1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NKJV question.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Brother James, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Click here: Hell or Hades </font>[/QUOTE]The Greek says HADES. End of argument.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting position. Are you endorsing the use of transliteration in place of translation?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With a little research one could probably find the address of the NKJV Translation Committee, board or whatever they have called themselves and write to them and ask.

HankD

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The opening paragraphs destroyed all credibility - there was no need to read any more. Anytime an artivle begins by talking about the KJB rather than the KJV it is quite obvious what is coming...

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Sometimes, that's a good idea, especially in areas where people already have preconceived notions about the English translation of a word. There are several that many literal translations will transliterate, just as there are some Hebrew words that are transliterated into the Greek.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hades/Sheol is not Hell. They are what the OT Jews refer to as the place/state where souls of the dead resided (Sheol being the Hebrew word, and Hades being the Greek word). The KJV does not make a distinction between the Christian concept of Hell, and Sheol, as we understand them today.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Last warning folks - the topic here is NOT Askjo's links (which in themselves were off topic), but the hades/sheol/hell debate.

Only a few of the posts have suited to topic. Please heed the counsel of those posters who want to see this thread remain open.

8. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Excellent point Roby! These places are not all the same and since we don't have any suitable English translational choices we use the original term and transliterate.I would also agree that it was probably translators preference whether to use hell/hades.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW, the Hebrew word sheol usually translates to the Grk. hades in the LXX and inferno in the Vulgate.

Including the OT quote in Acts 2:27

Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (hades), neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (sheol); neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Though I found one instance where sheol translated to "death" LXX Grk. thanatos.

HankD

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting position. Are you endorsing the use of transliteration in place of translation? </font>[/QUOTE]It's quite apparent that in modern usage we equate hell with gehenna, the final abode of the wicked. Hades is not gehenna, and tartarus is neither. When the Greek says hades, it's not referring to the other two places. Until someone coins an acceptable English word for hades, why not just leave it as hades?

11. Orvie

Orvie New Member

off topic post deleted

[ January 23, 2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was that a "Yes, I am endorsing the use of transliteration in place of translation?" Or a "No, I am not endorsing the use of transliteration in place of translation?"

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Often translation is best, but in the case of multiple original-language words being translated as a single English word (hell, love, etc.) I think transliteration is more accurate than translation.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting position. Are you endorsing the use of transliteration in place of translation? </font>[/QUOTE]Why wouldn't that be favored? Especially when dealing with things like places where the Bible makes distinctions but translation does not. If people can understand the words and their implications then transliteration seems like a reasonable choice.

15. Orvie

Orvie New Member

C4K, U R no fun.
    C= Closer
    4= for
    K= Killer of threads [​IMG]

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Off topic post deleted

[ January 24, 2006, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

17. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

C4K,

I was nto able to read the off topic posts, but I wish to commend you. I think your decision to delete those who disobey your request is much better than closing a topic in which many are trying to have a decent discussion. I am not commenting on what they saud, because I have no clue. I am only complimenting the decision to delete, rather than close a good thread.

I concur with those here, if there is no adequate word in the new language, transliteration is the only way to ensure accuracy.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

Nowadays professional translators are very cautious when it comes to transliteration.
    There is a very simple reason for that.
    When you transliterate a word you in effect introduce a new word into a language and that word doesn't have a meaning yet in that language.
    Before you know it, that word will have a meaning and it won't be the meaning you had in mind.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

After some draconian measures to try and salvage this forum, I am trying now to allow a bit more liberty. I will attempt to keep threads alive, but any posts that do not fit the topic it hand, attempt to take the thread off topic, or make personal references will be deleted. This will apply to all posters, without regard to their views on the issues. We must stay on topic and refrain from personal comments and any remakrs that may be regarded as inflammatory.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic [​IMG] .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.