1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NLTse Discover God Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by webdog, Oct 18, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody?!?

You know, if you guys make me go out and buy this...you guys will have to answer for my to my wife! :D

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Webdog,

To be honest, I saw it in the bookstore but when I noticed that it was edited or something like Bill Bright, I didn't bother thumbing through it, for I don't consider Bill Bright a scholarship guy. That's my take. :thumbs:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Elaborate, if you will...
    I'm not too familiar with who Bill Bright is.

From a quick google, I see he has 5 doctorates. Why would you consider him not to be a "scholarship guy"?

#4 webdog, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. To begin with, I haven't seen anything scholarly in print by Bright. Then, in all my reading of such material, I have never once seen anyone referenced him.

2. I know of his outstanding work with Crusade for Christ, but outside of that, not much.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The one at the book store was shrink wrapped so I couldn't see past the last cover :mad:

The only thing I saw was a single quote on the back by him along the lines of man's problems stem from their understanding of God, or something along those lines.

Did you get to look in it at all? Foreward?

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Sorry, I didn't.

8. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing I have heard is what was posted on a blog that I visit quite often. It is a quote from a representative at Tyndale:
    Laura also mentioned the new Discover God Study Bible:
    Our big new deal in NLT Bibles right now is the Discover God Study Bible. The premise is that it’s the only study Bible in which the notes all focus on the person of God, what he has revealed to us about himself in the Bible, and how we can be in relationship with him. It’s not primarily for new believers, which the title can imply. Most of the notes are from Bill Bright’s ministry. It has an innovative topic system that some people are calling the “Thompson Chain of the 21st Century.
    Quoted from: http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/thislamp/files/tag-nlt.html

I have quickly browsed through this study bible and while it looked interesting, it certainly didn't live up to the statement, "the 'Thompson Chain of the 21st Century'".

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I just discovered that they were all honorary doctorates.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not doubting this...but do you have a link?

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here's a link: http://http://www.fuller.edu/news/html/bill_bright_focus_article.asp

"In addition to his five honorary doctorates and numerous awards, Bill Bright was the recipient of the $1.1 million Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion in 1996 and the Gold Medallion Lifetime Achievement Award from the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. Among his many books are: Come Help Change the World; The Holy Spirit; A Man Without Equal; The Coming Revival; and Living Supernaturally in Christ."

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I needed a NLTse, so I broke down and bought it. It should be arriving soon, so I will let you all know what I think of the study notes after a while.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yeah, let me know. :thumbs:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I know there's now a new commentary series called the Cornerstone Commentaries based on the NLTse. Guys like Dr. Darrell Bock of DTS and Dr. William Larkin are contributors.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Did not! You just like to buy Bibles. (Like me, oops). :laugh:

16. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hey!! you said if we joined the group, you wouldn't tell!!

okok...

Hello, my name is Jamie and I like to buy Bibles.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh:
    Since my last post in this thread I've already found another Bible to buy!

Somebody stop me!

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which one did you buy Amy ? Was it a NLTse or somthing else ?

I buy inexpensive Bibles quite often -- $1.00 -$1.50 or so . But they primarily have just the New Testament and maybe Psalms and Proverbs tacked on . I give them away . I buy ESV's , NASBU's and NLT's ordinarily .

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The one I'm looking at (haven't bought it yet) is the Sword Bible that was being discussed in another thread. I checked it out at CBD and it's called a KJVER (easy reader). I don't like the archaic language of the KJV, that's why I don't use one.

I also give my Bibles away. I have purchased so many, but God has found a home for them. I love Bibles!

I have an NLT, NKJV, Amplified, NASB, NIV, but no KJV (except for a little NT I've had since I was 7)

#19 Amy.G, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll have to check out that KJVER . I had not heard of that one before .

You'll have to get a HCSB . They are in the process of phasing out the H . And soon an updated edition will come off the prresses . An updated TNIV ( which I have had a hand in ) will be ready next year sometime .

Get a Revised English Bible . It's been a neglected gem . It's not written in conversational English -- it's in a more proper form -- yet functionally equivalent .

Get a Modern Language Bible . The language is not so modern though ( ironically ) . It was poised to be what the NIV came to be -- the most dominant English Bible of the last 30=odd years .