1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured No tongues? ...and amputees?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying in the Spirit yes! Praying in jibber jabber no one knows does nothing.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Experience, particularly power emotional experience, may be the DEAD LEVEL WORST way to come to believe something in all the universe.

You are deceived by your emotions.

Jeremiah said, "The heart is desperately wicked, DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS..."

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

and you? can someone take your experience of salvation away?

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well Paul says "praying in the spirit" is praying in tongues.

"For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful."
    "I will pray with my spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also"
    Two seperate ways of praying...with the spirit...with understanding.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read the verse you posted?

No where in that verse does it say that praying in tongues is praying in the spirit of God. Not one place. In fact it says what you are talking about is unfruitful.

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

I will repost this....all together..then maybe you can see it~

"For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful." (1 Corinthians 14:14)

Paul said that when we pray in tongues, it's our spirits which are praying (through the Holy Spirit), not our minds (because our minds are unfruitful while we pray with our spirits, Paul said). "Praying in tongues" and "praying with my spirit" and "praying in the Spirit" all mean the same thing.

The Amplified Version of the Bible is often a useful study tool because it brings out various shades of meaning that might otherwise be lost in the translation from Greek to English. Here is this same verse in the Amplified Version:

"For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays, but my mind is unproductive - bears no fruit and helps nobody." (1 Corinthians 14:14, AMP)

In other words, when we pray in tongues, the Holy Spirit is providing the words to our spirits which we then speak out of our mouths. This bypasses our minds, which is why Paul said that his mind was unproductive when he prayed with his spirit.

So one type of praying is done with the mind, and another type of praying is done with the spirit. In this verse, Paul specifically said that the way he prayed with his spirit was by praying in tongues in the Holy Spirit.

Notice that when we talk about prayer, we're talking about speaking to God. Therefore, in this verse Paul was referring to the private form of tongues (i.e. praying to God in the Holy Spirit, or "praying in the Spirit").

"So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind." (1 Corinthians 14:15)

Once again we can see two different types of praying: In the mind and in the spirit. Paul said that sometimes he prayed with his spirit (i.e. by the Holy Spirit), and sometimes he prayed with his mind. These are two different forms of praying. This is brought out more clearly in the Amplified Version:

"Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit - by the Holy Spirit that is within me; but I will also pray intelligently - with my mind and understanding" (1 Corinthians 14:15, AMP)

Paul said that he prayed in two different ways. Sometimes he prayed with his mind, and sometimes he prayed with his spirit. In the previous passage (1 Corinthians 14:14) that when Paul prayed with his spirit he was praying in tongues in the Holy Spirit. So "praying with my spirit" and "praying in the Spirit" and "praying in tongues" are simply different ways of saying the same thing.

Paul said that sometimes he sang with his spirit. In other words, he was singing out the spiritual words that the Holy Spirit was giving him. This might be what he was referring to when he said:

"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord" (Ephesians 5:19)

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." (Colossians 3:16)

Notice that Paul was speaking of prayer in this verse, so the private form of tongues is being referred to here.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no other passage in all of scripture to back you interpretation up.

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

Then you will have to take that up with Paul one day...because he called praying in the spirit..tongues:tongue3:

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No that is what you call it.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Find the word "experience" in the Bible, Awaken.

Find the impetus that you place on experience and feelings deep down inside of you in the Bible, Awaken.

Listen to this very carefully: I don't NEED an experience. Neither should ANY Christian.

God has revealed himself through the works of his hands, creation, providence and the Scriptures.

He never ever promised these experiences and feelings you put so much import on.

When God spoke in the Bible- he SPOKE. he literally made sound which could be measured in decible levels.

When he spoke to Elijah in the still small voice- this was not some internal voice within Elijah's heart. This was something that you could have picked up on a digital recorder.

There is absolutely NO reason to believe in this stuff that you hold in such high regard. NONE.

And if you are basing it on your own personal experience, then you are TERRIBLY deceived into putting such confidence in the wellspring of depravity that is the human heart.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

I explain this in the thread 1 Corinthians 12-14...
    I am having to repeat myself too much so I will not be posting in this thread anymore!

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

Funny thing...I never experienced anything until I read the word! But I did experience the touch of God on my life! Faith is believing before you see (or experience) anything in scriptures, because it is impossible to please Him without faith.

MAYBE....most are not experiencing the power of God in and through their lives because of unbelief!
    Last time I post in this thread...too much repeating from other threads!