1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NLT translation updates

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Just_Ahead, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am beginning to listen to some of your favorable comments here on Baptist Board about the New Living Translation (NLT).

I visited the Tyndale House website and read through some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAG) about the NLT. The FAQ 2015 New Living Translation Updates caught my eye.

This FAQ lists the following NLT translation updates (copyright dates): 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015. It also lists the "editorial mark up changes" between the NLT 2013 and NLT 2015. There are not many, and most are in verses of the New Testament. I must say that I like the 2015 updates. You can see the 2013 --> 2015 updates at the link above.

However, finding a NLT 2015 Bible is not all that easy.

For sure, the electronic Bible databases were the first to receive the NLT 2015 updates, as shown by the NLT version available on Bible Gateway is 2015.

I did manage to find a few NLT 2015 Bibles available at the Tyndale House online store, as well as ChristianBooks. But the majority of the NLT Bibles in online inventory appear to go back to the NLT 2004, 2007, or 2013 updates.

I hope to make a purchase of a NLT 2015 Bible in the near future. However, at this time, I am unsure if my new NLT 2015 will find a home on my Bibles Favorite book shelf, which is close to my study desk, or will go to the storage bookshelves in the basement.

#1 Just_Ahead, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fantastic! One of the things that "caught my eye" (regarding the New Living Translation) is the fact that prominent pastors are now using it as their "primary" Bible translation (at least in regard to their teaching and preaching).

For example: Chuck Swindoll made the switch from the New American Standard Bible to the NLT several years ago. Wow!

Greg Laurie made the switch from the New King James Version of the Bible to the NLT a while back, as well. Wow, again!

And Pastor Rick Warren made the transition from the New International Version of the Bible to the NLT, also. That's three already!

And let's face it: Swindoll, Laurie, and Warren are all influential conservative Evangelical preachers and pastor/teachers.

And in the case of Greg Laurie and Rick Warren, at least, we're talking about pastors ordained by the Southern Baptist Church.

(Just a few random thoughts as to why I don't hesitate to use the New Living Translation.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, those Pastors may have been paid to endorse the New Living Translation. Just like athletes are paid to endorse certain products. "Christian" advertising.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, how much would I have to pay you to switch bible versions?

And you think a respected Bible preacher would switch for money?

The NLT is a Bible that communicates the message of the Bible clearly, which is why these great modern evangelists use it as they preach.

The commentary series CORNERSTONE BIBLICAL COMMENTARY by Tyndale publishers, uses the NLT as its primary reference text.

Rob

#4 Deacon, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad, but true. Enough said. (But I still like the NLT. And it is somewhat reassuring to me that it's gained widespread acceptance within the Evangelical Christian community, you know?) ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a bad translation, but would still not use it as primary one, as still prefer a more formal translation , such as nas and the nkjv

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears to be trending the same way that the 1984 Niv once did among our crowd, so if it can replace that 2011 Niv....

• Like Like x 2
  8. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the NLT!

• Like Like x 1
  9. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I agree. Better to use the NLT, rather than the NIV 2011! (You've persuaded me on this issue.)

10. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NIV is my favorite, but I like the NLT a lot. What did he say that convinced you that the NLT is better to use than the NIV. I didn't glean that from his post. But as far as I can tell, the NLT is the second largest selling Bible translation in the world. (Not just English translation.)

11. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I'm right there with you.