1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not to offend anybody

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Bob Alkire, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

How far are we going?

http://us.mc839.mail.yahoo.com/mc/w...ae35f6e06b965dd86a57e71037af8&.jsrand=2682936

Mere mention of bookstore's name flagged as too 'offensive, sensitive'
    A bookstore in Kittanning, Pa., was told its advertisement in a local restaurant's holiday menu was rejected by the ad publisher, simply because the store had the word "Christian" in its name....That has been our policy not to offend anybody, because we certainly don't find anything about being a Christian offensive.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Bob, your link took me to my yahoo email account. ;)

BUT I did find lots of links to the story on Yahoo.

I guess the ad publisher as a private business does have the right to reject the ad with Christian in it's title. Although I'm sitting here trying to wonder what a Christian bookstore is to call itself otherwise. I don't think it's a very smart move however. I probably wouldn't go there to eat anymore if I lived there. Even though the restaurant owner said he didn't agree with the decision - I think it's time for him to find a new ad agency.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Sorry. Try this one.
    http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=210573

I know I'm not very smart but how did I get to your e mail account? I going to open up a detive business if I'm that good. Just have fun with you, have a great weekend and may you see all the blessing God is sending yoour way.
    Bob

#3 Bob Alkire, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

"We don't take religious advertising." Does that mean ALL religious advertising or just Christian advertising? Since it said that they don't take anything with the word "Christian" in it, I guess it's just Christianity they have a problem with and no other religion.

#4 Jon-Marc, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Read the story Jon. They were sued by a satanic group several years in the past for rejecting that group's ads. So now they have a wholesale rejection of any type of religious message. However, in this case the company stated that it was a mistake. Merely having the word "Christian" in the name of someone's store doesn't constitue religious advertising.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (when the link didn't work, it automatically shunted her to a Yahoo web site; and since she was most likely still logged into her Yahoo account, that's where it sent her. If it had been me, for example, it would have sent me to a Yahoo log on page)