1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NT Wright's view on Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 10, 2016.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I conflated a couple of your posts:
    Ok... he does not believe or teach soul sleep. He simply points out the misappropriated focus on a disembodied existence in heaven (life after death) rather than the biblical focus of restoration and new creation (life AFTER life after death).

Defending Wright is almost a full time job here on the BB. This vitriol is unwarranted.

I'm curious. What exactly have you read of Wright (not stuff by others about Wright)? I posted another thread a while back about a challenge concerning Wright. I have a feeling you would fail the challenge. Though I could be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize for not clearly stating my comment on this book. I was not saying that Wright denies we are in the presence of Christ when we die. I was saying that both Scripture and Wright point to another final goal than where we end up when we die. Wright was simply not arguing what you are creating his argument to be.

I don't agree with Wright on all issues (on many, in fact). But we need to examine what others say with care or not at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough. The O.P. seemed to suggest otherwise.

Without disagreeing that the Church has lost her emphasis on the New Creation, I believe the Bible also has plenty to say on the 'intermediate state.' Christians are with their Lord the very moment they die.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems you are responding to a misrepresentation of what Wright has stated. I don't think that anyone here denies this 'intermediate state' of being with Christ (certainly Wright doesn't). Wright's contention seems to be that many today have blended this 'intermediate state' with the final state whereas Paul's emphasis is in our hope of a new life within a new creation in the presence of God as revealed in the resurrection of Christ. I believe he is right on this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I read his articles on line. He has articles on the sacraments that are posted on line. Wright says that "works are done not to earn privilege, but to demonstrate it, they are an attempt to confine grace to one race." He made this statement in reference to Romans and Paul's view of justification without works. This statement by Wright shows that he either does not understand Romans 4:1-5 or does understand it and is intentionally perverting the contextual meaning of works in that passage. Works in that passage predates Israel or the Law and therefore cannot be defined as Wright defines them. Abraham's work prior to his justification is the subject in Romans 4:1-5, therefore the nature of those works cannot possible be restricted or confined to Israel or the Mosaic Law. Paul's definition of works is simply anything and everything that is associated with your internal or external actions regardless if is before or after justification. Jesus defines evil works beginning internally with wrong "thoughts" that are externally manifested in wrong words and actions, and the reverse is true of "good" works. Like the Seventh Day Adventists, Wright defines "good" works that ultimately justify us as products of the Holy Spirit and His progressive sanctification thus confusing justification, which is based solely and only on the works performed in the physical body of Christ on earth without any kind of assoication with us other than representative. Justification is imputation not impartation of Christ's righteousness, whereas progressive sanctification is impartation not imputation of Christ's righteousness. There was no vitriol in my statement. It was pure conviction being stated in the strongest terms. I have no personal animosity toward Wright, but I wholly despise his views.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most important aspect of the issue is that we stand in the presence of God. Our redemption, creation, and the New Creation is about the glory of God, and we will both experience the presence of God in a way that we do not now and reflect His glory in a way we do not now. Our focus on the New Creation is all about God's glory and not man's (what will be it's greatest aspect will not be things like literal streets of gold but dwelling with God).

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is off topic, brother. What is being discussed is Wrights position on Heaven and the New Creation. You are right in that he believes Soteriology and Eschatology are inseparably linked, but wrong in that his view of justification is not the topic here (it would be like arguing against Calvin or Luther because of their view on baptism if the topic were justification). If you whole despise his views of the new creation then this is a good place to post those disagreements.

If, however, your contention is against his NPP, perhaps you need to begin a new thread (which would be interesting as even though I don't accept his NPP I think you have missed his position a bit here).

http://ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Justification_Biblical_Basis.pdf

8. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was just responding to your post. I was not trying to change the topic. My response was to your words:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for clarifying. My apologies.

But those were not my words (although I agree with Greektim). My question was where you disagreed with his view of heaven.

I just didn't want to get too off track, even if I were the cause. I think the NPP could be an interesting topic for a thread.

10. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be extremely helpful if you not only quoted him but also provided the link of the quotation.

I humbly request that because I suspect he is not talking about Rom 4 but Rom 2. And I think he may be presenting the arguments of Judaism of his day ("attempt to confine grace to one race"). If that is the case, then it appears you don't understand him at all, as I have accused.

But this can be cleared up with a link or citation to this quote.

EDIT:

So I checked, and as I suspected, you misrepresented and misunderstand Wright's statement. You even misquoted him!!! This kind of false representation is in the same vein as Gail Riplinger's attempts to smear in her terrible books. I would encourage you to be more judicious in your quoting and understanding of Wright.

Now here is the entire quote in context from "Justification: The Biblical Basis and its Relevance for Contemporary Evangelicalism" (accessed: http://ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Justification_Biblical_Basis.pdf)

As I thought, this isn't about Romans 4, but it began with Romans 2 and mainly 3.

Second, he clearly admits "justification by faith". However, his understanding of justification as it pertains to those in the Judaizer camp is that Jews access the promises of Abraham through their physical decent. Thus they boast in their ethnic heritage. Therefore, the works they perform are not a means of attaining their status as the people of God but of demonstrating their status. This is not what Wright believes but explaining what many Jews of Paul's day believed!

Third, with that context in mind, Wright's statement (quoted correctly with scare quotes and a colon), the "works" performed by the Jews in order to demonstrate their ethnic status in Abraham and thus boast is an attempt to confine grace to Jews only and not Gentiles. Thus this paragraph began with removing ethnic partiality with God providing salvation to all mankind.

Lastly, the only thing you would probably object to is that Wright claims Paul is not arguing against legalism in Romans. But that hardly makes him a heretic.

#50 Greektim, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has taken up the argument against Wright's view of justification here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/threads/wright-is-wrong-on-justification.99703/#post-2228390