1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NLT Commentary

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by LOJAC™, Dec 7, 2023.

1. LOJAC™

LOJAC™ New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read that Matthew Henry has an updated commentary based on modern english language. I have also seen where the NIV has a commentary available. Are there any other good commentaries based on modern english and/or the NLT?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. ;)

My favorite set is probably the New American Commentary.

BUT I have found that the best way to build a commentary set is to get the best out of each set.

For example, The NAC has Block (Judges & Ruth), Mounce (Romans), Allen (Hebrews), and Schriner (1,2 Peter and Jude). The New International Commentary on the NT has Morris (John), Moo (Romans), Fee (1 Corinthians). I had to get Romans in both....but I think the NIC (Douglass Moo) is my preference. Morris is definitely my preference on John.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Cornerstone Biblical Commentary uses the New Living Translation.
    The 20 volume set was completed in 2016.

I agree with JonC about collecting "THE BEST OF" multiple commentaries.
    By concentrating your attention on only the volumes you use, you will save a ton of money.
    When purchasing an entire series you will find that you really only delve deeply into a very few volumes.

I personally am partial to the New International Commentaries Series.
    It's quite readable.
    It references a large number of translations.
    When discussing various Hebrew and Greek words in a text, they are transliterated.
    The series is reviewed and updated when to keep it updated to contemporary scholarship.
    The downside is the series is rather pricey.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Available online, the NET Bible has great notes, particularly addressing challenging interpretation and its variant text adoption basis.