1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not saved if you don't understand the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mapipe, Aug 31, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well put!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: For anyone who would make that statement needs to do exactly that! And be a student, not a teacher! :eek:

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yep!! And bring along a stopwatch, as well! 'Cause I promise and assure you, an hourglass or a sundial ain't gonna' do the trick! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Whaddaya' mean, an hour? :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

...the Arminiam???

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

An outstanding satirical statement! :thumbs:

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It's a 'her'.

Ed

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ok Ed;
    Free-Willer, ok teach?

I would like to know how you know he is a she?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Double post
    Ed

#28 EdSutton, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"The word is spelled 'Arminian', actually." Language Cop :D

Bob, I do apologize for part of this 'crack'. I thought you actually meant to say 'Arminianism'. Guess I was reading too fast, today, trying to catch up on about three days worth.
    Ed

#29 EdSutton, Aug 31, 2006
  10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

The vultures are at it again.:rolleyes:

In answer to the OP I have some questions and some possibilities for you.

First the questions.
    1. Did you ask your SS teacher what they meant?
    2. Did you ask your Pastor if this is what your church believes?
    3. Did you aks ANYBODY in your church about this before coming on here and opening this dear saint up to such unfounded ridicule?

Next, the possiblities;
    1. This person could be referring to this,
    1Co 2:14
    But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    2. This person could be repeating something THEY were taught without checking its veracity.
    3. This person could have been teaching something 'a child could understand' and was frustrated.
    4. You didn't give us enough information as to the context of the statement for us to give a sound and Biblical answer.
    5. You should have known that on the BB you would get a plethera of conflicting opinions along with a multitude of smart-aleck insults for your teacher.

I would suggest that you ask your SS teacher what was meant by the comment before bringing it here for the whole BB to pounced on this person.

I feel for her/him. Such unwaranted venom has been slung their way.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The poster said "she" and "her"! One time in post #1, and three times in post #9. I just now checked for count. :D

Ed

#31 EdSutton, Aug 31, 2006
  12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

That statement by your SS teacher may have come out a little harsher then she actually meant it to.
    We learn new things each time we go to God's Word.Christians find the Bible a Book that is alive with God's Word, it teaches,convicts,and gives them joy.To the unbeliever it is dry and hard to read.What makes it hard to read is that they don't believe to begin with, it is'nt the book for them.For the Christian though the Bible is alive and our reading and study is aided with the help of The Holy Spirit who is our teacher.

I know many on this board who are much better Bible students then I and I have read the Bible cover to cover over 100 times always learning new things.My brother-in-law makes fun of me for reading so many commentaries cover to cover.I like to read the old classics.One thing I do know it's what you learn after you know it all that really counts.

However it may be that Your SS teacher is that ONE individual who has a perfect understanding of the Bible and has a perfect understanding of theology.In that case please tell her we invite her to write a complete commentary so we may read and understand also.In addition if she would be so kind as to write a complete theology ,the calvinists/arminians/and in betweeners would all be grateful to her.:smilewinkgrin: I am sure your SS school teacher meant well.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

You got that right, I think understanding that is a sign of maturity.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I have been thinking about this thread.

It seems to me that the day I was saved is when I knew the least theology. I have learned more and more since that day (with a lot more to go). But to say knowlege is a measure of salvation does not hold up.

When I was saved I had only read ( or more accuratly, had read to me) a half dozen verses. I understood none of how it worked. I only believed that somehow, Jesus was the one who could save me.

15. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

I was actually wondering if anyone else had come across this type of thought and how it was presented. Our teacher was talking about how important it is to study God's Word. She then went on to say that if you can't understand the Bible then maybe you are not saved. She repeated this more than once. The meaning was quite clear. I will talk to her about it. I wanted to know if anyone else here on the board had the same background or belief in her statement--thinking maybe I was all wet--which would not be the first time!:confused:

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

yes, Ive heard it before. Basically it is in reference to the verse that av1611jim gave you about the Holy Spirit illuminating the Scriptures. I believe it is also meant as a challenge for people to ask the Holy Spirit to help them understand the Scriptures they are reading........and your SS teacher did say "maybe" in regards to the salvation issue.
    But I wouldn't question someone's salvation just because they don't understand a verse or a passage. None of us understands it all.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I've asked this question before. It is a one sentence question about salvation.

How would you answer this question and what would you tell me?

"What must I do to be saved?"

Anyone want to answer this?

Ed

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You want a C or an A answer, you must be more specific Ed. :)

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I want a Biblical Answer, and I care less whether it is perceived as Calvinistic or Arminian by you, me, or Joe Blow.
    "Just the facts, Ma'am!" as Joe Friday used to say. Is that 'specific enough, Bob?
    'This is not a trick question, folks. I do want you folks to answer. Anyone besides BroBob going to comment?

Ed

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

With man this is impossible. But with God, all things are possible.