1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News from Paradise, CA

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Squire Robertsson, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got this in from Hamilton Square Baptist Church in San Francisco:

Paradise Church Fire

Dear Pastor Friends,

Many of you have expressed interest in churches affected by the California wildfires.

I was able to talk with 2 GARB pastors who tell me that Baptist Builders is collecting funds to help. I talked on the phone with the pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Paradise, who is prepping for a meeting with church leaders on Friday. Unfortunately, an influential church member there has contacted all of the members (without the pastor’s consent) and advised everyone that the church should close down and disburse the insurance and other funds to the members who lost their homes in the fire.

Naturally, the pastor and his wife are somewhat overwhelmed and have not taken me up on a meeting. He let me pray with him. His desire is to rebuild (both the church and his home that were destroyed). The pastor tells me that they had good insurance. He seems like a good brother. Pastor Innes and I advised him to contact CLA for legal advice to prepare for Friday’s meeting.

I think they plan to meet in a church member’s home in Chico that was spared from the fires for services on Sunday.

Obviously, this is a high emotion situation. This pastor will need wisdom and an amazing filling of the Holy Spirit to navigate his congregation through this difficulty. Many of the people have lost their homes. It is my understanding that the town is 90% destroyed, that at least 48 people have lost their lives, and that more than 100 people are still missing. The mews says that the fires are 35% contained, and are obviously still doing damage. The area is quarantined. I have not personally ben able to view the situation from the ground.

If you need more information, please contact me and I will tell you what I am able to say. As you know, this is a local church matter, but as brothers in Christ, we desire to help if we are able. Right now the greatest thing we can do is pray for God’s will to be done and His glory to be seen through the flames of affliction.

Touching the Future with Truth from the Past,

Pastor Dan Pelletier

Associate Pastor

#1 Squire Robertsson, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll post more info as I get it. If you want to contact Pastor Pelletier, PM me and I give you his email address.

#2 Squire Robertsson, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be illegal. The proceeds from any not-for-profit organization cannot inure to an private individual. The insurance funds can only be used to reconstruct the damaged property or be donated to another not-for-profit organization.

Perhaps someone should inform the deacon he is soliciting the commission of a felony, which is itself, a crime.

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's what will be made known at tomorrow night's meeting, From what I am told, these folks are still operating in panic mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for informing us of the situation, we will pray.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to give our English members an idea of distances here in California. According to Google Earth Paradise is 170.4 miles or 280.8 Kilometers (if you voted against Brexit) north from San Francisco. That same distance from London due north would put you somewhere north of York.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This just came from the leader of the CARBC regarding CALVARY Baptist Church in Paradise:
    ———-
    November 15, 2018

Dear CARBC Family,

Since the beginning of the Camp Fire and its devastation to Calvary Baptist Church of Paradise (the church buildings were destroyed) and the homes of the church family (many lost their homes), the CARBC Council and I have been considering how to help the church and their pastor, Gerry Zordel. Many of you have contacted us about what would be an appropriate response in this unusual situation of an entire city burnt out. We know that the rebuilding of structures will take time and the processes for that are in place. We also know that there are immediate needs and we have reached out to the church with $1500 from the CARBC Benevolence Fund. Pastor Zordel (who is uncertain about the fate of his home in Magalia) has agreed to distribute these funds to his church family as he becomes aware of needs. His response was, “That is our primary need and perfect response to our situation. Please share my relief and appreciation to the men.”

Since many of you have asked how you can help the church, I am sharing this with you. If you would like to contribute to the CARBC Benevolence Fund, please send your gift to CARBC, P.O. Box 2697, Santa Maria, CA 93457-2697, and mark the check “Benevolence Fund.”

Please pray for the church as they meet on Sunday in Chico. Another prayer request relates to one church member who is still missing. The needs are varied and great, but our God is sovereign and faithful.

Called to California,

Bruce McLain

#7 Squire Robertsson, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  8. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, bro, we do use miles here. We are only about 50 miles from Calais, including the Channel. and my wife and I try to get a day crossing once a month, although we haven't managed that for a couple of months. When we are there we use Kilometres, but the sat nav supplies those for us automatically.

To get back to the subject. We were and are horrified by the news we hear frpom Paradise, And we will ppray for the church there.