1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NT Wright

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo ;)

random smiley
    :tear:

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

That's pretty much what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. I guess the point I failed to properly state is that I see some people who just go blindly along with whatever someone else tells them the Scripture means. It certainly cuts down on personal study time, I suppose.

I love to read what others say, but I'll go to the Scripture first, and see what the Lord shows me on it.

Greektim - I hope you didn't take offense to what I wrote. It was certainly not my intention.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually it was $17 on half.com as I bought some study edition by error. I agree with you. The local Calvinist church has a library and a pastor that loves books and bible study. The Arminian church he does not love books not deep study but instead is more of a counselor and people person. Each has Thor gifts.. However he does know allot on eschatology and does read in this catageory..

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dumb iphone is hard to type on without errors. One reason I miss blackberry less spelling errors. Anyways GreekTim I made a few of then in my reply forgive me. No I did not intent to mention Thor, and he is no theologian but no question I bet such a culture would be interested in books on Asgard.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As do I. One reason I seriously questioned a comment a Calvinist writer said in a book last night as he is going well beyond scripture. He is no NT Scholar and his book shows this. I have read other books by NT scholars whom are not Calvinist that make better arguments despite how much I agree with Reformed thought. The scripture is sufficient and what this Calvinist author said I would dock a star in a review.

You are a tent maker? Well then maybe what I do should qualify as being in the ministry. I teach SS on occasion and am a street evangelist monthly and run a web ministry.

6. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I accepted the calling to the ministry about 12 years ago. I've been in the church all my life, but I guarantee you that our respective points of view on matters of ministry probably differ quite a bit. A fellow church-member the other day called me a "hardshell" Baptist.

I've never been to seminary, though I have no problem with people who do go. I'm not particularly fond of someone telling or teaching someone else how to preach, as I kind of hold to the notion that God will give us the words to say when the time comes, though having a strong knowledge base is not a bad idea. We just have to remember that "much study is a weariness to the flesh."

It's my belief that a man ought to work to provide for his family, however I do not see the work of a preacher as something that should be done for the financial reward. Perhaps my views on that are skewed by the TV evangelists who harp, hem, and haw for people to send them money. (I have a good joke about that...maybe I'll get to tell you that one someday.)

I'm not a "tent-maker," per se. I spent the last five years writing training and operator manuals for the US Army for communications equipment. I'm one of those guys who literally would have to kill you if I told you what all I actually knew. :smilewinkgrin:

I'm now working for a lab equipment company, designing operator and installer manuals for their equipment. Like I said, it pays the bills. Some people disagree with that point of view. My Mom and I came up with a saying many years ago, "Not my church; not my ways." Other people say "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back at ya. I hope I wasn't abrasive. I apologize if I was.

8. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is funny... each has Thor gifts. I wish I wielded a hammer like Thor.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I like his personality as well as that of Captain America. I probably could not work well with the other characters due to personality differences. Definitely Natisha and Tony Stark. I'd imagine us bumping heads all the time.

10. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's also funny. I always thought my personality was like ironman. Must be why we get along so great!

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well maybe me and him have some things in common with the panic attacks and he had it bad in Iron Man 3. I used to experience similar things. But I would guess it was the events in the Avengers that raised his anxiety and caused him issues. Panic attacks are not all mental and sometimes can only be control by medications due to chemical imbalances as in my case.

#31 evangelist6589, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just realized... you have over 4,000 posts!!! And you haven't been here that long. Holy frijole!

Edit: you've been here longer than I realized.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    www.ligonier.org/ learn/ articles/ whats-wrong-wright-examining-new-perspective-paul/
    reformedacademic.blogspot.com/ 2011/ 09/ what-are-we-to-do-with-nt-wright.html
    Please read that information!

While we can be thankful for the work of NT Wright in establishing the valdidty of the resurrection of Christ, His attempt to redefine pauline Justification has been far less successful, as still hold to what the reformrs and others saw Paul as saying there regarding how a sinner is reconciled back to God by the death of christ!

#33 Yeshua1, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  14. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't condense the brilliance of a man around one issue. NT Wright is more than just a voice on the NPP. He is a staunch defender of the historical Jesus according to the Gospel accounts as well as the bodily resurrection. That alone makes him alright in my book since he has a readership of liberal as well as non Christian academics. I refuse to throw the baby out with the bathwater just b/c you don't like his view of Paul's meaning of a Greek word (which is really what the NPP is all about).

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the book I am getting have any NPP? He is a NT scholar no question about it. I do not like the Rob Bell endorsement but I will strive to read the book despite it.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just remember that NT Wright does not seem to uphold a Inerrant view of the scriptures, and that the Church has mistaken pauline Justification past 2000 years, as the reformers just "missed it"

That right there would be a red flag to me...

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    His argument is not that the Church has mistaken Pauline Justification these past 2000 years. It is that the Reformers understood Pauline Justification through the lens of what they were going through and that we mistakenly take up a Reformation view of Justification rather than allowing Scripture to dictate that view.

18. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is saying that he is helping the church to rediscover what it once knew to be true but has been lost b/c of the dominance of the RCC (dark ages) and the Reformers based their understanding of justification on that context.

As to his views of inerrancy, he may be more liberal than I am on that one, but I allow for mistakes as well... so long as I can clarify what I mean (but that is for another thread).

I don't advocate all of Wright wholesale, but he does nonetheless have the ear of the world and I for one want to join in and listen.

19. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that I recall. Even if it did, I can't see it affecting anything negatively.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That would be understandable. Reformed theology got heavily influenced by Catholicism and moved away from everything except catholic eschatology. But you know what I am reading a 4 view on revelation book and will let them explain their views to me better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.