1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nine-Eleven .....

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by wpe3bql, May 25, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

.....238 years ago [1777].

For those of you who are interested in our War for Independence, I've come across a recent [(c) 2014] book by Michael C. Harris entitled Brandywine: A Military History of the Battle that Lost Philadelphia but Saved America, September 11, 1777.

Having been born in the SE PA area, I'm interested in just about anything of that era of our nation's history.

Harris's book ( ISBN 978-1-61121-162-7 ) seems to be a rather objective work that draws heavily on authentic primary sources. His analyses appears not to favor either side in particular, but, of course, any historical writing will still reflect its author's own biases to some extent.

It's heavily-documented with extensive footnotes and bibliography as well as a 15-page index that includes everything from "Abercrombie" to "Yorktown." Illustrations, maps and short biographies are included throughout the text.

The publisher, Savas Beatie, suggests a retail price of $34.95, but I got my copy for free as a result of re-joining the History Book Club.

2. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

I'm bumping this OP to see if anyone out there has anything they care to post about it.

BTW, I'm just about finished with the text of the book.

A real nail-biter to me!

(Not sure if the History Channel would ever be so daring to devote a documentary on it.)

BTW, Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square PA) is not too far from Brandywine. The AAA ranks it as one of their "Gem Attractions." This was once an estate of one of the DuPonts until the middle 1950's. If anyone is interested in outdoor gardens with beautiful fountains and (on occasion) live orchestral music performances for less than $20/person (youth + sr citizen discounts) a phone call to 800-737-5500 may give you some more info about this place.