1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Now We Know!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Sep 8, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Excerpt from "Special Report With Brit Hume," September 7, 2005, that has been edited for clarity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168799,00.html

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. PATRICK LEAHY (D), VERMONT: The press could get in and out of there, could bring in their TV trucks and everything else, why the hell couldn’t a truckload of water, a truckload of medicine, a busload of physicians, why couldn’t they get through?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BRIT HUME, HOST: An indignant Senator Leahy asking a question no doubt asked by many others. FOX News correspondent Major Garrett has been looking for answers to some of those questions. He joins me now.

Major, first of all, obviously, the focus of all of the attention has been FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency. What is FEMA?

MAJOR GARRETT, FOX NEWS CORRESPONDENT: The Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2,500 full-time employees, 4,000 standby employees. A mission statement very simple: Prepare, respond, help recover, reduce risk.

How does it do it? By coordinating with state and local entities and other groups, the Salvation Army, Red Cross, dedicated to helping the needy when disaster strikes.

HUME: So FEMA is relatively — it isn’t very labor intensive. It mostly works through other agencies?

GARRETT: It works through other agencies.

(snip)

HUME: Standing by, ready. Why didn’t FEMA send the Red Cross into New Orleans when we had all of those people there on that bridge overpass and elsewhere?

GARRETT: At the Superdome, at the convention center...

HUME: Lack of water, right. Why not?

GARRETT: First of all, no jurisdiction. FEMA works with the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and other organizations, but it has no direct control to order them to go one place or the other.

Secondarily, the Red Cross was ready. I just got off the phone with one of their officials. They had a vanguard, Brit, of trucks with water, food, hygiene equipment, all sorts of things ready to go, where? To the Superdome and the convention center.

Why weren’t they there? The Louisiana Department of Homeland Security told them they could not go.

HUME: Now, this is the Louisiana — this isn’t the Louisiana branch of the federal Homeland Security? This is...

GARRETT: The state’s own agency devoted to the state’s homeland security. They told them, "You cannot go there."

Why? The Red Cross tells me that state agency in Louisiana said, "Look, we do not want to create a magnet for more to come to the Superdome or the convention center. We want to get them out."

So at the same time local officials were screaming, "Where is the food? Where is the water?" The Red Cross was standing by ready. The Louisiana Department of Homeland Security said, "You can’t go."

2. freedom's cause

freedom's cause New Member

Thanks Old reg get the word out

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That's a very interesting story. Let's see how it holds up to the credibility tests before we take it as the absolute whole truth. I hope all these factors get investigated in the final review of what took place and what didn't.

4. OldRegular

Democrats, and some former government engineers, blamed President Bush for cutting the budget for the Army Corps of Engineers , claiming the cuts left New Orleans unprepared for a major storm.

But The Washington Post reports the Bush administration has granted the corps more funding than the previous administration over a similar period and that Louisiana has received far more money for civil works projects than any other state. The paper says much of the funding has been spent not on flood control, but on lawmakers' pet construction projects, including a brand new $750 million canal lock in New Orleans unrelated to flood control.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168846,00.html

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Louisiana! Who remembers the Long regimes?

6. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi OldRegular: I’ve also heard and believe that the City of NO voted in 1971 to spend money on a new Super-dome instead of using the money to upgrade the levees.

7. OldRegular

Wouldn't doubt it. The rationale would be how much money it brings in!

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi OldRegular: I’ve also heard and believe that the City of NO voted in 1971 to spend money on a new Super-dome instead of using the money to upgrade the levees. </font>[/QUOTE]They are forking over 2-3 million dollars a year right now to the New Orleans Saints related to the use of the Superdome.

Drown happy. You have a NFL team in town. :(

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thanks Old Reg!

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Withdrawn to start new thread.

12. OldRegular

1. It looks more and more like the Governor of Louisana is the primary culprit. Her refusal to deny aid by the Red Cross and the Salvation Army [who are apparently designated as First Responders in the FEMA legislation] to people in the Superdome and Convention center is disgraceful.

2. The mayor of NO who did not use those school buses to move people out is next in line. The water apparently did not flood the engines so they were usable unless they were cut off by deeper water.

3. FEMA, which is not a First Responder, but supposedly a coordinator needs to be reconstituted, or at the least its legal responsibilities need to be defined for all.

4. Constitutionally the role of the Federal Government is limited in certain cases. However, that usually does not stop them especially when it cpmes to taking our money. That being said Bush would have been d***d whatever he did.

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't it be better to have an administrative review of what happened in response to the tragedy than to have a political hearing in Washington DC? We have had so many studies and commissions the last 60 years and nothing ever comes of them. The executive branch should compile an official chronology of the events concerning the official acts of the local, city, county, state, and federal authorities. And leave it to the politicians to fling mud, of which there seems to be no short supply in New Orleans.

I hope that the US taxpayers do not have to spend billions to reconstruct a seaside city below sea level, but it seems that is what is being demanded of us. I am being asked to pay taxes so that people can live in a place that mother nature would have underwater 24/7.

Doesn't anyone want to move on to higher ground?

Isn't it curious how the phrase, "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!" has become respectable again and how peoples' ears itch to hear it?

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Good points, church mouse guy!

At the national level, the Constitution does not provide express powers for Congress to investigate but by implied power and practice they've been doing it for a long time. They're going to do so again for this incident and it will be influenced by politics as nearly all things human likely are.

The various executive agencies - city, parish, state, and federal - will also make investigations as they well should.

Faults will be found and others will remain for the next failures to uncover.

We, the mere "arm chair quarterbacks" of society, will also debate these matters as we learn more about who did or didn't do what, when, how, and why.

The majority of the focus will be upon government responsibility at the city, parish or county, state, and federal levels. That's a part of it but I think the greater problems more effective solutions rest much closer to home with the people as individuals and in neighborhoods.

It is us that must learn to deal with emergencies of natural disasters, man-made accidents, criminal acts, and even war at a local level. I've already seen big differences in how various groupings of those effected have dealt with the problem. Some are completely dependent upon government even demanding it while others are taking care of their own and already looking forward to where they go from where they are by their own efforts. What's revealed to me in all that's happened is how dependent many of us - the majority of us - have become upon persons far away and how much responsibility we've surrendered and entrusted to them. We must learn to make our own decisions and live or die by them. We must learn to survive at the local level because some day we may find ourselves with federal and state governments not even able to function because of far greater blows that this hurricane has dealt us.

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Movies have been made and books written.

16. OldRegular

church mouse guy & Dragoon68

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Movies have been made and books written. </font>[/QUOTE]Huey Long was a legend when I grew up. He'd passed out enough bacon to earn himself a big following. Many people attributed Louisiana's public school and road improvements to him. Earl Long was a living legend of lessor proportions. I still remember my Father proclaiming the news of his (Earl's) demise as we were building a house a together. Edwin Edwards topped them all for outright corruption. Louisiana politics - city, parish, and state - is rather "colorful".