1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Choice

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Mar 1, 2009.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course you like quotes from your own camp. So what if John Dagg believes the way you do? Who is he? An apostle?

There is one line of truth in his statement, and only one. "It has always been found that men will not come to Christ for life." This is why God must seek man. The Father draws, the Spirit convicts, man must choose, Jesus saves!

:jesus:

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Then answer the question: Why do some choose salvation and others reject salvation?

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why did Adam and Eve choose death? Did God also cause them to choose death like you believe God causes the dead to choose life today?

4. OldRegular

Eve yielded to temptation. Adam chose death. Neither chose life instead they hid from God.

You appear to be totally ignorant of what I have said on this post. I have never said that God caused the dead to choose life. That is the point of the doctrine of election. Those who are spiritually dead cannot choose life. God must make those who are spiritually dead spiritually alive and then give them the gift of faith to believe. That truth is clearly taught in Ephesians 2:1-8 except for those who refuse to see.

1. And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    2. in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

6. and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus,
    7. in order that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    8. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

Please read the passage, particularly verses 4 and 5. It states that when we were dead in our transgressions God made us alive. There is absolutely no action indicated on man's part. In fact being spiritually dead he can do nothing. Then if you will read verse 8 you will see that God gives those He has made spiritually alive the gift of faith.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

That verse is speaking about the 'act of savlation' which is regeneration. It even says so - by grace you have been saved!

Nothing in the above even infrenences that God must give man faith, that is a theological presupposition added into THIS text.

#45 Allan, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Basically what I said. You did not answer the "why".

Adam and Eve were spiritually alive and did not choose life over death. So your argument of being spiritually dead negating choice fails. Even in a spiritually alive state they had choice and chose death.

You asked me before why anyone would reject the gospel, which is a presentation of life over death, as if that would be totally unheard of. Adam chose death, yet you still don't see the irony in your pov.

God created mankind giving them a choice, this is clear. I suspect it is because God wanted true loving followers instead of puppets. You see us as puppets. I do not.

You do say God gives us no choice. Yet we know God gave Adam and Eve a choice.

Ehpesians 2 is a favorite passage of mine. Sorry, it does not negate the choice that is taught throughout scripture.

7. BD17

BD17 New Member

Uh read verse 8. through faith you have been saved; and that not of yourselves it is the GIFT of God.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But this is a person's view, so I don't take it as scripture.

God does tell people to believe. Jesus said some people rejected the call. It is God who saves but man is still accountable. Both are true. I don't think the bible clearly states either way; and yet statements in the Bible lead to both views.

Btw, it's not anomaly. That just means a deviation from the norm. It's a word that has to do with opposites being true.
    I know paradox means that, but I'm pretty sure the word started with an "a." I'll have to ask.

9. OldRegular

Allan

You are incorrect as usual. This Scripture teaches, to all but those who fail to see, that God gives spiritual life to those who are spiritually dead and then gives the gift of faith through man is enabled to respond to the work of God in regeneration.

10. OldRegular

So you see no difference in being spiritually alive and being spiritually dead. Fortunately Scripture does:

1Corinthians 2:14. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The natural man is the man who is spiritually dead.

#50 OldRegular, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
  11. OldRegular

I don't take it as Scripture but I believe it reflects the teaching of Scripture.

There are Scripture that seem to indicate that salvation is the purview of man.However Scripture teaches the following about those who are spiritually dead, the unsaved man:

1Corinthians 2:14. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Even so I believe that man is held accountable.

#51 OldRegular, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
  12. Victorious

Victorious Member

So did God also seek the unbelieving Jews in the New Testament? (Romans 11) Have all men had the same opportunity to reject Him?

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rom 11:14If by any means I may provoke to emulation [them which are] my flesh, and might save some of them.

We know that not all people get a chance to reject Jesus in their natural lifespan here on earth. We do know that those who do get a chance and reject Jesus will be condemned to hell.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

And yet, we know that "...there salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven which has been given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12 EMTV)

So am I correct in assuming that you believe that those who never hear the name of Christ will be saved and enter heaven? If so, what would be the advantage of believing the gospel?

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, i do not believe those who never hear automatically get saved. And i do not believe those who never hear automatically do not get saved.

I know one thing as fact from the scriptures. Those who hear and reject will not be saved. Those who accept will be saved.

Act 4:12Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

If we go beyond what is written we enter into the realm of speculation. What about all those aborted babies? Even those who are miscarried or still born? What about the mentally handicapped?

Some will take the pov that God gives grace to the babies and the mentally challenged despite them never hearing the gospel praeched by men, but does not give grace to those adults who we failed to reach, even blaming us for their not having a chance to hear.

I do not put God in any box and I trust God to be Just. All who do enter must enter through Jesus Christ, to reject Jesus Christ is to be condemned to hell. There are not many ways to heaven, Jesus only, but I do not know how God has chosen to deal with babies and such, do they have a chance to hear in the spirit world? As far as I know, scripture only reveals to us how He deals with those who hear and understand His gospel on earth.

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

I do take the position of an age of accountability and God's grace through Jesus Christ for those who are disabled (you must enter the Kingdom as a child), but I also believe that those whose names have been written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world will be saved. God is sovereign and all whom the Father draws will come to Him.

I do respect your position of not knowing. There are many things we have yet to discover in Christ, but I cannot agree that there is any other way of salvation but through the gospel of Jesus Christ.

17. Victorious

Victorious Member

Awesome and right on.

18. Victorious

Victorious Member

Yes, elect according to the foreknowledge of God. Whom He foreknew... What does that mean to you? It does not mean that God looked ahead and saw what we would do and then chose us based upon our choice of Him. Our salvation is not dependent upon our own righteousness. That would make man responsible for saving himself!

Foreknowledge simply means God knew His elect from the foundation of the world because He created them for glory in Jesus Christ.

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

But what we do know is that "It is appointed unto man to die once, then the judgement." Hebrews 9:27

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why? What scripture causes you to believe this? I believe we are born sinners and thus need a Saviour from birth, even from conception.

Jesus said ALL men would be drawn. He said MANY are CALLED but FEW CHOSEN.

I believe I siad as much. No one comes to the Father except through Jesus Christ. Will all hear the gospel in some way other than through a preacher? I don't know, I heard of testimonies of Jesus Himself or angels of God appearing to men in remote countries of the world. Is it true? Not sure I want to be the one quenching the Holy Spirit.

I gotta go, I will get back to the foreknowledge question....