1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

North Greenville University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by pickwick, Jun 21, 2006.

1. pickwick

pickwick New Member

Does anyone have an opinion about North Greenville University in Tigerville, South Carolina?

My youngest will be attending the university this fall. Everything we have heard so far has been very positive, and our visit to the campus was encouraging.

This is our baby girl. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pickwick

2. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    North Greenville

In the mid-1980s North Greenville College's enrollment hovered around 300 - 350. They were almost taken over by Furman University at that point. That would have been a tragedy.

Since taking over as president, Jimmy Epting has made remarkable, almost miraculous, improvements in the school. New buildings have been built, including more dorm space to accommodate the greater influx of students. Enrollment has now passed that of Anderson University and is around 1600. I believe the football team will be playing on its own field this fall.

North Greenville enjoys a reputation as a solidly-Christian and conservative Southern Baptist school. Its academic reputation has greatly improved. They have gone from college to university status. The school attracts a good number of out-of-state students; many come from Florida.

I endorse your selection of North Greenville. Had North Greenville been a 4-year institution when I graduated from high school in 1978, I would have gone there instead of Furman.

3. pickwick

pickwick New Member

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Pickwick

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Your daughter is going to a fine institution. It is academically sound and, unlike too many contemporary "Christian" colleges, holds a high view of Scripture. I think you will be pleased.

Blessings,
    Bill

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

It's Tygerville!

The only problem with your post is that you misspelled Tygerville. Yeah, I know that the PO spells it that-a-way but what do a bunch of outsiders know? The natives will mark you as an furriner fer sure. Take it from one who knows. It's Tygerville.:smilewinkgrin:

BTW, the other posters are right on about NGU--no need for my two cents.

6. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

My best friend attended NGC and graduated in '02. I believe he recieved a top notch undergrad education.