1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Next Pastor at Bellevue

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 3, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

With Adrian Rogers retiring....who is going to be the next pastor of his church?

I have heard that it is basically between 2 men: Steve Gaines and Ronnie Floyd. Anyone else hearing anything....

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

"Hear--say" says that Gaines has withdrawn his name from consideration---First of Gardendale, AL has just entered a multi--multi million dollar construction project----Gaines stands to fair off better staying at Gardendale---perhaps more potential than Bellvue----but who knows???

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Maybe the three of us should send resumes...

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

USN2, I vote for you as the next pastor [​IMG]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will they accept NON-SBC candidates? [​IMG]

6. ichthys

ichthys Member

How about future graduates? ;)

7. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

I am a member of Bellevue and I can assure all of you that the ONLY people who have any idea who they are looking at is the search committee themselves. They're not even discussing it with their spouses. So I wouldn't put too much faith in the rumor mill. Whatever you hear is just someone's guesses and not based on any 'real' news.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's good because there have been plenty of dishonest things happen in some of those larger churches. For example it is well known among the seminary students and many of the church community nearby that at one of one of the larger churches in the SBC the search comittee was considering a man and one of the leaders in the SBC lied about the man the search committee was considering. They listen and excluded the man from further consideration.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

gb---that happens all the time! I know for a fact that there was a fella who was sending out his credentials to various churches---and a rather large church called him as pastor!

Well---things were going along too good---sheep were moving from one flock to this flock---typical---but it was going all too well----so well, in fact---that the Search Committee chairman decides he would write a "Thank You!" note to all of this new pastor's references---"PLUS"(get this) the name of the pastor who recommended this fella and who included a "Cover Letter" for this new pastor's credentials and sent it to the prospective church---the letters were to thank them for their good recommendation!

The pastor who wrote the "Letter of Recommendation" for the credential sheets was a fella that----just his name on a piece of paper on some guys credential list---caused the committee's heads to turn toward this new pastor!!! Turns out---turns out---turns oooooooutttttt---the chairman writes the letter---sends this pastor a thank you note!!

Here's the spooky part---the pastor---who initially had his name on a Recommendation Letter covering this guys credentials-------did not even KNOW the pastor he was accused of recommending!!

He fires off a letter to the Search chairman---telling him----"I don't even know this man you say that I know!! I did NOT write a letter of recommendation for your new pastor!"

Guess what??? They caught the new pastor in a self made lie!!!! They reported it to the elders of the church----and the new pastor got his "Walkin' Papers!!"

Its a shame what pastor will "cheat" to get himself into a good church---and its a shame what search committee will "cheat" to get "Their" man into the pulpit!!

Dandrasdad----as you know---those of us on the thread are playin' what is called "Wishful Thinking"---including our famous Dr. Bob who---if he wasn't an IFBer---he'd be a good SBCer!!! Relax!!! None of us will be called to interview with your search committee---believe me!!!

Blackbird

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Blackbird, quit raining on my parade...I'm still holding out hope! [​IMG]

11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, a pastor shouldn't be searching for a "BETTER" CHURCH...He himself could make his current church bigger and better if he applies himself diligently, prays for the HOLY SPIRIT'S help...AND IF IT'S GOD'S WILL!

God, and pastors make churches...churches do NOT make pastors!

12. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

danrusdad,
    My husband and I were in attendance on Dr. Rogers last Sunday and also stayed for the evening service. Bellevue is a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live, but I go about every 2 months. It is such a treat.
    About the new pastor. When we were standing in line to go into the sanctuary Sun. night, we meet a couple that are members. He is a deacon. My husband asked if they were any closer to knowing who the new pastor was to be, and he said the same thing you stated above. He said what goes on in the search committee meetings, stays in there.
    I went to lunch with a friend this Tues. She said she had heard who the pastor was going to be, in fact she had heard it in our church. I told her what the deacon had told us. I said it sure seemed strange that the deacons and members don't even know yet. I'm sure there all sorts of rumors going around.
    We pray daily for Bellevue and for Dr. Rogers.
    You are a very blessed church!

13. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

This is fairly common with search committees in churches of all sizes...same thing going on in our local association with churches that are currently in "pastor search" mode. It's a difficult time, to be sure.

14. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Adrian Rogers was my favorite preacher. I'm sorry to see that he's retiring.