1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not written in the Bible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ivienna, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ivienna

ivienna New Member

Why is it that God decided not to include so many things in the Bible? Like for example, it was mentioned in the Bible that some of the works of Jesus were no longer written.

2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Read John 21:25--it doesn't say that the works of Jesus were no longer written. It says:

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

It says "if they should be written" not that they were no longer written. God has His purpose for putting what He put in the Bible--it does not mean that we are to "add" to His Word or make "assumptions" about what we believe the Bible should say.

3. NateT

NateT Member

The "simple" answer is that what isn't written isn't necessary.

John states at the end of his gospel that if everything Jesus did was written down, there would not be enough space to hold the books. As a result, only a few things could be written.

Suffice it to say, that the Bible contains everything required for a person to be redeemed from hell and grow in their relationship with God.

Also, think about any book you've read, surely there was more that could be said on the subject matter, right? But if more was added to that book, you would be missing the main points the author was trying to impress on the readers. If God included everything about the life of Jesus, perhaps we would be overwhelmed. Just a theory

#3 NateT, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always wondered if John meant by all of the works of Christ, not only the 33 years He lived here, but from eternity. You would think that this world could hold 33 years worth of works, actually 3 if you count His public minstry.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

really? what about the seven thunders in the book of revelation? John was told not to write those down. and he didn't.

so theres things in the end times that we dont have a clue about. i think its all necessary. just not for us to know.

6. NateT

NateT Member

I thought it was obvious in the context that what I meant by it not being necessary is that it wasn't necessary...to write it down. Not that only those things which were not important were left out. After all, nobody but the Father knows the hour, since it is not necessary for us to know the hour, it's not written down.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

A red flag to watch for is when people or groups use this passage to justify something extra-biblical that is dubious or cannot be supported clearly in scripture. I see that happening a lot, even within the church.