1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Case for Obstruction of Justice

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 17, 2017.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Experts: No Case Against Trump - Breitbart

While the GOP establishment, Democrats, and media have the knives out for President Donald Trump after his firing of ex-FBI Director James Comey—and the subsequent leaks from Comey associates portraying alleged conversations between the two—legal experts are skeptical that there is any case to be made for an “obstruction of justice.” Professor emeritus at Harvard Law School Alan Dershowitz writes in the New York Daily News that “on balance, the obstruction case against President Trump is not strong, as a matter of law”:

Section 1510 of Title 18 of the United States Code addresses obstruction of criminal investigations. It is a narrow statute, criminalizing only willful acts “by means of bribery” that have the effect of obstructing the communication of information about crimes to federal investigators. Even assuming Mr. Comey’s memo is accurate, there is no indication that President Trump willfully attempted to bribe the F.B.I. director. As the Supreme Court stated in United States v. Sun-Diamond Growers of California, “for bribery there must be a quid pro quo — a specific intent to give or receive something of value in exchange for an official act.”

There is no evidence of a quid pro quo.

But even if one adopted an unprecedentedly broad conception of bribery, Mr. Trump’s purported statement still would not violate Section 1510. The statute is designed to preserve the free flow of information, prohibiting only acts that obstruct investigators’ access to information. Bribery of a potential witness, for example, is behavior prohibited by Section 1510. But telling the F.B.I. director that someone is a “good guy” and expressing the hope that an investigation will cease does not obstruct the free flow of information.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lady doth protest too much.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comey Under Oath: 'Have Not Experienced Any Requests to Stop FBI Investigations' - Breitbart

“So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?” Hirono asked.

“In theory yes,” Comey answered.

“Has it happened? Hirono asked.

“Not in my experience,” Comey responded. “Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that — without an appropriate purpose.”

“I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don’t see a case there, and so you ought to stop investing resources in it,” Comey said. “But I’m talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal.

“It’s not happened in my experience,” Comey said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, lets not listen to testimony given under oath. Lets use anonymous leaked memos and take them for gospel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “There has been no effort to impede the investigation, to date,”

replied acting FBI director Andrew McCabe.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait, wait, wait!!!!!!!! You just quoted a known source who was willing to go public. Only Mr Anonymous and Mr Cconfidential are allowed to participate in this witch hunt.

• Like Like x 1