket for a show that day for deep discounts.

Get yourself a hot dog and hot nuts off a cart. They're REALLY good. NY pizza and bagels are the best. No question about it. We can usually eat just from that food when we go but we also will eat at some nice restaurants. "Virgils" is a really good BBQ place - 152 W 44th St. near Times Square (it's between 7th and AOA).

Enjoy yourself! I know the youth group is heading in on Saturday and my DH and oldest DD are supposed to go in then as well, IF my oldest can get off of work. We also will try to get in as a family at some point. The only additional places we go as a family are Toys R Us and FAO Schwartz because of the kiddies. :)

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Don't they have a new years day parade too? Or is that the Roses out in California?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's California. NY is too hung over from the New Year's Eve festivities to have a parade the next day. ;)

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

That's right, rockin' New Year's eve. Watch the ball drop.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Thanks. We'll only be a few blocks from Virgils, so we will definitely try it. I checked out their web site -- looks good. Any other restaurant recommendations? NYC dining is on the expensive side (especially for a family) so any more ideas would be appreciated. We'll be there for three and a half days, so trying to cram as much in as possible.

Question: I know about the same day tickets (similar to Vegas), but do they have good tickets??

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Thanks Deacon.

1. We plan on going to the park, but would love to take a carriage ride. Do you know anything about them??

2 & 3. Good ideas. I think it would be really cool to see the DSS. The MET is on the list.

4. I know we'll probably have to ride the subways -- not my favorite, but we'll probably visit the GSS just so the kids will see what it is like.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just e-mailed DH - the master of restaurants. LOL I'm sure he'll tell you to go to Little Italy for dessert and I remember him mentioning a great Chinese place in Chinatown. But I'll let you know what he says.

As for the tickets, we've never done them but I'm sure they have all of the areas that are available. You can usually see a map of the theater to see where the seats are so you can decide which ones you want to do. :)

12. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Thanks Enoch. I didn't know the soup nazi was a real place. I've been to Ground Zero, but I think it will be good for the kids to see it -- pretty moving.

13. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a life-long Upstate New Yorker, the only suggestion I would have for you is.... RUN!!

I have been to the Big Apple on numerous occasions - most of the under duress. What I like most about NYC is the many, many roads that lead away from there. I'm fond of quiet, a few people and no traffic. None of these things exist in NYC.

I'll just wait for the pond to freeze over to go skating, listen to the geese announce their flight or ride with my Amish neighbors in their horse-drawn wagon.

14. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Really?? I love New York (except for the stinking Jets of course). It's just I've always been there on business. This is my first time with the family and the first at Christmastime.

15. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Saggy, I like your "or three" ideas. But only if we can find some great deals. Letterman has always been hit or miss with me -- and probably not age appropriate. We do plan to go to Ellis Island though.

16. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

THANKS!! I appreciate it. As a mom, you know how expensive eating out is. (And I'm not expensing this trip.)

Plus we'd much rather hit really good local spots, not chains (ugh!).

17. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Gotta agree with you. I've been to NYC once in the middle 80's.
    I enjoyed the ride out of the city ................ even if it was to NJ. :eek:

Never been upstate unless riding thorugh on our way to Niagra falls counts.

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why folks from NYC always seem so angry. The light at the end of their tunnel is Secaucus...... :wavey:

19. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Activities that we did with little ones as well as the others I mentioned are as follows:

1. Carousel Ride in Central Park
    http://www.centralpark.com/pages/attractions/carousel.html
    2. Ferris wheel in the Toys R Us Time Square
    http://www1.toysrus.com/TimesSquare/dsp_home.cfm
    3. American Girl store on 5th Ave
    http://www.americangirl.com/stores/location_ny.php
    4. A photo with a Policeman and his horse
    5. And be on the lookout for the cash cab (Discovery Channel)
    http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/cashcab/cashcab.html
    6. There is a great inexpensive restaurant right by the Empire State building, although I cannot remember the name, it some sort of Mexi Fresh place and organic
    7. As for lodging it's fun to stay near Time Square

20. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

At Christmas time I would recommend Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas show. Rockefeller Center is fun to walk around, it will be crowded but worth it.

If you enjoy museums then Museum of Natural History it fantastic, but that is a day all to itself.

If you have kids, ( or have a little bit of kid inside you) they probably would enjoy visiting FAO Schwarz (famous toy store).

Times Square, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, and a carriage ride through the park are all things most people want to experience if they can while in NY.

If you have the time and want a great value, the Staten Island Ferry is a lot of fun, and you will get a great view of the city from the water, it will ride to Staten Island and back.

A few things I would make sure to try to experience NY are the following. A slice or real pizza (just plain cheese), a knish (put mustard on it), and a soft pretzel.

If you have the time and money a Broadway Play is a treat.

If you enjoy quality Italian food, a trip to Little Italy for dinner is a good choice.