1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Not all Calvinists are the same

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was trying to be a good forum member, and not start a thread for something that's been covered already.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have offered your thoughts here RM and they are what they are.....you mention 4 people who you find to your liking.
    Speaking for myself......you do not like when you are answered directly so rather then respond in kind you seek to diminish those who respond to you directly as if that makes up for your lack of a biblical response.
    You think we are wrong???? Show it biblically if you believe you can. If you agree in part ,then show where you agree and where you do not. That is not too much to ask is it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rob
    Threads get repeated and reworded each day. If something is on your mind .....go for it!

4. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The crazy thing is the Arminians on this board (of course not all of them... I won't wrongly generalize) are guilty of the same complaints they are lodging. We're accused of being arrogant in our position while they are being arrogant in their position. I won't call any names but both camps know who I'm referring to. Check the last few theological discussions for yourself. Can both sides show more grace...of course. But there needs to be some plank removal before some sawdust inspection (Matt. 7:3-5).

#24 robustheologian, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rt

We all could do better in our interactions but I am in total agreement with the truth you just posted.
    No one posts what they believe is error. Why would any reasonable person do so?
    I for one do not mind some of the emotion or heat being generated even when I am on the side being attacked because it reveals much about the opposition.
    Is it bible based, or personal. Is it sicere, or agenda driven.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, would say to the posting itself, that there are what I would call calvinists like myself, who maintain the 5 points of the doctrines of grace, and yet there are also reformed calvinists, who would add to that the creeds/confessions, and the entire system of proper calvinism!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 5 points are a significant truncation of the Canons of Dort --to say the least. But even the Canons of Dort do not summarize Calvinism. A confession of Faith such as the 1689 or Westminister Confession of Faith try to make a broader sweep of many (not all) doctrines of the Bible. And as I demonstrated in a thread long ago --even Christians who do not call themselves Calvinists, agree with those two Confessions of Faith 75% of the time at minimum.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

RM is the epitome of representing what anti-cals behave like. :)

#28 Internet Theologian, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  9. Internet Theologian

strike-throughs mine :)

On mine as well. It didn't take long to find out he's a factious man, Titus 3:8ff.

#29 Internet Theologian, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  10. Internet Theologian

Wonderful! There should be ample evidence so provide the evidence! Don't skip this part, you've accused now give the evidence for each of us.

Awaiting the evidence. You've stated 'each one here' so it must be available.

When has a Calvinist on here claimed God opened your eyes, or perhaps you've misspoken? That said does not Scripture claim this; Matthew 11:25ff; Ephesians 1:18; Acts 26:18; 2 Cor. 4:6? It most certainly does. Yes, we believe. God opened our eyes (or the eyes of our heart) Acts 16:14. He does this in all of His elect.

Yes and Amen!!!! Is this a problem for you?

I'm certain this Calvinist has done so, having been on both sides. Perhaps you should discontinue concern for Calvinists, considering that they could be wrong, and take some time off yourself and do the same? An honest evaluation may lead you to plains of truth you've formerly ridiculed.

Yes, we are here to teach Biblical truth. Biblical truth is for the sheep, not goats and this Biblical truth is the Gospel.

#30 Internet Theologian, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went on that link that was given explaining different Calvinist and now I'm more confused when I came out, then when I went in... There was another link within this on where someone else had a chart that said... That in Hyper-Calvinism God is the author of sin!... Where is that in the bible?... I didn't know there were so many factions of Calvinist!... Brother Glen

12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, evidence for yourself came pretty easily. Found it right here in this very post...

When your born again brother, God has opened your eyes!

So did God open your eyes that Calvinism is the Gospel? Or did you come to this conclusion through personal human study of what has been written to all Christians? If it is the latter, then you could be wrong, seeing how we are just human. If it is the former, then you believe you have been given Divine revelation that Calvinism is the Gospel. But then remember, we have brother Browner in another thread claiming to have been given Divine revelation that practicing righteousness justifies a person unto eternal life. I also have a brother who believes he has been given Divine revelation that Millennial Exclusion is biblical.

13. Internet Theologian

In other words you have no evidence and merely, yet falsely, accuse. Gather up the evidence and substantiate your accusations.

Right, but your misnomer I quoted was intended to malign, not commend Calvinist brothers.

All truths that believers are led into are from God, 1 Cor. 2:14ff, Ephesians 1:9; 17ff; Acts 26:17ff; Acts 16:14; 2 Corinthians 4:6.

Is your study 'personal human study' or is that implication just for those you hold in contempt, i.e. Calvinist brothers?

It's haughty of you to make pretense that whatever truths the Calvinists hold to fall under your two indictments above. They do not.

Read the above passages for the answer to this. Personally no one taught me 'Calvinism' but having read the Word after hearing of the DoG I am convinced of their truths, by God, by His Word, by His spirit and Soli Deo Gloria. No books were sought, only Scripture. These truths are capable of being readily defended Biblically.

And then we have your beliefs that are amiss in many ways which you affirm as truth.

I believe you've been schooled on here often enough and it is noted by many. To date all you've offered are straw man arguments, ad hominem, and no solid biblical exegesis.

But back to my premise, provide this evidence that you've accused and have failed to supply. It is most unChristian of you to falsely accuse brothers on here, and to go on doing so without having provided a bit of evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lol. You just confirmed that you declare God taught you Calvinism. Which is the point you are contending I falsely accuse you of. Lol

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awhile back I started a thread "Cats who use the toilet" just to have an original topic. But it had been covered already. There are few new topics here...but there are plenty of new dialogues.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see this from every Calvinist here (in fact, I don't really see it in most Calvinists here). Some do seem to be indoctrinated and some appear to be here only to indoctrinate (to accept or offer a belief without question or consideration of other views). But this is not limited to Calvinists, either on the BB or outside in "real life." We (non-Calvinists) have done the same in our churches when we give our interpretation of Scripture as Scripture. The indoctrinated are biblically illiterate people who will fight hard for their view but be unable to objectively handle Scripture and alternate interpretations. In debate they will always end up attacking people. I see a few in both camps, and probably a little bit of this in all of us depending on the issue of discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Internet Theologian

I've not read Calvin, have you? I'm alluding to the biblical truths I hold which would fall under the 5 solas. The doctrines of election, foreknowledge, predestination, inability of man are all biblical and can be defended readily without consulting any other theologian.

But who indoctrinated you into your decisional, synergistic Finneyism? It's certainly not Biblical but you do assuredly hold to it. Your system is only a couple hundred years old, or so and you've been taught the system by men.

Last request: go gather the evidence of your false accusations or remain considered a teller of untruths.

#37 Internet Theologian, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You would have us believe that you studied the bible and came to the conclusion that there are these "5 solas" found in scripture before you ever heard of calvinism's TULIP?

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks like Steaver and I have been on this board for a long time. We have been in debate after debate with cals over the years. What you think you see in your relatively short time here is far different from what we see having been over this stuff time and time again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. I am asked to give evidence. And in that very request more evidence was provided.