1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured No Open Air Preaching at BJU

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by evangelist6589, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard that BJU students and grad students are no longer allowed to do street evangelism. My friend said it's because they do not wish to be associated with KJVO baptists who are also down there ( I met some). Does anyone know when this policy changed and why?

Not everyone down there in Greenville is KJVO as I was formerly a member of a The Way of the Master evangelist church. Besides them lots of Reformed and Calvinists also are down there.

Is this kind of extreme? I mean the lost need the gospel and how can one obey Mark 16:15 without being allowed to preach the word? Not necessarily open air but to hand out tracts and talk with people at least.

Well I will be back visiting Greenville soon. Perhaps all the years after I left BJU being down in DT Greenville open air preaching and such I wonder if I may have influenced this policy change. I mean I am a former BJU student turned into a Way of the Master Calvinist evangelist!

#1 evangelist6589, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next: Repeal the prohibition of alcoholic lemonade.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it because your brain is so small you are incapable of a serious conversation?

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that must be it. <rolls eyes>

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

5. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can find nothing that says it has changed. But when I looked at BJU handbook and there was nothing in there about street preaching, either for or against. As far as outreach this page has many options, including going door to door. I just asked one of my friends who still has a brother at BJU and she says that street preaching is still allowed. As is handing out tracts on the street.

Given that Greenville is in the middle of the Bible Belt I think you could find any church to suit your fancy. And as far as BJU having a list of acceptable churches, that seems to be par for the course for Christian Colleges. The Bible School I went to had one, the Bible School my husband is looking at attending has one.

You have offered no proof that there is a rule against it. Seems you just have an ax to grind with your former school. You are creating a strawman here, as even your suppose rule change says nothing about handing out tracts or not being able to talk to people just for the sake of attacking BJU.

You certainly have a high opinion of yourself. It's been 8 years since you were there, so even if they did change the rule, which I doubt, it would not be because of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will refrain from making a comment about self-serving ones.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My friend who is a grad student there in ministry says street evangelism is no longer allowed.

8. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it should be no problem for him to provide documents of this supposed rule change. Until then I will go with what my friend told me and what I could find on their website.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He may have been misinformed or perhaps they have not updated the handbook.

10. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Than I would suggest until you have proof to back up the claim you don't post attacking BJU of not following the Great Commission, just because they don't do it Your Way.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction. My friend says BJU does allow street evangelism but has banned open air preaching.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish I could edit my OP or at least the title to say that BJU does not allow open air preaching.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF Open Air preaching is of the Lord, all would still be able to do that, as we obey God and not men, correct?

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus himself did open air preaching!

15. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that there is a difference between being outside talking to a crowd gathered, and yelling on a street corner at passer bys who will only hear 10 seconds or so of your point. If one person does stop and listen, you might as well just go talk to them one on one and work on making a disciple as commanded. Or ever better you could just see who you can start conversation with on the street.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter open preached, and 3000 were saved, but think that was much different than the on the corner person!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, anytime that we witness to others while outside , that qualifies, correct?

18. CertainSound

CertainSound New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the years I was there, late 70's-early 80's there was a lot of that done. I don't recall a single good response. There were a lot of people that looked at us like idiots. There were a lot of Christians that thought we were embarrassing casting our pearls before swine. Way more damage than good. We had more success giving out tracts and striking up conversations on the street. Does your hero, Ray Comfort do street preaching or just street evangelism?

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJU tweet about about its student body evangelizing all over Greenville this month:

Twitter

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought WOTM was a non-denominational evangelistic program (I did not know they are a denomination of evangelistic churches or that churches had formed an identity over the method). Do you have a link to The Way of the Master evangelistic church?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.